HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

shure:

localRotation = 0,0,0

You should address your problem in smokescreen thread.

PS:in order for me to help you,you need to post whole *cfg for specific booster and where is part coming from so i can test it .

Booster is here

This is my edited cfg. Everything works fine, i just can't get the fx to the correct angle. Adding localRotation isn't doing anything either, is that for smokescreen only?

PART
{

name = SLS block 1 boosterS
module = Part
author = Maccollo

mesh = SpiceLaunchSystem\parts\5segmentBooster\AKT_5-segmentBooster.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 0.5

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -23.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_top = 0.0, 23.6, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_attach = -1.85, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 3

TechRequired = start
entryCost = 525
cost = 525

category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = 5 segment AKT booster S
manufacturer = AKT.
description = five segmented version of the STS solid rocket. orginally flown on the cancelled Ares 1 rocket it is now a stop-gap booster to be used with the SLS.

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.875
}

EFFECTS
{
powerflame
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = SpiceLaunchSystem/sound/boosterLoop
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
prefabName = fx_exhaustFlame_yellow
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.5
speed = 1.0 1.2
localRotation = 0, 0, 90
}
}
powersmoke
{

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST
{
name = smokethrust
modelName = KSO/FX/srbkso
emission = 0.0 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.07 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.2 0.4 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 1.0 1.1 // Curve for emission like stock
energy = 0.0 0.2 // Same for energy
energy = 1.0 3.0 // Same for energy
speed = 0.0 1.0 // And speed
speed = 1.0 0.8 // And speed
grow = 0.0 0.0 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )
grow = 1.0 0.097 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )
scale = 0.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%
scale = 1.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%
offset = 0.0 0.0 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters
offset = 1.0 0.5 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters
size = 0.0 3.0 // Rescale the particles to +0%
size = 1.0 3.0 // Rescale the particles to +0%

renderMode = "Billboard" // Render mode : Billboard / SortedBillboard / HorizontalBillboard / VerticalBillboard / Stretch
collide = false // Collision active or not
collideRatio = 0 // how the particles react on collision. 1 is a mirror bounce, 0 is go parallel to the hit surface
fixedScale = 1.0 // Fixed rescale of the particle emitter (for when you rescale the model)

sizeClamp = 50 // Limits particle size. Default to 50

// ***************
// From here the value are not the default anymore.
// ***************

angle = 0.0 1.0 // Display if the angle between the emitter transform and camera is lower than 45°
angle = 45.0 1.0
angle = 50.0 1.0
distance = 0.0 1.0 // Display if the distance to camera is higher than 110
distance = 100.0 1.0
distance = 110.0 1.0

emission // Modulate emission from mach and density curve. You can add other section for size, energy, speed, grow, offset and scale
{
mach = 0.0 1.0
mach = 0.8 1.0 // don't display until mach .8
mach = 1.0 1.0
density = 1.0 1.0
density = 0.4 1.0 // don't display over .4 atmo
density = 0.3 1.0
density = 0.002 1.0
density = 0.001 0.0 // and stop under .001
}
energy // Modulate emission from mach and density curve. You can add other section for size, energy, speed, grow, offset and scale
{
mach = 0.0 2.55
mach = 0.8 1.75 // mach .8
mach = 1.0 0.99
//density = 1.0 1.0
//density = 0.4 1.0 // .4 atmo
//density = 0.3 1.0
//density = 0.002 1.0
//density = 0.001 0.0 // under .001
}
grow // Modulate emission from mach and density curve. You can add other section for size, energy, speed, grow, offset and scale
{
mach = 0.0 0.11
mach = 0.8 0.07 // mach .8
mach = 1.0 0.0
//density = 1.0 1.0
//density = 0.4 1.0 // .4 atmo
//density = 0.3 1.0
//density = 0.002 1.0
//density = 0.001 0.0 // under .001
}
}

}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = SpiceLaunchSystem/sound/boosterStart
volume = 1.0
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}
disengage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
oneShot = false
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}

mass = 17.795

dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.20
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 10
maxTemp = 3400

stagingIcon = SOLID_BOOSTER

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
//engineID = rocketengine
runningEffectName = powersmoke
directThrottleEffectName = powerflame
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
throttleLocked = True
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 3050.6
heatProduction = 100
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.0
PROPELLANT
{
name = SolidFuel
ratio = 1.0
DrawGauge = True
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 267
key = 1 237
}

}
RESOURCE
{
name = SolidFuel
amount = 10525
maxAmount = 10525
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGimbal
gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
gimbalRange = 0.5
}

}

PREFAB_PARTICLE are stock effect. Adding SmokeScreen parameters to them won't change anything.

