Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

My new mod is almost ready to be published: "Big Ships". It's built on the framework of WW2 Warships. You can build any commercial ship or cruise ship in any size. This example, the medium cargo ship "Miranda", is 207m long, 25m. wide and unloaded it's mass is 10740 tons. It has 4 medium steam turbines rated at 5k kN, a bow thruster and 5 medium boilers. Included will be the first parts to start building docks. Yes. But not the dock in the album, that was a first test.

The Admiralty M Destroyer's Torpedo tubes are being finished up. The problem is that the intakes tend to break up when launched into the water sometimes, as they will end up being dropped from ~3 Meters, and require sepatrons to make it out of the torpedo tubes. The torpedo tubes have 360 turning though, as the gif below shows.3dlxUHu.gif

EDIT:

The Destroyer is at 787 Parts! That's a personal record!

Edited by SaturnianBlue

The Torpedo Tubes and Guns work on the destroyer itself, but the guns are kind of wonky and unbalanced. The Torpedoes might need improvement on the sepatrons, because they keep impacting the water and breaking up (The very front's intake gets destroyed, cutting power the the Panther engines, which in theory should let it reach 22 M/s). Only one Torpedo has actually managed to survive impact so far. :( I think I can fix those, but the back gun for some reason is notorious for exploding. I will also build the rafts. Then I will be able to release this, which currently clocks at 790 Parts and is the heaviest thing I've ever built by at least 10X. It is capable of over 17 M/s, which is good for a WWI destroyer.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

4 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

might want to take a look on this thread

26.2 g's . slap on some more legs and it will be capable of over 500kN of force (but with lower acceleration) like HERE (sorry no pics but it looks almost the same)

Oh and That post has some more info and good tables for these kinds of drives.

Edited by EladDv

The Admiralty M Destroyer now reaches 18.3 M/s, but turning circle is pretty bad, and it loses ½ its speed in 180 turn. The back gun has NOT exploded, and now the guns work.

The Torpedo tubes are all very good now, they manage not to get destroyed, and reach 23 M/s, but the Torpedo Tubes do get damaged. The whole construction is 800+ Parts and still needs Hack gravity to not get destroyed while waiting for the runway and require Hyperedit/Vessel mover, but it does work, now I just need to give the ship some small improvements in performance and hopefully neutralize the EC drain, which is sadly pretty high.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

5 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

The Admiralty M Destroyer now reaches 18.3 M/s, but turning circle is pretty bad, and it loses ½ its speed in 180 turn. The back gun has NOT exploded, and now the guns work.

The Torpedo tubes are all very good now, they manage not to get destroyed, and reach 23 M/s, but the Torpedo Tubes do get damaged. The whole construction is 800+ Parts and still needs Hack gravity to not get destroyed while waiting for the runway and require Hyperedit/Vessel mover, but it does work, now I just need to give the ship some small improvements in performance and hopefully neutralize the EC drain, which is sadly pretty high.

Maybe use multiple rudders? Big ships always lose a lot of speed while turning. Electric consumption is high intentionally, I'm not quite there yet but ideally it will have to compete with propulsion in a multiplayer battle, especially when you have hull damage and need the bilge pumps running to stay afloat. How many generators do you have? I'm aiming for a power requirement based on class ... a frigate would need only one or two,  a battleship something like six to ten.

7 hours ago, Azimech said:

Maybe use multiple rudders? Big ships always lose a lot of speed while turning. Electric consumption is high intentionally, I'm not quite there yet but ideally it will have to compete with propulsion in a multiplayer battle, especially when you have hull damage and need the bilge pumps running to stay afloat. How many generators do you have? I'm aiming for a power requirement based on class ... a frigate would need only one or two,  a battleship something like six to ten.

I'll try multiple rudders, but the problem is that I'm using 6 generators on a 80 meter long destroyer, which might be because of a poor sense of hull building, as this is my first ship. Destroyers are pretty weak ships though. :P 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

42 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I'll try multiple rudders, but the problem is that I'm using 6 generators on a 80 meter long destroyer, which might be because of a poor sense of hull building, as this is my first ship. Destroyers are pretty weak ships though. :P 

Every new ship will be an improvement, I'm still learning too ... building my own mod didn't make me a "master shipbuilder" :-)

Decided to go back to Airliner Restoration..

I had to do more tests than I'd expect.

Also, this happened.. I deliberately ditched the aircraft as a homage to a certain aircraft incident in 2009, involving US Airways..

xV3sNZX.gif

But overall it's going pretty smoothly.

Thrust Reverser testing of A330:

2nYP3Qj.gif

1 hour ago, Yukon0009 said:

Any thoughts?screenshot2097_zpsmf6v4md1.png

It's really nice, though a bit cluttered. Can that Mako fit through the Normandy's ramp?

Currently revising the Titanic with more detail, and god DAMN the lag is insane. 515 parts for such a miniscule thing.

I blame the lifeboats. Which were supposed to be functional but really aren't.

If the ship sinks enough for the lifeboats not to need to fall down, then that's a possibility..

It's not as if they're necessary for the ship to look like the Titanic..

img

BNwFPsp.jpg

..Yeah, screw it. I won't include it in.

Edited by Columbia