[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

(excuse my pity english i try to tell as the best i can what i want to say)

I think you should create a piece that would be very helpful with this pack.

Especially with the "bigelow style inflato" parts.

It would be just a rotor. The size you want (maybe 1.25) with two attach nodes, which would only turn.

To help create vessels that simulate artificial gravity.

Something like this (rapidly):

ZWrRAVB.jpg

Really simple, but very usefull. I don't know what you thinking about and if create the rotation effect is hard or no. :)

It would be just a rotor. The size you want (maybe 1.25) with two attach nodes, which would only turn.

http://i.imgur.com/ZWrRAVB.jpg

Really simple, but very usefull. I don't know what you thinking about and if create the rotation effect is hard or no. :)

you should look at infernal robotics. they have something that can do that

Would be nice if we could operate the habitats in the VAB/SPH with tweakables to see if stuff clears each other when inflated etc.

I concur

Additionally, that Orbital Orb is gonna make an awesome set of escape pods! And it fits in nearly perfectly with the stock parts list! Love this mod!

Yes an no, you can tweak em to not respond to input and have no friction to make them basically a ball bearing, then attach engines of some description to make it spin, ants for example, each time you time-warp it stops though obviously.

I completely support this idea. Sure, you can make centrifuges using Infernal Robotics, but it's messy, inpractical, and generally unsafe for your craft.

Well adding actual rotation to a craft is pretty dangerous, pretty sure the rotating hab doesn't actually rotate as such, aka the mass moving around, I'm not sure if KSP's physics engine simulates gyroscopic effects or not, if it does, turning a craft with a spinning part would be pretty hard, and if you don't have an even number of rotating parts that balance the mass rotation both ways your craft would start to spin, LLL had a rotating habitat looking a lot like the earlier sketch, 2 rectangular habitats on the end of a long swing-arm, I tried them, they made craft behave very weirdly, even with 2 rotating opposite directions I got "hoola-hoop" like effects, the habs made the entire rocket flex back and forth in time with the habitats spinning, and controlling it was a nightmare.

Well adding actual rotation to a craft is pretty dangerous, pretty sure the rotating hab doesn't actually rotate as such, aka the mass moving around, I'm not sure if KSP's physics engine simulates gyroscopic effects or not, if it does, turning a craft with a spinning part would be pretty hard, and if you don't have an even number of rotating parts that balance the mass rotation both ways your craft would start to spin, LLL had a rotating habitat looking a lot like the earlier sketch, 2 rectangular habitats on the end of a long swing-arm, I tried them, they made craft behave very weirdly, even with 2 rotating opposite directions I got "hoola-hoop" like effects, the habs made the entire rocket flex back and forth in time with the habitats spinning, and controlling it was a nightmare.

Can't you make a centrifuge with two arms act like the circular rotating hab though? Make the part move as a single mass, so you don't get the weird hoola-hoop effects?

Hello Guys, Infernal Robotics guys are already working on what you're looking for. Might just take a while till its done tho.

Sirkut already showed that it's possible:

Would be nice if we could operate the habitats in the VAB/SPH with tweakables to see if stuff clears each other when inflated etc.

I would like this too. All it requires is that Squad continues on what they have started and make moduleAnimateGeneric a tweakable. You can also try out the Tweakable Everythings mod, it might work with the hab.

What are you doing, not on the front page? Get back there!

Thanks! :wink:

Can't you make a centrifuge with two arms act like the circular rotating hab though? Make the part move as a single mass, so you don't get the weird hoola-hoop effects?

That's exactly what it was, yes the mass should in theory be balanced but it still acted like that, I think actual rotation isn't something KSP's physics can handle that well, I have no idea if the rotating habitats in this pack actually spin or not

You can also try out the Tweakable Everythings mod, it might work with the hab.

Doesn't sadly.

Edited by K3|Chris

Hello Guys, Infernal Robotics guys are already working on what you're looking for. Might just take a while till its done tho.

Sirkut already showed that it's possible:

This was an old design, before the model rework. I would be very eager to collaborate with Porkjet (since he's assisting with IR texturing anyway) on providing a range of habitats that spin using IR.

Well adding actual rotation to a craft is pretty dangerous, pretty sure the rotating hab doesn't actually rotate as such, aka the mass moving around, I'm not sure if KSP's physics engine simulates gyroscopic effects or not, if it does, turning a craft with a spinning part would be pretty hard...

It doesn't explicity simulate gyroscopic forces, however when I tried making a setup with the prototype part, there was certainly strong resistance to yaw and pitch motions.

http://i.imgur.com/ZWrRAVB.jpg

The gyroscopic effects don't works with KSP (in the same part set). I've tried it but there is 0g on the Double-C Seismic Accelerometer attached to my modules HAB. Moreover, the warp time stop all rotation...

You know what else would be amazing? A small backpack-looking part that could be inflated into a single-kerbal tent. Something that could be used with KAS: stored on a bin, carried by a kerbal on EVA, dropped and inflated on the ground. It would be a great asset for kerbals on long plane or rover trips.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.