Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

44 minutes ago, manni01 said:

yes. It can take off of Kerbin, fly to Duna and land on it, and then take off there and fly back to kerbin, all in one piece (I also brought some science equipment because this is in my career save). I would have a mission video out already, but apparently the recording files got corrupted or something so I have to redo the mission.

Wowzer, with refuels though right? Or some hidden ion system?

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Wowzer, with refuels though right? Or some hidden ion system?

no. Just 2 rapiers, and 1 nukes. No refuels, no mining, no ions. The rapiers give me speed in the atmosphere and I carry some (not a lot) oxidizer so that I can get a couple of seconds of rapier closed cycle burn just to get me enough speed that the nuclear engine can take over. From there I literally burn the entire way to apoapsis until I achieve a stable orbit (I have around 1600 m/s [surface mode] when the rapiers run out of oxidizer and the nuke starts). The craft has ~6000 m/s of dV when fully filled on the runway, with ~3500 units of liquid fuel. The twr is very low and making it orbit takes skill (or lots of retries in my case), but it does work and is rather cheap, getting me to duna for only around 4000 funds (if I recover the vessel of course). Next I will make a Laythe SSTO and I doubt I can continue going with only 2 rapiers.

Just now, manni01 said:

no. Just 2 rapiers, and 1 nukes. No refuels, no mining, no ions. The rapiers give me speed in the atmosphere and I carry some (not a lot) oxidizer so that I can get a couple of seconds of rapier closed cycle burn just to get me enough speed that the nuclear engine can take over. From there I literally burn the entire way to apoapsis until I achieve a stable orbit (I have around 1600 m/s [surface mode] when the rapiers run out of oxidizer and the nuke starts). The craft has ~6000 m/s of dV when fully filled on the runway, with ~3500 units of liquid fuel. The twr is very low and making it orbit takes skill (or lots of retries in my case), but it does work and is rather cheap, getting me to duna for only around 4000 funds (if I recover the vessel of course). Next I will make a Laythe SSTO and I doubt I can continue going with only 2 rapiers.

Has this been done before in this version of ksp? Can you upload the craft file? I don't think 6000m/s is enough to get to Duna surface and back again.. And you say it has 6000m/s on the ground, fully fueled. How much does it have in Kerbin orbit?

Has this been done before in this version of ksp? Can you upload the craft file? I don't think 6000m/s is enough to get to Duna surface and back again.. And you say it has 6000m/s on the ground, fully fueled. How much does it have in Kerbin orbit?

It's about 1800ms from LKO to Duna, slightly less back, it's hard to pin the rapiers down on ms to LKO because it depends on the efficiency of your air breathing section, but it can be done quite cheaply, and aerobraking either end and the glide back costs you nothing, so it is doable with the ms, and in the challenge section they have done Laythe and back with similar designs. Takes some good flying though, most of the challenge ones used gravity assists.

Edited by selfish_meme

Just now, selfish_meme said:

It's about 1800ms from LKO to Duna, slightly less back, it's hard to pin the rapiers down on ms to LKO because it depends on the efficiency of your air breathing section, but it can be done quite cheaply, and aerobraking either end and the glide back costs you nothing, so it is doable with the ms, and in the challenge section they have done Laythe and back with similar designs. Takes some good flying though, most of the challenge ones used gravity assists.

Guy says 6000m/s on the tarmac. 3400m/s orbit, 950m/s to outer Kerbin orbit, 130m/s to Duna encounter. Say he aerobrakes and uses no dv to arrive in Duna atmosphere. 1450m/s to Duna orbit, 360 to outer Duna orbit, say 200m/s to encounter Kerbin.

That is flying perfectly, and he's 490m/s short. Unless I am missing something it cannot make the trip with 6000m/s..

Edited by Majorjim
maybe seemed rude?

Yeah this has been done before (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVb0JCChxD4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkAnnkOmzIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BVC015zTJk)

In orbit (for my missions at least) it had around 4,400 m/s dV. That should be enough: 1000 for duna transfer, 2000 for duna take off, 800 for transfer back to kerbin, the 600 left is for correction burns and extra room for error. Thats roughly how it worked for me. The 6000 m/s when fully fueled is deceiving because it doesn't account for the rapier use and thinks as if the rapiers don't count (because they are air breathing engines and kerbal-engineer doesn't account for them). The rapiers get me up to 1400 m/s and then to 1700 m/s in rocket mode. The entire time the craft is losing weight because of fuel consumption (especially when the rapiers get turned on), making it lighter.

Here's a gif of my ascent: http://i.imgur.com/CtAJ2jB.gifv

Just now, manni01 said:

Yeah this has been done before (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVb0JCChxD4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkAnnkOmzIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BVC015zTJk)

In orbit (for my missions at least) it had around 4,400 m/s dV. That should be enough: 1000 for duna transfer, 2000 for duna take off, 800 for transfer back to kerbin, the 600 left is for correction burns and extra room for error. Thats roughly how it worked for me. The 6000 m/s when fully fueled is deceiving because it doesn't account for the rapier use and thinks as if the rapiers don't count (because they are air breathing engines and kerbal-engineer doesn't account for them). The rapiers get me up to 1400 m/s and then to 1700 m/s in rocket mode. The entire time the craft is losing weight because of fuel consumption (especially when the rapiers get turned on), making it lighter.

Here's a gif of my ascent: http://i.imgur.com/CtAJ2jB.gifv

Riiiight. ok I see now. The isp on them in jet mode is mega. OK cool ,well very well done indeed then. Some very fancy flying!

