Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

21ee1yo.jpg
PSA: The big space shuttle wings and associated flaps can survive been flown through the air at six times the the speed of sound, backwards.

2gu9pnr.jpg
Now I just have to make sure the external tank can actually survive reentry and be flown to a safe landing at the runway. Credit goes to @sgt_flyer for trying the "Winged ET" idea first.

VGRH0Hu.png

It would be awesome if I finished this to my satisfaction, wouldn't it? Currently running into a bit of a problem with the booster's TWR. I have to get a lot of dV out of them in order to get them to space to "extend" the booster's wings, but I don't see the way without going all 2.5m and then Iwould only be able to fit two boosters... or I could "cheat" it and use them as unnecessary ballast and complication! It has the TWR on the core.

Rune. Vectors are so OP.

Just now, Rune said:

Rune. And it survives the deployment with no broken wheels!

It's rather unceremonious. two ladders would make a nice ramp. I forget if you can rover on ladders. Would look cooler though. And more in line with a real spacecraft.

Edited by Majorjim

26 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

It's rather unceremonious. two ladders would make a nice ramp. I forget if you can rover on ladders. Would look cooler though. And more in line with a real spacecraft.

Nope, can't rover on ladders, and airbrakes are too short. I could use one of your hinges (or two) and I could make a ramp (not really, not enough room). But then the lander+refinery bundle wouldn't be 70 parts then... and it's meant to go with a ~200part ship all payload included, so I'm already treading dangerous lag territory (TWR on the mothership is about 0.06). I guess I'll have to infer a non-visible winch... or, you know, actually use a real one with KAS+a structural beam. ;)

Rune. Look at the bright side, you guys get to mod your own!

Edited by Rune

22 hours ago, Rune said:

VGRH0Hu.png

It would be awesome if I finished this to my satisfaction, wouldn't it? Currently running into a bit of a problem with the booster's TWR. I have to get a lot of dV out of them in order to get them to space to "extend" the booster's wings, but I don't see the way without going all 2.5m and then Iwould only be able to fit two boosters... or I could "cheat" it and use them as unnecessary ballast and complication! It has the TWR on the core.

Rune. Vectors are so OP.

I'm working on something similar: KqN9TAc.png

That is the returning bit that, coupled with a couple of orange droptanks (with associated nosecones) and a front assembly, is going to lift 30t to LKO when I'm done with it. 

Vectors are indeed OP.

I'm working on making my PTBoat actually have combat capability in NAS-BDA, so I can finally give my PTBoat a purpose in battle. I'm at ~221 parts for this version, which is based off the minimal version.  The main problem is that my torpedoes aren't reaching fast enough speeds for the explosive missile cone to explode by default.

9 minutes ago, Rune said:

Nope, can't rover on ladders, and airbrakes are too short. I could use one of your hinges (or two) and I could make a ramp (not really, not enough room). But then the lander+refinery bundle wouldn't be 70 parts then... and it's meant to go with a ~200part ship all payload included, so I'm already treading dangerous lag territory (TWR on the mothership is about 0.06). I guess I'll have to infer a non-visible winch... or, you know, actually use a real one with KAS+a structural beam. ;)

Rune. Look at the bright side, you guys get to mod your own!

Sorry if that seemed harsh.. I like the simplicity of it, part of your proposed update to the grand tour architecture I assume. I really should tackle that one of these days. With ISRU I suppose it could be made much smaller now. One to think about at least.

13 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Sorry if that seemed harsh.. I like the simplicity of it, part of your proposed update to the grand tour architecture I assume. I really should tackle that one of these days. With ISRU I suppose it could be made much smaller now. One to think about at least.

No offense taken! Besides, you got me thinking... this is not more convenient (I actually break the wheels more often, and it takes tons of time to set up), but it does look very nice, even done on the runway. Imagine on Tylo! Besides, if I can haul it back up (doubful, but hey, a man can hope... and F5 a lot), I would only need one for the whole freaking Grand Tour. The mass savings... :)

W0GVKKF.png

Rune. All the equipment fits on a single kerbal's back, too.

Edited by Rune

Just now, Dafni said:

do you have a tutorial for this trick? I seem to remember talk about this.

thanks

Thinking of it was the trick. It's easy to reproduce. As you can only offset one end of a strut you need a way to offset both ends. By using the no offset mod you just use a small part, the thermometers are best as they can be completely hidden by the strut ends.

Just offset the small part and strut to it. Then you can move each end where ever you like.

Just now, Rune said:

ThingsNo offense taken! Besides, you got me thinking... this is not more convenient (I actually break the wheels more often, and it takes tons of time to set up), but it does look very nice, even done on the runway. Imagine on Tylo! Besides, if I can haul it back up (doubful, but hey, a man can hope... and F5 a lot), I would only need one for the whole freaking Grand Tour. The mass savings... :)

W0GVKKF.png

Rune. All the equipment fits on a single kerbal's back, too.

For a modded version that's perfect. I know there is no simple way to do this stock.. It looks fun too.. Hmm.. nope. Must.. resist.. mods...

Edited by Majorjim

9 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Thinking of it was the trick. It's easy to reproduce. As you can only offset one end of a strut you need a way to offset both ends. By using the no offset mod you just use a small part, the thermometers are best as they can be completely hidden by the strut ends.

Just offset the small part and strut to it. Then you can move each end where ever you like.

oh, its just a hidden part... man, why haven´t I thought of that. Thank you, many things make sense now. I´m using the no offset mod and the editor extensions since a few weeks now, great stuff.

28 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

For a modded version that's perfect. I know there is no simple way to do this stock.. It looks fun too.. Hmm.. nope. Must.. resist.. mods...

Actually, I am also zeroing in on the simple stock way... you just VTOL the refinery out and back into the bay. And mayhaps use your imagination to infer the winch?

Rune. The stock, complicated way, I will leave to others as usual.

Edited by Rune

Just now, Rune said:

Actually, I am also zeroing in on the simple stock way... you just VTOL the refinery out and back into the bay. And mayhaps use your imagination to infer the winch?

I like that idea. Given the sparsness of planets you need you design in fun things to do. That sounds like a fun challenge too. So the rover claws to the ascent/descent vehicle? Any way to attach a small docking port to the mother craft for the rover to dock with?

30 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

1 minute ago, Rune said:

wouldn't a mechanism like that work (modded or not) ? :) (quick & dirty paint ;)) basically, while the arm (or synchronised arms, if placed on both sides of the rover) is swinging, it will naturally pull the rover upwards while moving it outside of the bay, before lowering it towards the ground :) (like the system used on some trucks carrying those big dumpsters) 

oK5QIRR.jpg?1

Just now, sgt_flyer said:

wouldn't a mechanism like that work (modded or not) ? :) (quick & dirty paint ;)) basically, while the arm (or synchronised arms, if placed on both sides of the rover) is swinging, it will naturally pull the rover upwards while moving it outside of the bay, before lowering it towards the ground :) (like the system used on some trucks carrying those big dumpsters) 

oK5QIRR.jpg?1

You mean with stock parts? Also the bit of text you quoted me on is about something different. Unless i am mistaken. I have made something like this with stock parts already using my thermometer hinge. It is bigger and a bit more complex. It could be done with fewer parts if you use bigger parts. And seeing as this would be a bigger mechanism with only one arm it would be easy to put together.

Edited by Majorjim

On 12/29/2015 at 8:45 AM, Rune said:

VGRH0Hu.png

Rune. Vectors are so OP.

That looks great!