Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Thanks!

-So far heating seems to be okay with a few airbrakes/aerobrakes, and a bank of radiator panels that look pretty sweet anyway. It's still not even over a hundred parts yet, so I'm happy.

-Yup, tank placement is not final, although curiously the largest amount of drag is coming off of the engines. This is literally my first SSTO, so it's sort of learn-as-I-go.

Hey, if it works and looks like that, who cares if it's inefficient. And if you want to get rid of some weight, you can make do without any drag-inducing extra parts like airbrakes if you have enough manoeuvrability to reach high angles of attack on reentry: the whole wings acts like a giant break, slowing you very high up.

I should revisit my K-34... intentionally not posting much this week, but I have a couple of things waiting...

Rune. What's one more?

Hey, if it works and looks like that, who cares if it's inefficient. And if you want to get rid of some weight, you can make do without any drag-inducing extra parts like airbrakes if you have enough manoeuvrability to reach high angles of attack on reentry: the whole wings acts like a giant break, slowing you very high up.

I should revisit my K-34... intentionally not posting much this week, but I have a couple of things waiting...

Rune. What's one more?

Hey! After a good sleep on it, I managed to get it down without a single part overheating. Not particularly difficult, either! I installed three pairs of airbrakes, and the radiators I mentioned earlier:

lEwpA3e.png

What also helped was dipping the nose of the plane down below 0 degrees, so the top wings soaked up some of the heat instead for a bit. It helps that this plane is pretty maneuverable for its size.

It is a damn shame that these wings have the temperature max that they do, considering some of the science instruments have a higher max. Oh well.

On an related note, it would be interesting to see what you could do with your K-33 Venture Star this update. Always loved that guy.

Currently working on a fourth tank other than the Maus and the other two secrets. As I said before good luck guessing the tank. Hint: Chinese light tank. Light tank meaning it doesn't weigh frickin' 200 tons like the Maus.

Does anyone think I should continue to make tanks?

wNFziU6.png Its a 59-16 Chinese light tank

Currently working on a fourth tank other than the Maus and the other two secrets. As I said before good luck guessing the tank. Hint: Chinese light tank. Light tank meaning it doesn't weigh frickin' 200 tons like the Maus.

http://i.imgur.com/wNFziU6.png Its a 59-16 Chinese light tank

Type 62?

She looks great. Given the quality of your Maus and now this, I'd definitely say you should carry on making tanks. Although, of course, it's all about what you enjoy making.

Does the turret work? Because that would be amazing. :)

Type 62?

She looks great. Given the quality of your Maus and now this, I'd definitely say you should carry on making tanks. Although, of course, it's all about what you enjoy making.

Does the turret work? Because that would be amazing. :)

Yes 100% stock bearing and approximately 52 degrees per second turret traverse. It could technically be a type 62 or a 59-16. Both still have the same design. Regardless, the bearings work smoothly and it accelerates like a car, something you will not find from the Maus. :)

But as a little easter egg in the last post highlight it. A secret text should say a 59-16. :) Still you can call it a type 62 because when did the Chinese break out of their round tank turrets and hull.

With all those beautiful SSTO designs out there and videos of infinite range space planes doing the "grand tour", I decided to start working on yet another craft. Similar to my existing fleet of starships except that it's all-in-one from launch to landing.

LJoAesu.png

SoTAJRt.png

I made it out to Minmus to refuel on my latest test flight but it has a lot of bugs to work out before I'm ready to release it, and testing these infinite range SSTO's tends to be a lengthy process. And with a craft like this, if you can't land it on Laythe and return there's no point.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Yes 100% stock bearing and approximately 52 degrees per second turret traverse. It could technically be a type 62 or a 59-16. Both still have the same design. Regardless, the bearings work smoothly and it accelerates like a car, something you will not find from the Maus. :)

But as a little easter egg in the last post highlight it. A secret text should say a 59-16. :) Still you can call it a type 62 because when did the Chinese break out of their round tank turrets and hull.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the 59-16 - I think after having ground through it in WoT I've repressed all knowledge of that thing's existence. :P And that's awesome, stock bearings have always amazed me, and to fit one in such a little tank and have it all work well is brilliant.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the 59-16 - I think after having ground through it in WoT I've repressed all knowledge of that thing's existence. :P And that's awesome, stock bearings have always amazed me, and to fit one in such a little tank and have it all work well is brilliant.