All the stock part that use a PREFAB_PARTICLE use a different transform name, so I guess the stock effect are not aligned with the transform.

Use MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE (stock) or a MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST.

Is anyone able to give me some pointers for developing my own configs? I would, of course, share back with the community. I really want to build configs that allow for a much more realistic exhaust plumes. I've been watching a lot of launch videos and doing a lot of reading to get a feel for launch plumes, and everything leads me to believe that Kerbal doesn't come close to portraying what a real launch is like. I have some questions:

1. Is this even possible with smokescreen, hot rockets, and Kerbal? Will the game and engine support this?

2. If #1 is possible, is there anyone who can assist me with building these configs?

Here's my research. I am only linking things, rather than embedding them, as some of these images are large, and those who aren't interested don't need to scroll through or load pictures hosted elsewhere:

Falcon 9

The best video of a launch that really has excellent focus on the engines and plume is this one, of a Falcon 9 launch:

At 1:50 into the video, approximately a minute and a half after liftoff, the Falcon 9 is passing through Max Q, and the exhaust plume radius is approximately three or four times the radius of the Falcon 9 launch vehicle:

At approximately 2 minutes into the launch, the Falcon 9 launch vehicle is at 33 km elevation, and the plume radius looks to be easily six times the radius of the launch vehicle.

At about 2:30 into the launch, the vehicle is at 58 km elevation, and the plume is massive, about 10x the radius (or more) of the launch vehicle.

Second stage engine ignites at about 3 minutes into the launch and the plume rapidly expands out past the edge of the picture with the camera zoomed in.

Apollo/Saturn 5

Here is the Saturn 5 launch vehicle very shortly after launch, with the condensation shock ring visible. The plume itself looks to be maybe 1.5x the radius of the vehicle, but the flame appears to be at least as long as the launch vehicle.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Apollo_11_launch.jpg

This picture shows the Saturn 5 1st stage with a plume of at least 5-6 times the radius of the launch vehicle:

http://www.ehartwell.com/afjwiki/images/4/49/KSC-69PC-413-detail.jpg

NASA has a very similar picture here (http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/apollo/apollo6/hires/s68-27366.jpg) and here (http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a410/ap10-KSC-69PC-188HR.jpg)

From this page (http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/space/apollo.html) we have an image of the S-IVB TransLunar Injection burn of Apollo 8, as captured on the ground from Hawaii:

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/space/a8_saomaui.jpg

This last image looks like the plume itself may be 100x or more longer than the vehicle, and a 1000x times its radius.

Is something like this even doable in Kerbal?

I agree, Cetera, I would love to see effects like that.

I wonder if a different approach is needed entirely to rendering the exhaust plume. My guess is that rendering performance is constrained by the number of particles. This mod generates a smoke trail of particles after launch, but in order to maintain performance it probably can't generate too many, which results in a trail of individual dots with visible spacing between them. I've noticed that in real launches with non-solid rockets, the plume tends to have a fixed length and becomes invisible after that (aside from atmospheric condensation effects), so rather than spending time generating a smoke trail which doesn't look good anyway, it can instead focus on a fixed-length plume with a fixed number of particles, or maybe using billboards for the plume.

https://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/IMAGES/HIGH/6761216.jpg is an example of the plume I'm talking about.

I might try coding this someday, but the biggest blocker is that I haven't done 3D graphics rendering in a while and have never used Unity, so it may take a while to figure things out.

• 3 weeks later...

right so I have worked through most problems with this but now the particle FX for the engine I'm making always point downwards, any idea as to why this is? can't find anything in the config that changes this I just assumed it would always point in a direction relative to the ship...

