Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Why does the water look so buggy?

That is indeed a good question. For some reason, scatterer doesn't play nice with OpenGL. If it has happened to someone else and/or they know how to fix it, that would be awesome... If not, I will keep on changing to DirectX to take pics for the release, this one was from a quick test that wasn't supposed to work, much less make orbit afterwards, shattering a few speed records in the process.

Rune. It has a lot of muscle as a SSTO, even if it's only a STOL at full load!

1 hour ago, Rune said:

That is indeed a good question. For some reason, scatterer doesn't play nice with OpenGL. If it has happened to someone else and/or they know how to fix it, that would be awesome... If not, I will keep on changing to DirectX to take pics for the release, this one was from a quick test that wasn't supposed to work, much less make orbit afterwards, shattering a few speed records in the process.

Rune. It has a lot of muscle as a SSTO, even if it's only a STOL at full load!

It is slightly buggy in all graphics environments, it is not released so we really shouldn't expect it to be perfect, though OpenGL is the worst. Sucks for us Linux users, have to do scene changes a few times to get it right. In other news did anyone see rbrays transparent cockpits he is adding to eve, you will be able to see through all windows!

Just now, mrmcp1 said:

Small plane with folding wings

I finally managed to replicate Majorjim's hinges. 

Hey man, It's kinda hard to see what you did there. What parts did you use for the hinge? It can only really be called 'my' hinge if its a particular arrangement of Thermometer parts.

24 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

@MajorjimHere is my hinge design

IdffEHm.png

It is not an exact copy and it is not as reliable as yours but it was based on your design. 

Wow well done man! You don't need quite as many thermometers as that though. If the engines are static and the thermometers are attached to the moving part you only need two sets of 8 for a 360 rotating hinge and less if you just want the moving part to fall once. Do you use the no offset limit mod?

Admiralty M Class Destroyer Floats! Now it's time to "actually" build the bridge, and I'd love to give it some interior, but WWI Destroyers have VERY little interior details even from a good hour of looking for images and sources. I'm planning on building actual stock hinges for my Torpedo tubes. Still need to use Vessel mover or hyper edit to transport around though. :(

Edited by SaturnianBlue

16 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Wow well done man! You don't need quite as many thermometers as that though. If the engines are static and the thermometers are attached to the moving part you only need two sets of 8 for a 360 rotating hinge and less if you just want the moving part to fall once. Do you use the no offset limit mod?

I do use the no offset limit mod, it makes things much easier. Thanks for the idea of making the engines static and the thermometers move, I will give that a go and hopefully save on a few parts.  

19 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

I made a steamboat. It is powered by a DNBSD, but only goes like 3 m/s. It is also ~500 parts, but it is VERY realistic (IMO)

Any suggestions on the design?

Also I need a name :), any suggestions there?

What is DNBSD?

7 hours ago, mrmcp1 said:

I do use the no offset limit mod, it makes things much easier. Thanks for the idea of making the engines static and the thermometers move, I will give that a go and hopefully save on a few parts.  

NO problem. For a 360 rotation you need 18 thermometer parts. No more. No less.

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

What is DNBSD?

It is a Direct Narrow Band Scanner Drive, and I used/named it first on my Cricket walker design. The NBSD I would hope is obvious, and the Direct part means that the scanner directly pushes the axle, compared to a GNBSD, where there is a central "gear" and the narrow band scanners are surrounded around that, pushing. The DNBSD is decently quick, VERY simple for something like that, but it still has a limited RPM, and cant provide much torque. The GNBSD, which I am still working on, provides WAYY more torque, but has about half the RPM, and is more complicated

Just now, Bubbadevlin said:

It is a Direct Narrow Band Scanner Drive, and I used/named it first on my Cricket walker design. The NBSD I would hope is obvious, and the Direct part means that the scanner directly pushes the axle, compared to a GNBSD, where there is a central "gear" and the narrow band scanners are surrounded around that, pushing. The DNBSD is decently quick, VERY simple for something like that, but it still has a limited RPM, and cant provide much torque. The GNBSD, which I am still working on, provides WAYY more torque, but has about half the RPM, and is more complicated

Yes I know that technique. I used it on my tank track test rig. I just have never heard it called that before.

21 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Yes I know that technique. I used it on my tank track test rig. I just have never heard it called that before.

Yea, I called it that in on my grasshopper walker, and since there is no real good name for it, i just tend to call them that

Working on my Admiralty M Destroyer. Cleaned up the hull, almost done with the things in front of the bridge. I still need to update the guns. I'm building the bridge, but I'm still not satisfied. If any of you can find any sketches of the destroyer with some dimensions, that would be great. Honestly, the hardest thing about building WWI destroyers is finding perfect measurements. :P I also need to reattach those S28 Structural panels I removed, since my ship sinks without them.  I will also start working on the smokestack area of the ship too. 3vzpLhY.pngDo any of you have any input on the ship? 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Just now, SaturnianBlue said:

Working on my Admiralty M Destroyer. Cleaned up the hull, almost done with the things in front of the bridge. I still need to update the guns. I'm building the bridge, but I'm still not satisfied. If any of you can find any sketches of the destroyer with some dimensions, that would be great. Honestly, the hardest thing about building WWI destroyers is finding perfect measurements. :P I also need to reattach those S28 Structural panels I removed, since my ship sinks without them.  I will also start working on the smokestack area of the ship too. 3vzpLhY.pngDo any of you have any input on the ship? 

Looks good so far. I would spend a bit of time cleaning up all those panel angles though. When using the rotate tool click and hold the RMB then drag the mouse away and your precision will be massively increased. You can place object pixel perfect this way.