HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

He means you do not want to have two different ModuleManager DLLs anywhere in your GameData folders. This could happen because you have two versions of MM in the same location:

GameData\ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

GameData\ModuleManager_2_0_3.dll

Or you could install some mod which includes module manager, and does not "properly" install it in GameData:

GameData\SomeModThatRequiresMM\ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

GameData\ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

However: do not worry too much about this. I am almost certain that ModuleManager (of any recent version) detects when multiple copies of itself have been loaded and it warns you (at the Main Menu screen).

The VER. 2.** yes it does detect but you could have 1.5.6 and lower try and run at same time and things would get buggy.

Trying now!

Edit:

I followed your instructions and there is no change. If it helps this is what the poodle looks like

http://i.imgur.com/x59FcOz.png

I am having a problem with the poodle as well. I looked over the HR config for the poodle engine FX and I didn't see anything out of place. I'll look again and compare with one of the other engines.

I am having a problem with the poodle as well. I looked over the HR config for the poodle engine FX and I didn't see anything out of place. I'll look again and compare with one of the other engines.

Thats what the FX was changed to so it's more real in space, There is very little if any flame in space.

Edit-- I wish all the engine at a set Atmosphere would look like the poodles FX is.

Edited by Mecripp2

Hot Rockets appears to be causing some of my action groups to disappear, specifically those bound to stock engines. When I've got the MP_Nazari folder in gamedata any craft that I create on that install will be affected.

For example my recent Jian SSTO which I posted on the forum. I created this craft in 0.23 after installing Hot Rockets. I think HR might have corrupted this craft file because when I paste it into another install (vanilla or modded), action group 1 is lost.

Now, when I edit this craft in a clean install of KSP 0.23.5 by removing the affected part (the turbojet in this case), then adding a new turbojet and reassigning the action group, I can then successfully paste this craft into another clean install without losing the action group. If I try pasting this 'fixed' craft into an install with Hot Rockets it loses the action group again, regardless of whether I use an up to date version of modulemanager.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's hard to explain.

Edited by Narcosis

I've had Hot Rockets since 0.22 and it appears to be causing some of my action groups to disappear, specifically those bound to stock engines. When I've got the MP_Nazari folder in gamedata any craft that I create on that install will be affected.

For example my recent Jian SSTO which I posted on the forum. I created this craft in 0.23 after installing Hot Rockets. I think HR might have corrupted this craft file because when I paste it into another install (vanilla or modded), action group 1 is lost.

Now, when I edit this craft in a clean install of KSP 0.23.5 by removing the affected part (the turbojet in this case), then adding a new turbojet and reassigning the action group, I can then successfully paste this craft into another clean install without losing the action group. If I try pasting this 'fixed' craft into an install with Hot Rockets it loses the action group again, regardless of whether I use an up to date version of modulemanager.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's hard to explain.

How did you play with HotRockets since 0.22 when it was released after 0.23 came out :wink:

How did you play with HotRockets since 0.22 when it was released after 0.23 came out :wink:

Oops, my mistake. I was copy/pasting most of what I wrote in the modulemanager thread and forgot to remove that bit. It's taken me quite a while to nail down exactly which mod was causing this.

B9 Turbine, N1 Compressor animation got disabled. Is there a fix to this?

This seems to be an issue with Firespitter. The propellerSpinner module interacts with moduleEngines, not ModuleEnginesFX.

I've had Hot Rockets since 0.22 and it appears to be causing some of my action groups to disappear

This might be caused by the craft file containing moduleEnginesFX(saved with HotRockets installed) and the engine no longer using that module name with the stock cfg.

This might be caused by the craft file containing moduleEnginesFX(saved with HotRockets installed) and the engine no longer using that module name with the stock cfg.

Thanks for getting back to me Nazari.

How can I remove this parameter from the old craft files, is it just a matter of deleting or modifying a certain line? I can't see anything that relates specifically to moduleEnginesFX in any of my old craft. I really like HotRockets and it'd be a shame if I had to leave it out of my install just because it bugs a few of my favourite craft.

I can't see anything that relates specifically to moduleEnginesFX in any of my old craft.

If you search for moduleEnginesFX in craft files with notepad, you can try replacing it with moduleEngines and see if it fixes the actiongroup bug.