After seeing The Force Awakens twice recently, I've been working on trying to make a replica of the new T-70 version of the Incom X-Wing starfighter...

xqG7rGc.png

It's far from the most maneuverable, but that can be worked on. Kerbin/Laythe-only for now, since it runs off of quad Junos.

Working on a "herrichopter" called the KH-1 Super Bird (Not a replica...)

It has two vtol engines and two engines to help it move horizontally. Maneuverability is good, you can also do some cool stunts with this since it is in fact..... stock! :)

Cyw6YxJ.pngQteKxBP.pngLoulks4.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7
Forget the pics!

After watching Interstellar too much, I wanted to ape their mission profile.

I really haven't, not at all, but this is what I've come up with so far.

The 'MAV' has become an overengineered SSTO (on Duna) with enough fuel to get home on it's own without the transfer vehicle but only holds two, the 'Hermes' is nuke powered, not Ion and there's not quite as much room as in in the movie.

I should think about bringing them home soon.

(With thanks to SpeedingMullet for this as I have spent a fair old amount of time trying to find out how to post albums in this new place.  Very frustrating.  Possibly my own fault :) )

Been working on an Admiralty M class destroyer (World War 1) , and also for the first time using WW2 Warships, though my current hull keeps becoming a submarine, and sinks fast. I have the hull complete (though likely requires major changes not to sink). I've added a bunch of the "B" parts that pump water out but they don't seem to help right now. Weight is around 6000 tons right now. I'd like feedback on how to fix the problems i've got right now, and the general shape, since I haven't been able to find many measurements.

I've wondered about starting a community effort to build all of the ships from The Battle Of Jutland for its 100th, but I'm not sure if that's really feasible, and I've looked towards recreating Denmark Strait for its 75th anniversary. I'll still build the Admiralty M, but I don't know if I should build more.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

7 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I've wondered about starting a community effort to build all of the ships from The Battle Of Jutland for its 100th, but I'm not sure if that's really feasible, and I've looked towards recreating Denmark Strait for its 75th anniversary. I'll still build the Admiralty M, but I don't know if I should build more.

That would actually be really fun! I am a idiot with battle dates and such, when would those actually be?

Either way, count me in :P

15 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

That would actually be really fun! I am a idiot with battle dates and such, when would those actually be?

Either way, count me in :P

The battle of Jutland took place from May31 to June 1st 1916, though I doubt any thing could run 100+ ships on a server or a computer, so I'd imagine I'd be more of a pack. :P The Battle Of Denmark Strait happened on May 24th, though I think I could handle building the ships, considering the much smaller amounts of ships involved. I need to get my Admiralty M destroyer floating before I start the thread though...

Edited by SaturnianBlue

3 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

The battle of Jutland took place from May31 to June 1st 1916, though I doubt any thing could run 100+ ships on a server or a computer, so I'd imagine I'd be more of a pack. :P The Battle Of Denmark Strait happened on May 24th, though I think I could handle building the ships, considering the much smaller amounts of ships involved. I need to get my Admiralty M destroyer floating before I start the thread though...

Ah cool! 

My suggestion for that destroyer is to clip some MK3 fuel tanks in there and empty them. For some reason they are STUPIDLY buoyant 

32 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Been working on an Admiralty M class destroyer (World War 1) , and also for the first time using WW2 Warships, though my current hull keeps becoming a submarine, and sinks fast. I have the hull complete (though likely requires major changes not to sink). I've added a bunch of the "B" parts that pump water out but they don't seem to help right now. Weight is around 6000 tons right now. I'd like feedback on how to fix the problems i've got right now, and the general shape, since I haven't been able to find many measurements.

You could give it as is to Inigma for his contract pack, fly out and minisub dive on the wreck, cause the underwater shot looks kind of cool and spooky

Edited by selfish_meme

Yeah, yeah, I should be making new ships, not revising old ones from a year ago. 

But regardless, ideas are ideas and should be implemented.

When I first made the B-17, it was waay before my other WW2 aircraft gave me more and more ideas. At the time, when I completely overhauled the cockpit just before release, I noticed immediately that the tip of it was not as pointy as I could make it to be in KSP:

sHeANgn.png
cYiVwv4.png

But then, I realized that the tiny control surfaces had great aesthetic potential, so yeah. Other than that, the front of the cockpit was pretty much redone. It looks.. different. Very different.

Zt7169P.jpg

Actually, not really.

Also, notice anything different?

wjDJ0sc.png

The tail is longer, and.. the tail turret's different! Now housing a Kerbal, this will guarantee a great drop increase in crew morale!

Next up, wings and engines. 

5 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Yeah, yeah, I should be making new ships, not revising old ones from a year ago. 

But regardless, ideas are ideas and should be implemented.

When I first made the B-17, it was waay before my other WW2 aircraft gave me more and more ideas. At the time, when I completely overhauled the cockpit just before release, I noticed immediately that the tip of it was not as pointy as I could make it to be in KSP:

sHeANgn.png
cYiVwv4.png

But then, I realized that the tiny control surfaces had great aesthetic potential, so yeah. Other than that, the front of the cockpit was pretty much redone. It looks.. different. Very different.

Zt7169P.jpg

Actually, not really.

Also, notice anything different?

wjDJ0sc.png

The tail is longer, and.. the tail turret's different! Now housing a Kerbal, this will guarantee a great drop increase in crew morale!

Next up, wings and engines. 

I was going to say your tail elevators are all over the place ;) but yes I noticed the Kerbal!

9 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I was going to say your tail elevators are all over the place ;) but yes I noticed the Kerbal!

Yep, I was testing the ship's performance with the revision of the tail.. and that didn't turn out so well either. :wink: