Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

2 hours ago, Rune said:

No offense taken! Besides, you got me thinking... this is not more convenient (I actually break the wheels more often, and it takes tons of time to set up), but it does look very nice, even done on the runway. Imagine on Tylo! Besides, if I can haul it back up (doubful, but hey, a man can hope... and F5 a lot), I would only need one for the whole freaking Grand Tour. The mass savings... :)

W0GVKKF.png

Rune. All the equipment fits on a single kerbal's back, too.

The other way is a stock elevator in the middle using airbrakes, I know that's where you normally have your docking port, but it can really be relocated anywhere.

Landing leg height might be an issue but maybe some hidden large landing gear?

Edited by selfish_meme

8 hours ago, DMSP said:

That looks great!

Thanks, don't hold your breath (that's just the rough first draft, to decide engine/fuel configurations and such), but eventually, I would like to finish it very much.

9 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

wouldn't a mechanism like that work (modded or not) ? :) (quick & dirty paint ;)) basically, while the arm (or synchronised arms, if placed on both sides of the rover) is swinging, it will naturally pull the rover upwards while moving it outside of the bay, before lowering it towards the ground :) (like the system used on some trucks carrying those big dumpsters) 

oK5QIRR.jpg?1

Hum. Maaaybe. The problem I see with this (for my particular build, mind you), are that I don't really have clearance on the sides of the rover... and even less on the roof of the bay, it is built to reach just dock height. An, you know, even if I can make it fit, a stock hinge (actually, two), means that I have to add docking ports to lock the mechanism afterwards for repeatability, and rockets to actuate it in the first place... and all the added weight is going to kill the LackLuster's SSTO capabilities! Remember, it is meant to single-stage Tylo... I don't have an infinite mass budget. But it is a great idea, in another build it would look really spectacular, the payload swinging down from the bay that way.

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

The other way is a stock elevator in the middle using airbrakes, I know that's where you normally have your docking port, but it can really be relocated anywhere.

Landing leg height might be an issue but maybe some hidden large landing gear?

Wait, in the middle, middle? How would that work again? You mean taking out one of the two main fuel tanks, and building some short of contraption to lower the rover vertically? Definitely don't have the mass budget for that...

Rune. Thanks for all the suggestions! You are more than welcome to try yourselves, of course.

After seeing the sub-craft from the new TV show The Expanse (I think it's referred to as the Tachi), I felt inspired to make a similar design in-game.

Albeit somewhat more like this design:

Osay1e8.png

That being said, I had to swap the space-CIWS turrets from the show with a pair of recessed guided missiles, but it still is similar.

f9vVxim.png

The nice new SSME-style engine not only replicates a single-nozzle, high-TWR engine, but also lets it land on planets, like here:

nbmsRWU.png

EpOnBs7.png

43 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

S0J69zv.pngFirst properly solar paneled dragon v2 trunk EVER!

AXOmfmQ.jpg

In other news, seeing all these rocket replicas makes me nostalgic to go back to the times when all I wanted to do was learn how to dock..

..At least now I know how to.

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Get rid of that big decoupler though man. Hide a small one inside. The one that releases on both sides. I use nothing else. Even on big rockets.

Edited by Majorjim

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

This is very realistic, just looking at photos, except the thruster shrouds, not sure what would work but they seem more tapered and wider at the bottom on the photos, see below, maybe the radial air intake (probably last thing you want to hear, I saw you were having trouble with that yesterday, feel free to ignore me, it may be the wrong size

6_dragonv2.jpg

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Get rid of that big decoupler though man. Hide a small one inside. The one that releases on both sides. I use nothing else. Even on big rockets.

Good idea!

27 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

This is very realistic, just looking at photos, except the thruster shrouds, not sure what would work but they seem more tapered and wider at the bottom on the photos, see below, maybe the radial air intake (probably last thing you want to hear, I saw you were having trouble with that yesterday, feel free to ignore me, it may be the wrong size

6_dragonv2.jpg

Thanks!  Yeah, unfortunately the intake is a bit large.

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

AXOmfmQ.jpg

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

New N1L3. What do you guys think of it?

Impressive! What's the business end of that thing look like? You using Skippers on the first stage? I can't think of any appropriate engines to cluster like that which would give enough thrust.

3 hours ago, Red Dwarf said:

Impressive! What's the business end of that thing look like? You using Skippers on the first stage? I can't think of any appropriate engines to cluster like that which would give enough thrust.

Thrust limited Vectors for first and second stages. Have to thrust and gimbal limit them to stop it flying to pieces on launch.

Captain Sierra: Very nice! Would like to see the completed thing.

On 30/12/2015 at 1:18 AM, Rune said:

No offense taken! Besides, you got me thinking... this is not more convenient (I actually break the wheels more often, and it takes tons of time to set up), but it does look very nice, even done on the runway. Imagine on Tylo! Besides, if I can haul it back up (doubful, but hey, a man can hope... and F5 a lot), I would only need one for the whole freaking Grand Tour. The mass savings... :)

W0GVKKF.png

Rune. All the equipment fits on a single kerbal's back, too.

What do you know, with two winches it works like a charm, down and back up, from an unmodified LackLuster, and with all the bits and bobs still fitting in the engineer's backpack. He would have to ride the thing down sitting in the refinery, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. BTW, engineers still give their modifier if they are sitting on chairs... right? Please? And don't worry, I'll still only release the refinery that can do this with stock rockets and nerves of steel.;)

FFXwugv.png

Interesting bit of KAS trivia: in order to reach high enough to reinforce the winch with that totally aesthetic strut, and to put the winch so far from the bay, I actually used the second winch to hoist the kerbal up a bit and do a bit of suspended construction. It's so satisfying to do that kind of thing... I think that is how I am getting it done, for sure. Would allow me to hit the arbitrary 200parts Grand-Tour-that-looks-good, too. Currently about half of the price is the "nuclear reactor" (A.K.A, x16 RTGs) to power the greenhouse through the cold night of the outer solar system (another mod you don't have to saddle yourself with), but the mass trimming keeps on going unabated. IMLKO under 200mT with mass ratio >2 and the lander fully fueled counted as cargo is definitely doable.

WQYZPAe.png

Rune. What I like the most is that is actually looks 'realistic'.

Edited by Rune

47 minutes ago, Rune said:

What do you know, with two winches it works like a charm, down and back up, from an unmodified LackLuster, and with all the bits and bobs still fitting in the engineer's backpack. He would have to ride the thing down sitting in the refinery, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. BTW, engineers still give their modifier if they are sitting on chairs... right? Please? And don't worry, I'll still only release the refinery that can do this with stock rockets and nerves of steel.;)

FFXwugv.png

Interesting bit of KAS trivia: in order to reach high enough to reinforce the winch with that totally aesthetic strut, and to put the winch so far from the bay, I actually used the second winch to hoist the kerbal up a bit and do a bit of suspended construction. It's so satisfying to do that kind of thing... I think that is how I am getting it done, for sure. Would allow me to hit the arbitrary 200parts Grand-Tour-that-looks-good, too. Currently about half of the price is the "nuclear reactor" (A.K.A, x16 RTGs) to power the greenhouse through the cold night of the outer solar system (another mod you don't have to saddle yourself with), but the mass trimming keeps on going unabated. IMLKO under 200mT with mass ratio >2 and the lander fully fueled counted as cargo is definitely doable.

WQYZPAe.png

Rune. What I like the most is that is actually looks 'realistic'.

Once complete, pleeese fly a tour in it, take pics, profit. Honestly dude. If you did that before release it would get 10 times the attention.

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Once complete, pleeese fly a tour in it, take pics, profit. Honestly dude. If you did that before release it would get 10 times the attention.

That would be the thing to do, wouldn't it? And it would be a good new year proposal: start a new save, and fly a mission from start to finish, instead of getting endlesssly sidetracked. We'll see how it goes...

BTW, after 'PDR', the IMLKO is going to be more like 250mT. But the refinery is the sum of all cuteness (duh, of course I don't need a Klaw if I'm doing this with KAS):

zVrFgBl.png

And this is what I meant by "KAS trivia":

uhxCNt2.png

Rune. Weee!!

Edited by Rune

Take a look at this monstrosity.  It's not that huge, but the plan is to make this thing have everything needed to go around the Kerbol system without having to come back to Kerbin.

xrO2DFK.png

Edited by Guest
Forgot to add the image... Stupid me.

Ok, so i finally seem to have my Saturn V working :):):)

I am installing scatterer for beauty shots now (just upgraded my computer, so i can actually run it). The craft should be released later tonight, if there are no problems 

It has been a 3 week commitment to making this thing, and i hope everyone enjoys it