Thank you :) After some more blender rendering, I have made yet another addition to the garage of ksp tanks. The stock bearing in fact is almost the width of the tank - the tracks. Using the LY05 Steerable wheels you make a pretty good bearing, just make sure to lock steering.

Anyways, all 4 tanks in there glory :)

2 tank names have yet to been revealed

zpRrerl.jpg

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

Hey! After a good sleep on it, I managed to get it down without a single part overheating. Not particularly difficult, either! I installed three pairs of airbrakes, and the radiators I mentioned earlier:

http://i.imgur.com/lEwpA3e.png

What also helped was dipping the nose of the plane down below 0 degrees, so the top wings soaked up some of the heat instead for a bit. It helps that this plane is pretty maneuverable for its size.

It is a damn shame that these wings have the temperature max that they do, considering some of the science instruments have a higher max. Oh well.

On an related note, it would be interesting to see what you could do with your K-33 Venture Star this update. Always loved that guy.

Nice work, everything I build comes out as a replica. Also, I can't build SSTOs to save my life.

http://i.imgur.com/wNFziU6.png You know, people who obsessively select bit of text find this kind of thing.

Its a 59-16 Chinese light tank.

VMEWIoH.png

My first time trying any kind of airliner-like craft. It's meant to be a tow plane for my Bristol Boxkite, I've given up on trying to make that a powered aircraft.

Flies ok, climbing is really good, but only when the engines are at full power. Needs improvement on turning, it can't maintain speed for very long when it goes into a turn.

Alright, I'm looking for ideas. I just released that SS1, so I'm not sure what I want to do next. Any ideas for things to replicate? Or just build?

Biplanes! Namely these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotha_G.IV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Type_O

Edited by pTrevTrevs

I wanted to create a sustainable tourist service for the completion of the contracts - but I also wanted something that "looked more sci-fi". So here we have the Lunar Bus in early development. Reaction wheel spam to counteract the torque from the engine placement, but we're going for looks. I need to swap out the cockpit, because I don't like it and IVA views it's too dark. She's got around 3k ∆V and perfectly balanced fuel flow and thrusters. Thank you part offsets.... But there's still something lacking. Not quite happy.

5MtRPQQ.png

The Chaffee after having some turret bearing problems, and compacting 200 parts into a 5 by 3 by 3 area. It has a way better suspension in the front because the center of mass is in the rear where the twin Cadillac engine is (Two basic jet engines :)) Then blender want to be funky and not want to load the textures of the wheels, nothing like a good fix can do to it. Hope everyone will enjoy it when it comes out.

XzaiLUV.jpg

That's a very beautiful Chaffee, ghostbuzzer7!

Here's something I've been busy with today, my first submarine. I really hope Squad will give us some realistic water, this thing won't dive for love or money. With Better Buoyancy it goes faster than 150 km/h, without it goes 10 km/h.

But she's got the looks and the size.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Mad Max style hot rod roadster type thing with lots of rockets taped on. Opening hood, very good turning ability from painfully low ground clearance (every little bump is a terrifying experience), and absolutely zero actual purpose or use.

JN6mqfD.jpg

5LMKXcJ.jpg

Eventually going to put some rocket launchers on or something, to make it more Mad Max-y.

After about an hour and a half of figuring out the best way to hook up a cable between the tow aircraft and the Boxkite, i got a chance for one rather short test flight:

5FjUymM.jpg

Alright, it's a beautiful day, let's make history! :)

lN5U1Y9.jpg

YES!!! It's working!!! The piece of trash actually flies!!! :cool:

9RBYkoT.jpg

Uh oh, it's getting a little too high. Need more power!!

4m8bYyO.jpg

Yep, needed more power on the tow plane. I think a third engine on the tail might be sufficient. ;.;

woFSGn2.png

It still flies, even when it's tow plane bites the dust. The frustration is real.

The Delta II is nearly done as well.

BZIJEx2.png

The second stage needs more DeltaV, but it was still sufficient to insert this 10 ton fuel pod into a 300km orbit:

kR8xEG5.png

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Weird duplication bug