[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

The file at fault seems to be the ScienceDefs file. Remove that and the science buttons appear.

So what is the ScienceDefs file conflicting with.

Any incompatible mods?

The ScienceDefs file defines the experiments. You have duplicate experiment definitions somewhere. Did you upgrade from an earlier version of this mod? Did you not delete the old folder?

The ScienceDefs file defines the experiments. You have duplicate experiment definitions somewhere. Did you upgrade from an earlier version of this mod? Did you not delete the old folder?

Yeah I did delete the old folder. Or so I thought.

I found my log file how do I link it or post it?

- - - Updated - - -

YEAH!

Fixed it!

You was right there was duplicate.

But not from a old file. Some reason a duplicate copy of your mod was hidden in another mods folder. No idea how it got there but I deleted it and its fixed it.

Yeah I did delete the old folder. Or so I thought.

I found my log file how do I link it or post it?

- - - Updated - - -

YEAH!

Fixed it!

You was right there was duplicate.

But not from a old file. Some reason a duplicate copy of your mod was hidden in another mods folder. No idea how it got there but I deleted it and its fixed it.

You might have accidentially put it in another mod folder instead of gamedata, happened once to me. Though instead of minor duplication, module manager was getting stuck.

Can anybody explain why the Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons part has two clickable options but only one of them provides science?

Same reason why the drill, laser, and x-ray diffraction have those options. Say maybe you're doing a video and don't want to actually do the science bit.

Or maybe you want to test in VAB/SPH that it's targeting in the direction you want it to.

Same reason why the drill, laser, and x-ray diffraction have those options. Say maybe you're doing a video and don't want to actually do the science bit.

Or maybe you want to test in VAB/SPH that it's targeting in the direction you want it to.

Yea but the DAN doesn't move at all... It just glows.

I also tried to make the distinction between the two much clearer. In the latest version they all say "systems check" or something like that, and the actual science collection button says "collect data" or something along those lines.

Yea but the DAN doesn't move at all... It just glows.

Think of it as a very small scale movement.

All of these parts are very configurable. If you don't want the animation toggle to display you can just turn it off the in the part's config file.

A handful of lines control the visibility of these options. None of these affect the actual data collection button.

showStartEvent = false //Set this to false to prevent the start animation from showing
showEndEvent = false //This is automatically turned off for the rover parts and anything else that uses one-way animations
showToggleEvent = true //This is the line used by most of the probe parts that have extended and retracted settings
showEditorEvents = true //This turns on or off the VAB/SPH options to play the animation

You probably want to finish any existing contracts before updating, the standard survey contracts should be fine, but any other DMagic contracts will have problems, though you should still be able to finish them. Surface and biological activity surveys have been changed to use the FinePrint waypoint system, Module Manager is needed for these to be added.

Can you give any details about what sort of problems I can expect? My current save has a couple of "survey of the magnetic field environment" missions in progress with over a year left on the clock. I play a pretty slow game, without much timewarping, so I don't expect to finish those missions soon, but I'd prefer not to postpone upgrading indefinitely.

Can you give any details about what sort of problems I can expect? My current save has a couple of "survey of the magnetic field environment" missions in progress with over a year left on the clock. I play a pretty slow game, without much timewarping, so I don't expect to finish those missions soon, but I'd prefer not to postpone upgrading indefinitely.

All magnetic survey contracts will revert to default mission settings. The eccentricity requirement will be set to 0.2, inclination to 20, and the duration to 100 days (Kerbin days I think, it should handle the conversion to Earth days properly since it's defined by the number of seconds, but I haven't tested it). The science collection objectives won't be affected, if you've already completed them they will stay that way.

All of the orbital objectives will also reset to being incomplete, you'll have to visit each vessel to restart the timer for each contract (if you have multiple vessels completing a survey just visit each one once).

So unless you have a contract with a time of less than 100 days before it expires you should be fine. And if you have surveys that have been accepted, but you haven't started yet, they'll basically be switched to easy mode.

• 2 weeks later...

The core aspects of Orbital Science seem to be working OK, science collection works, but a few updates are needed for 1.0 compatibility; old version won't work in KSP 1.0.

I'll need to do more testing to make sure things are working correctly, I'll also need to sort out the new tech tree and check new biomes (if there are any).

A second update will probably be necessary to handle all of the interop issues (Community Tech Tree, KAS/KIS, SCANsat, etc...).

The core aspects of Orbital Science seem to be working OK, science collection works, but a few updates are needed for 1.0 compatibility; old version won't work in KSP 1.0.

I'll need to do more testing to make sure things are working correctly, I'll also need to sort out the new tech tree and check new biomes (if there are any).

A second update will probably be necessary to handle all of the interop issues (Community Tech Tree, KAS/KIS, SCANsat, etc...).

So what your saying is three days to a week depending on other mod authors

Can't start career until you finish your Magic. I love these science parts and I integrated them into my game. Thank you for your efforts.

I'm pretty sure there are no new biomes. They may have made tweaks to existing ones though, no idea.

Can't wait to use this mod to make a skylab of sorts over Kerbin.

I'm pretty sure there are no new biomes. They may have made tweaks to existing ones though, no idea.

Can't wait to use this mod to make a skylab of sorts over Kerbin.

Yeah, I saw. That's disappointing, since I swear we saw some previews of new Duna biomes at some point.

There have been a few changes to how science experiments work, but nothing that requires major changing.

The actual bugs have been fixed, I just need to run through everything, especially the contracts and probably some asteroid experiments to make sure they are still working.

I'm positive too I heard tell that TanukiChau was working on extending the biomes. Bummer

I believe TanujiChau had some health issues that might have pushed back any biome extention. I saw her on the live twitch they did pre release, and she had a rough time of it.