Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Look in Inigmas need a stock aircraft carrier thread there is a download there

You might need to add some struts, it's not meant to take off.

Sure, I'd make it as a PoC but I'd like to build a flying carrier similar to the one in the avengers I just can't make as beautiful hulls as you

7 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Is hovering possible with a K-drive?

Yes, k drives produce measurable thrust (look at the kraken programm I have made tests) and it's conserved in both modes so really if you figure out how much your drive produces you can figure out about how much it could lift, my tests have been successful so far but the main problem was keeping them stable while moving around while in atmo.

39 minutes ago, EladDv said:

Sure, I'd make it as a PoC but I'd like to build a flying carrier similar to the one in the avengers I just can't make as beautiful hulls as you

Yes, k drives produce measurable thrust (look at the kraken programm I have made tests) and it's conserved in both modes so really if you figure out how much your drive produces you can figure out about how much it could lift, my tests have been successful so far but the main problem was keeping them stable while moving around while in atmo.

It's just mk3 liquid fuel tanks emptied and rotated no skill required

Coming soon... A fully stock, functional LCVP! (Or Higgins Boat, if you prefer)

The ramp uses Majorjim's thermometer bearings, as well as my own latching system, and I have to say it works like a dream. As of the latest version the ramp hasn't jumped the bearing even with the Willys running up it!

I still have to work on the buoyancy - when the jeep is loaded in it floats too low and the engines flameout.

34 minutes ago, RixKillian said:

Coming soon... A fully stock, functional LCVP! (Or Higgins Boat, if you prefer)

The ramp uses Majorjim's thermometer bearings, as well as my own latching system, and I have to say it works like a dream. As of the latest version the ramp hasn't jumped the bearing even with the Willys running up it!

I still have to work on the buoyancy - when the jeep is loaded in it floats too low and the engines flameout.

Engines only flameout due to lack of intake air, weasely's especially, the only thing that fixes it is speed or more intakes, I had two juno's on a smoke stack, they still flamed out with 4 small intakes, it's because they are not moving.

Edited by selfish_meme

Finally figured out a "better" backend to the Corvette. She's pushing around 170t, about 3.5k ∆V and ~330 parts.

It looked neat with the terriers offset further into the Whiplash engines, but then everything overheats and explodes. The fuel lines are very messy... But it works. It doesn't drain evenly, but there's no noticeable effect other than upsetting those with OCD...

kUixjrg.pngVLfpxDz.png

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Engines only flameout due to lack of intake air, weasely's especially, the only thing that fixes it is speed or more intakes, I had two juno's on a smoke stack, they still flamed out with 4 small intakes, it's because they are not moving.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Lately i have been working on my replica Apollo mission, but it sadly has been a case of one step forward two steps back.... That combined with the godly amount of lag means that this has been VERY slow going. 

hEwv6OB.jpg

I finally have it almost ready for release, i just need to run a test run (which would prob take like 3 hours) and then fix the problems that are sure to come up. 

Any suggestions on the paint/outside?

Edited by Bubbadevlin

Been working on a few things as of late...

First off, a new dropship-style landing craft, I call it the AD.S-01 Wolfhound.

octmaFr.png

jH0su5E.png

The dropship is capable of hauling 2.5 meter cargo pods underneath the fuselage, and is very powerful in terms of TWR, though it's not very fuel-efficient.

As well, I've got these in the works:

VTOL Carrier (Boat):

WgfsUGU.png

Star Wars A-Wing fighter replica:

l8GwmF3.png

5 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Now lets see you stream that landing ;) Amazing the size of it, it's got to be almost 40m across. Sad news on the bearing front, Hyperdit landing kills stock bearings, going to try vesselmover.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

No, it's not that wide, only 32m if I remember correctly. The whole carrier is 360m long and has a total mass of 167.000 tons. Streaming is out of the question for now, but maybe I'll make a gif one day.

I doubt vesselmover will be an improvement though, the solution would be to re-dock the axle prior to moving. I did some work on such a system once.

Edited by Azimech

Hyperedit breaks bearings yes it is unfortunate and has been the case since it's beginning. A fix that works sometimes is time-warp. Sometimes time-warp gets the wheel collisions working properly again. But it can be a gamble. 

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

No, it's not that wide, only 32m if I remember correctly. The whole carrier is 360m long and has a total mass of 167.000 tons. Streaming is out of the question for now, but maybe I'll make a gif one day.

I doubt vesselmover will be an improvement though, the solution would be to re-dock the axle prior to moving. I did some work on such a system once.

I'm not using a docking port, just a seperator, it seems to change the interpenatrability (is that a word) of the parts with nearby collider meshes, so wheels don't sit right etc.

So after further testing, I think Take Command and Hyperedit do the same thing, they change something, or don't reset something about the collision meshes for wheels and fairings, after hyperedit a fairing base will drop through structural plate, or a wheel will no longer interact with structural plate.

Edited by selfish_meme

32 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I'm not using a docking port, just a seperator, it seems to change the interpenatrability (is that a word) of the parts with nearby collider meshes, so wheels don't sit right etc.

So after further testing, I think Take Command and Hyperedit do the same thing, they change something, or don't reset something about the collision meshes for wheels and fairings, after hyperedit a fairing base will drop through structural plate, or a wheel will no longer interact with structural plate.

Interesting ... when using docking ports I can't remember having this effect. Will test it again some day.

5 hours ago, Darth Lazarus said:

proof of concept:

now time for the correct placements of the parts and more balancing ...

CFDL9QB.jpg

MgFFSJh.jpg

ZOMG reusable booster, I'm making one as well but using wings.

How do you setup the parachute landing so it lands so horizontally? I tried to do parachute horizontal landing but it's very difficult to get the CoL and CoM match up. Is it just trial and error?

You know what your system reminds me of? The MTKVP: https://falsesteps.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/mtkvp-glushkos-opening-gambit/

46 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Interesting ... when using docking ports I can't remember having this effect. Will test it again some day.

OK VesselMover is the way to go, it doesn't stuff up the bearings, also I mitigated part of it by strutting a fairing base to the structural plate, then it didn't fall through anymore, maybe need to strut wheels to plate?

Could time warp before bearing release too, after christmas.

Edited by selfish_meme