Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Well the launcher works, but I ended up using about 2k more d/v than I was planning, so things will need rethinking. The top orange tanks were supposed to be half full and provide the boost to the moon, but they're almost empty. I guess FAR took it's toll launching something so big.

Still.... the lander I put on top is terribly inefficient, so if I redesign that I should easily be able to get enough DV for the moon. I'm not sure if it'll be enough for Mars though.

fWKUfXB.png

7MYA18m.png

jKzR2IX.png

ryajnGz.png

Well the launcher works, but I ended up using about 2k more d/v than I was planning, so things will need rethinking. The top orange tanks were supposed to be half full and provide the boost to the moon, but they're almost empty. I guess FAR took it's toll launching something so big.

Still.... the lander I put on top is terribly inefficient, so if I redesign that I should easily be able to get enough DV for the moon. I'm not sure if it'll be enough for Mars though.

http://i.imgur.com/fWKUfXB.png

http://i.imgur.com/7MYA18m.png

http://i.imgur.com/jKzR2IX.png

http://i.imgur.com/ryajnGz.png

You live up to the name......

Ooh! Nice shuttle Gus! Into orbit yet?

Also, To avoid writing two posts I wanted to say that I think its possible to remove the stock fairing from any engine with any decoupler.

I will post my findings here later today. Along with sub assemblies for them too so you don't have to pull your hair out like I did. :D

MJ

Testing my Skylon SSTO, still have to add more fuel and take care of the fuel management, also it can take off only by dropping off the end of the runway :P since it is apparently too heavy and clipping control surfaces doesn't help much.

Don't know how but i got it into orbit.

14008498266_5a5571f6f4_o.png

14028381082_f927f35fb3_o.png

14008508946_fd14e3b39e_o.png

Flies with half the thing missing:

14008498396_ffba139cb5_o.png

Ooh! Nice shuttle Gus! Into orbit yet?

Also, To avoid writing two posts I wanted to say that I think its possible to remove the stock fairing from any engine with any decoupler.

I will post my findings here later today. Along with sub assemblies for them too so you don't have to pull your hair out like I did. :D

MJ

No orbit yet. This is going to be a real challenge. I need to copy Giggleplex's fuel flow technique and mess with the boosters. The biggest problem is that the TWR when the SRBs are running low is extremely high, causing the shuttle to pitch over. Then of course there's the always difficult issue of lining up the center of thrust and the center of mass after SRB separation.

No orbit yet. This is going to be a real challenge. I need to copy Giggleplex's fuel flow technique and mess with the boosters. The biggest problem is that the TWR when the SRBs are running low is extremely high, causing the shuttle to pitch over. Then of course there's the always difficult issue of lining up the center of thrust and the center of mass after SRB separation.

I know how tough it is Gus, keep at it and you will have a very nice shuttle!

MJ

Thanks! I think I might release it tomorrow, it is now very stable, and I made different versions(crew, science, docking only, etc.)+ I'll include it as a subassembly so you can put a satellite in the VAB and stick the Skylon to it :P

For now, here is my latest achievement with it:

14034784851_5f39843566_o.png

Stack just enough reaction wheels (inside the ET works well) to balance the Space Shuttle and its payload, but not too many so the mass stays low (keeping the payload fraction reasonably efficient!!) :).

By the way, iDan122, great job -- both on the ISS and Skylon! :)

Tanks Woopert,I might release a pack for the ISS, just need to put launchers under each segment which won't be debris in orbit and can be de-orbited if required. Btw the ISS and the Skylon is 600 parts, but if your pc can handle it, it isn't that much of a pain to dock, it just takes a little more time. I have to say, I love 0.23.5 mainly not for the SLS parts and asteroids, but for the engine update, it's like lag never existed :P