Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Yeah it bugged out the page..

Yup, using the wheel brakes on a bearing can be useful. I used to on my old small rover wheel bearing, I can see the landing gear wheels having better braking due to their strength.

Edited by Majorjim

The tank is coming along I think Tank Val likes it.

9 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Yeah it bugged out the page..

Yup, using the wheel brakes on a bearing can be useful. I used to on my old small rover wheel bearing, I can see the landing gear wheels having better braking due to their strength.

You can edit the quote to remove it

Just now, selfish_meme said:

The tank is coming along I think Tank Val likes it.

You can edit the quote to remove it

Yeah, alas I have no idea how..

Tank is looking great dude! I have something 'tanky' to show too. Is yours modeled on any particular tank or it's own thing.

37 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Yeah, alas I have no idea how..

Tank is looking great dude! I have something 'tanky' to show too. Is yours modeled on any particular tank or it's own thing.

Go into edit, click in the quote after gif/image, backspace, save.

I am basing the tank loosely on a T-54/55, but at the moment it is function over form. Next step is to add the vertical gun bearing, tank rounds and then finally I might try and jazz it up, it's only a bit over 100 parts at the moment.

I am quite pleased with how this turned out... not-quite SSTO, with drop tanks and a respectable ~20mT payload, capable of going to 100km circular with ~650m/s left in the tanks... and a truly ridiculous part count (~45 on reentry, ~70 on the pad). Now if it passes the reentry trials, we will have something here...

anzeeR2.png

Rune. In particular, the staging working at first try was totally unexpected. :)

13 minutes ago, Rune said:

I am quite pleased with how this turned out... not-quite SSTO, with drop tanks and a respectable ~20mT payload, capable of going to 100km circular with ~650m/s left in the tanks... and a truly ridiculous part count (~45 on reentry, ~70 on the pad). Now if it passes the reentry trials, we will have something here...

anzeeR2.png

Rune. In particular, the staging working at first try was totally unexpected. :)

No 1.05 STS? I am working on an absolute beauty at the moment. Those new vectors make it a little easier, I'm told..

Edited by Majorjim

9 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

Star Wars stuff

A-Wing (stock)

ATAT Walker (needs robotics mod + partwelding to reduce part count)

Slave 1 (stock)

screenshot5839_zps3ekdkr0p.pngscreenshot5717_zpsruhytgff.pngURL]

http://gifmaker.cc/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2015121016fIUaMOGcFZMCfhJ8EzLyPS&file=output_CtgJAj.gif

Omg, that is cool. I suggest though that you alternate the legs, so like the forward right is up when the back left is up. It adds alot more stability, and hey, its more realistic :P

This issue is really annoying.

Anything at all, connected to even the slightest bit of fairings, won't work now. Even if the engine's totally out of it, if it has contact with a fuselage connected to a fairing -- Nope. Stowed, Stowed, Stowed.

I admit, fairings are useful, but sometimes they annoy the hell out of me.

zyWe9ae.png

In other news, plane restoration is going well; Wheesleys have been buffed so almost all my planes have become way too fast for their own good;

tFshmK9.png

But hey, who doesn't love faster flights?

Also, off topic but does anyone still own a copy of Kerbin City? The thread's closed and the forum migration caused the links to download to not work.

Danke!

5 hours ago, Columbia said:

Also, off topic but does anyone still own a copy of Kerbin City? The thread's closed and the forum migration caused the links to download to not work.

Danke!

I do believe I have a copy somewhere... If you want it I'll PM it to you.

I take that back, I can't find it at the moment. Sorry

Edited by CommanderSpock

22 hours ago, Majorjim said:

No 1.05 STS? I am working on an absolute beauty at the moment. Those new vectors make it a little easier, I'm told..

Sadly, nope. I have made a couple of stabs at it, and I've got a functional... thing. But try as I might, I either run into fairing problems (I feel you too, guys!), bump the part count over my preferences, end up with a structurally unsound mess, or a combination of all three. All in all, I just haven't come up with anything that meets my standards... so far. But hey, that shuttle-like thing may prelude a lot of alternative shuttle concepts exploiting the Vectors... Remember my not-so-old "Lockheed Phase A Shuttle"? It would be really cool to come up with a profile that let you reuse both stages in a single stock flight, and maybe try building the North American and/or Faguet original concepts...

Rune. I leave that one to you guys. :)

2vcduue.jpg

You know how the space shuttle replica builders are always complaining that the SRBs we have are not powerful enough and the KS-25 Vector is too powerful and so the STS stack won't work properly in KSP?

Well that gave me an idea - instead of trying to surround an ET with SRBs, why not surround an ET with robotic shuttles powered by these overpowered Vectors? The result is this - a launch vehicle consisting of a giant fuel tank in the middle powered by three winged liquid fuel boosters. This baby has already been proven to be able to achieve single stage to orbit with 81 ton payload. Once I prove that reenty and recovery of the winged boosters work it will be ready for release. The winged boosters have already been proven safe for landing by doing a lap around the runway.

2 hours ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

That tank's bearing is interesting ;)

I have got it behaving nicely and the tank is 1:1 scale, the bearing is also going to come separately in a box so anyone can use it on their tank, it is about 30 parts all up including the structural plate box.  I still have some work to do on the gun bearing, which works but is not up to par, the whole thing needs to work together seamlessly.

Probably the best thing is the tank round though from a couple of pages back. Thats what makes it awesome.

Edited by selfish_meme

The alternate shuttle concepts are fascinating. Faget's version, surprisingly, flies perfectly even without Vernors, and although the stage separation is tricky, it makes 100km circular with a mere 3,7km/s budget. And even stage separation is doable, finally, and I've got ideas to make it consistently so! :)

yAyL3tZm.png

GhIpuikm.png

SmhsbyKm.png

Rune. Coming soon™.

Edited by Rune

Ok Rune, now you're just showing off. :sticktongue:

In all seriousness though, that shuttle that you posted on Friday with the two side-mounted orange tanks...beautiful.  (I will not steal the blueprints...I will not steal the blueprints...I will not steal the blueprints)

4 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I wonder if a screw works?

I tried.... But failed. But that was more because my boat design sucked and I couldn't get the backend to submerge enough. In theory it should work, because, hey we can get helicopters to work, so a screw should work on the same principle. I do intend to revisit it at some point...

Edit:

Alright I tinkered briefly.. And some lessons learnt. Naively I tried it with the jets submerged in the water... Yah oops. I can get the screws turning, but I think that this will need a lot more thrust, and that perhaps it might work better with a driveshaft. This doesn't move, but the props spin.

jXrudUQ.jpg 

Edited by FlipNascar