Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Using a stack separator as a radial decoupler, second one under Gusturbo's contributions in the OSCTCA thread.

You attach the fairing directly to the separator, and the clip it in between two stacked parts. It saves a few parts instead of having a radial decoupler set up for each part, but since my fairing always come apart in 2, 3 sometimes 4 parts, the amount saved isn't really worth it. As soon as you release the fairing, the separator wants to get out, which can lead to phantom forces, that mess up my retro rockets to deorbit upper stages. And if your brave or foolish enough to time-warp to apoapsis, it can end up somewhere else inside your craft, and explosions ensue. Or if you're lucky, get out and stay behind. Or come out after circularisation, leaving debris in orbit. And I'm allergic to the Kepler-effect *atchoo!* :P

Yeah, I didn't test it that much...

Aerodynamic effects?

*snip*

Nice :cool: One question though. How do I get them to properly align with themselves? For structural plates that's pretty easy, they sorta figure themselves out. But the wings sometimes want to attach at really odd angles, or nowhere near the middle which doesn't help in making 2 or 3 splitting fairings. Any tips for this novice?

I've already found out I could start the first row with plates, like I used to, and then build wings on that, that snap on like I want them to. Although I will have to reinforce them at the top this way, otherwise I'd up with a bunch of wobbly wing columns.

Yeah, I didn't test it that much...

Consider it thoroughly tested now :P

Edited by Kurotenshi

I have noticed the new administration building is the new cool place to showoff (small) VTOLs. Tight clearance, even in such a small thing, but nothing beats the view and you can show your flag!

ZZ6y0q0.png

In other news, it passed aribreathing VTOL testing with flying colours, and I think the wingform is set. Only the rocket VTOL system left to polish!

Rune. Yup, that's how the new Dart looks. You guys like it?

I have noticed the new administration building is the new cool place to showoff (small) VTOLs. Tight clearance, even in such a small thing, but nothing beats the view and you can show your flag!

http://i.imgur.com/ZZ6y0q0.png

In other news, it passed aribreathing VTOL testing with flying colours, and I think the wingform is set. Only the rocket VTOL system left to polish!

Rune. Yup, that's how the new Dart looks. You guys like it?

Oh yes, been testing my small VTOL on the helipad too. Just wish they put some stairs in for crew!

Is the stut on the wing necessary? And the visible fuel line?

Oh yes, been testing my small VTOL on the helipad too. Just wish they put some stairs in for crew!

Is the stut on the wing necessary? And the visible fuel line?

There are stairs, at least between levels, aren't there? I never try to walk more than five meters if I can VTOL my way there. :P

Anyhow, yeah, the fuel line is absolutely crucial, the thing draws fuel balanced from the front and back tanks to keep the CoM right in the middle of the mission module the whole time, and the fuel routing trick involves isolating each tank and re-routing externally the fuel. I might be able to put it on the underside, though, but there's a shorter one there already. Plus, the bottom is intentionally level so it can ride docked to the side of big tanks with no clearance required (docks by the belly). And securing the wheels on those rubbery intakes is also an important thing, but I guess I can hide it better. Just that when you strut your wheels to your engines and torque sources, you get a very rigid thing, and they short of follow the lines if you look at it from the top. But yeah, the back ones to the RAPIER are surely more subtle.

Edit: yes! There is a cool arrangement of intakes that allows me to hide it a bit. At least you don't see the yellow bits. :) In other news, the rocket VTOL draws fuel just as I want it without further modifications, who would have thought! Perfect stable flight (if it flew, T/W 0.6 at the start of the burn on kerbin) form full tanks to empty (where I actually took off and flew for a bit because the T/W went over one). Full LFO mix delta-v of 2.4km/s, so it can achieve the design requirement of Duna down-and-up SSTO from low orbit around it.

cJsMjaL.png

Rune. Plus, absolute minimum number of parts. Sixty-something 65 parts with all modules attached on the SPH in the single file, so three versions in one.

Edited by Rune

Snip

Right ok, thanks for sharing the details matey.

We have very different build styles. My VTOL is half the size but has over 300 parts!

But as they say, the devil is in the details!

How long can it hover with the rocket motors?

Also, no stairs at all that I'm aware of.. Could be wrong though.

Edited by Majorjim

Right ok, thanks for sharing the details matey.

We have very different build styles. My VTOL is half the size but has over 300 parts!

But as they say, the devil is in the details!

How long can it hover with the rocket motors?

No problem! By sharing we both learn, and by now I've been at this so long that I have refined my "as little parts as possible" motto into an art form. As to VTOL hovering time... Considering it starts with T/W of 0.6 and only goes over one by the time you are finishing up the last fuel tank... less than one minute. But it takes several to get there! xD The idea is that specific module is only for airless moons and Duna landing assists. If you want to go around kerbin, you grab the airbreathing VTOL module and launch with that, and then you can stay up there for a long, long time.

Rune. Coming Soonâ„¢!

No problem! By sharing we both learn, and by now I've been at this so long that I have refined my "as little parts as possible" motto into an art form. As to VTOL hovering time... Considering it starts with T/W of 0.6 and only goes over one by the time you are finishing up the last fuel tank... less than one minute. But it takes several to get there! xD The idea is that specific module is only for airless moons and Duna landing assists. If you want to go around kerbin, you grab the airbreathing VTOL module and launch with that, and then you can stay up there for a long, long time.

Rune. Coming Soonâ„¢!

Ok cool, nice to have two versions.

I've gone the other way with part count. I prefer more detail.

I had mini mainsail lift engines at first on my VTOL which suited the look of the real life

Version better but due to the small form factor of the aircraft they ran out of fuel real quick. She has a custom fuselage you see.

But for kerbin the airbreathers are so much better for flying around and having fun.

Always a compromise..

Good luck with the release dude.

Edited by Majorjim

Next fighter is almost finished. Can't find a place to stick the weaponry that doesn't ruin the aesthetics though. :/

Its based off the E-wing fighter.

http://i.imgur.com/OpkRWOx.png

I'd advise making fighters around a structural part core, since having lots of exposed fuel tanks is kinda risky in KSP combat.

Nice shape though.

After seeing every one having a spacebus, decided to give it a try and after a day of scratching attempts...

Vessel: KPT-1071

Crew capacity: 31

Propulsion: IXS&4x2.5 ion drives (tweakscale) Vertical landing thrusters: 18x vtx-202

4x Argon/Karbonite particle collectors (disillers only do 0.10s)

4x Karbonite generators

4x Karbonite converters

8x Karbonite distillers

350gm dish as my pilots aren`t that trust worthy at times...

4x sr ports

Vac dV: who knows...but it`s along time.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Not exactly a bus as I`ll still have to fly into KLO for transfers, but this will never be able to land in one piece :P

If it works, it shouldn`t be to hard to add a couple of landers to play in the solar system :)

Edited by Kamuchi

Anyone think they might have an idea as to why these 3 hatches are being obstructed in .25?

I do not want to have to raise the height of that top pillar, big job to do that.

on a side note, kerbals can get in and out of these fine in .24.2 so i am a bit lost as to why they can not now, moving those hatches means a complete redesign as well considering the science lab and two lander cans are the centre piece of this craft.

gn42XP8.jpg

Edit:

i ended up re designing it. turns out they changed the obstruction range.

Edited by Roflcopterkklol