Spaceplane mouse flight control

In FSX, being a casual player, I use my mouse in lieu of a joystick, which I often feel more comfortable with, even if it is all wrong.

I would very much like to be able to press a keyboard button to toggle mouse flight control rather than use the WASDQE keys which make flying rigid and unnatural. Using the mouse would allow smooth, fine-grained adjustment of the control surfaces rather than having to continuously tap the key and flap yourself to level flight.

I suppose it might also be used for rockets and various other vehicles, but it would be intended for planes.

• 1 month later...

I second this - I'd love to be able to set some toggle key that would switch between using WASDQE and mouse movements to use control surfaces (ie, wherever your mouse was when you activated mouse-control mode is considered the "dead zone", moving away from that would act as if you're tilting a joystick more and more). The only real issue is that mouse movements are obviously only two-dimensional - you'd still need to use the keyboard for roll, better than nothing though.

Yes, Yes, YES! Please! Please Implement this SQUAD!

This is the exact way WarThunder works, and it is soooooooo good! Also, no this would mean we need to use the keyboard for yaw, not roll. If it is implemented like warthunder, moving the mouse to the side will roll and pitch at the same time. The closer to the "Dead-Zone" (as you called it) the mouse is, the less it will roll and pitch.

This would indeed be an interesting feature to have. I have not yet had any success in getting my (admittedly old) joystick to work with KSP so I have had to sate myself with using the keyboard to fly the maneuvers. I mostly see the mouse flying ability as being something you could toggle (like in FSX with Ctrl+Y) as I would really only use it one already in the air when fine maneuvers are needed. For take off I prefer the strong response of the keyboard.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think Squad should use Gaijin's War Thunder mouse controls as a model. Flying like that would make precise movements and dogfighting infinitely easier! PLEDGE MOUSE CONTROL TO SQUAD!!!!! I can guarantee every single player would benefit from having a toggle button from twitchy hard to use keyboard input to smooth easy to use mouse control.

Guys, what are you talking about? This thing

https://github.com/Crzyrndm/Analog-Control/releases

exists at least since 4 Nov 2014. And people still fly with keyboard...

14 hours ago, Alshain said:

@Gman_builder I think if they did it they would likely use the mod that does this as a model.  I don't think they will though, something in my gut tells me they wouldn't view that as something that belongs in the stock game.  Who knows though?

I don't like mouse aim. It's funny and feels like a ton of good code under the hood but it's too arcade.

And, with all respect, KSP is not the game about dogfighting planes.

Edited by Ser

On 6/2/2014 at 7:36 AM, Wolf123 said:

I really want this to happen! I hope some Modder might make this or squad could graciously implement it!

As always, there's a mod for that...

Neat, huh? :D

EDIT: this was still from 2014...*facepalm*

Edited by Atlas2342

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.