Edited by Squiggsy

Is it me or are the flames half way up stage 1?

http://www.ehartwell.com/afjwiki/images/4/49/KSC-69PC-413-detail.jpg

you can have exactly same effect like shown on your snapshot ,but you must consider the particle count!I guess(not guess,i know),if you use other "eye candy"mods FPS will drop considerably.

FYI:if you want larger effect try to adjust:

energy
{
power = 1
density = 1
}
speed
{
power = 1
density = 1
}

For more information,you should read this.

EDIT:there is another mod,which adresse RSS hotrockets,but i can't remember the name and i'm too lazy(like you :sticktongue: ) to search for it.

Edited by sebi.zzr

I'm updating the HotRockets entry on CKAN to the 0.90 version and I wonder if someone could confirm or deny that the community config pack is 0.90 compliant since it is marked as working only for 0.25 on curseforge.

Yes it works in .90

Well, sort of. I had to do a whole bunch of config editing and asking around in order to get this mod working when I used it. I eventually stopped all together because getting it to work with my other visual mods was becoming a bigger and bigger pain. Is there a chance someone will reboot this in an entirely new thread with an OFFICIAL 0.90 version? I would create a preview video for it if someone did so. ;)

Personally I think we'd get a more realistic result at launch if there were just some way to mod the launch pad to eject large clouds of "smoke" from transforms in the blastways below the pad and just leave that all behind on ascent...

you can change the FX that they use if that is what you want ?

EDIT- If you open the hotrockets folder you will see alot of *.MU so if you open your edit your cfg look for

EFFECTS
{
powerflame
{
{
name = flamethrust
[COLOR="#FF0000"]modelName = Engine_FX/flamestandard[/COLOR] <-------------- And the flame FX if you change this one to any of the *.MU files you see in the folder
fixedEmissions = false

speed
{
power = 0.0 1.70
power = 1.0 1.65
}
logGrow
{
density = 2.0 -1.0
density = 0.005 40.0
}
linGrow
{
density = 3.0 0.0 // was 1
density = 0.015 0.0 // was 0.005
density = 0.0 75.0
}
offset
{
density = 1.0 0.2
density = 0.005 0.3
density = 0.0 0.35
}
emission
{
density = 1.0 1.0
density = 0.005 0.6
density = 0.0 0.25
power = 0.0 0.0
power = 0.05 0.25
power = 0.75 1.21
power = 1.0 1.25
}
energy
{
density = 1.0 1.0
density = 0.005 0.8
density = 0.0 0.6
power = 0.0 0.33
power = 1.0 0.99

}
size
{
density = 1.0 1.0
density = 0.01 0.6
density = 0.0 0.5
}
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_rocket_hard
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
}
powersmoke
{
{
name = smokethrust
[COLOR="#FF0000"]modelName = Engine_FX/FX/smokebooster2[/COLOR] <---- Here the smoke its using
emission = 0.0 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.07 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.2 0.4 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 1.0 1.1 // Curve for emission like stock
energy = 0.0 0.2 // Same for energy
energy = 1.0 3.2 // Same for energy
speed = 0.0 1.0 // And speed
speed = 1.0 0.8 // And speed
grow = 0.0 0.0 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )
grow = 1.0 0.11 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )
scale = 0.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%
scale = 1.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%
offset = 0.0 0.0 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters
offset = 1.0 0.5 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters
size = 0.0 1.0 // Rescale the particles to +0%
size = 1.0 1.1 // Rescale the particles to +0%

Edited by Mecripp2

Personally I think we'd get a more realistic result at launch if there were just some way to mod the launch pad to eject large clouds of "smoke" from transforms in the blastways below the pad and just leave that all behind on ascent...

Heh I actually once back in 0.23 put rover wheels on stock SRBs and drove them off the pad up to the flame trenches with the idea of activating them before launch and keeping the camera angled for pictures such that only the smoke was visible. Still didn't look good enough tho :P Hopefully that holy grail of configs for trench smoke will pop up one of these days...

You know that smokescreen has an option that allow for that right (collision) ? Sure it require a beefy CPU but it works.

and I wish I could figure out how to get it to work properly but you may remember I did a whole bunch of experimenting last year and couldn't get anything to come out of just the flame trenches :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.