If you search for moduleEnginesFX in craft files with notepad, you can try replacing it with moduleEngines and see if it fixes the actiongroup bug.

Doesn't work unfortunately. I think I might have found what's causing the problem though:

The old version of HR placed modules for the turbojet in this order:

• ModuleAnimateHeat
  • ModuleGimbal
  • ModuleAlternator
  • ModuleEnginesFX

When the modules are in this order it still works in stock KSP:

• ModuleEngines
  • ModuleAnimateHeat
  • ModuleGimbal
  • ModuleAlternator

In both cases the custom01 action group is associated with ModuleEnginesFX/ModuleEngines. The only other difference is that ModuleAlternator has a resource parameter, but I've tried adding that in separately and it still loses the action groups when loaded. That makes me think that the order of the modules is causing the action group to reset.

EDIT: Aaaargh, HR still reorders the modules for some reason after you save the craft. Guess I'll just have to have 2 installs, one for building and the other for my persistent.

Edited by Narcosis

Is there an incompatibility between this mod and 0.23.5? I'm not sure if it's SmokeScreen or Hot Rockets but I'm getting a missing texture for the smoke particle effects on the stock SRB (the really short one). I'm using this mod for the Renaissance artistic mod. This is what happens:

http://i.imgur.com/uP2hVIk.png ; http://i.imgur.com/Z04h6EV.jpg

Any ideas?

Is there an incompatibility between this mod and 0.23.5? I'm not sure if it's SmokeScreen or Hot Rockets but I'm getting a missing texture for the smoke particle effects on the stock SRB (the really short one). I'm using this mod for the Renaissance artistic mod. This is what happens:

http://i.imgur.com/uP2hVIk.png ; http://i.imgur.com/Z04h6EV.jpg

Any ideas?

Renaissance artistic mod replaces some FX and textures look in KSP/GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/Squad/FX should be 3 *.png's in there.

Edit And thing he added some to the Hotrockets mod 2 and coolrocks but it looks like just smoke.

Edited by Mecripp2

Doesn't work unfortunately. I think I might have found what's causing the problem though:

The old version of HR placed modules for the turbojet in this order:

• ModuleAnimateHeat
  • ModuleGimbal
  • ModuleAlternator
  • ModuleEnginesFX

When the modules are in this order it still works in stock KSP:

• ModuleEngines
  • ModuleAnimateHeat
  • ModuleGimbal
  • ModuleAlternator

In both cases the custom01 action group is associated with ModuleEnginesFX/ModuleEngines. The only other difference is that ModuleAlternator has a resource parameter, but I've tried adding that in separately and it still loses the action groups when loaded. That makes me think that the order of the modules is causing the action group to reset.

EDIT: Aaaargh, HR still reorders the modules for some reason after you save the craft. Guess I'll just have to have 2 installs, one for building and the other for my persistent.

Known issue with KSP: the craft loader depends on modules being in the same order and will fail to load data if they are not. Load your craft in the VAB, rebuilt it as desired, then save it. Open the .craft file and note the order of the MODULE nodes in the part(s) affected. Now open your persistence.sfs file and find the craft(s) affected, find the part(s) in them affected, and reorder the MODULE nodes as necessary.

Module manager god updated and now says that Hotrocket contains two errors in MP_Narari.cfg when its loading all the parts. Just a heads up :) Might be Renaissance artistic mod as well.

The error is that there is a space in one of the names @PART[Courier Solid Rocket] // Courier I SRB if you made it look like this fixes the error @PART[Courier?Solid Rocket] // Courier I SRB

Firstly, cheers for making these great engine effects! Scond, i think i installed it wrong beacuse the stock ones shoots flames nonstop hmm..

Check to see if you have 2 ModuleManager *.*.* files you just need 1 in KSP/GameData/ if you have to things get buggy some times modders put them in there mod folder.

Edit- And if your using NovaPunch there are a couple of engines do that then, You just have to edit them out of np_hotrockets.cfg

Edit- Hope it helped.

Edited by Mecripp2

Check to see if you have 2 ModuleManager *.*.* files you just need 1 in KSP/GameData/ if you have to things get buggy some times modders put them in there mod folder.

Edit- And if your using NovaPunch there are a couple of engines do that then just have to edit them out of np_hotrockets.cfg

Thanks for the fast reply:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.