Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Testing out the carrier for Inigma, the ramp at the end is great for short takeoffs, I got an old f-14 from Aanker and updated it for 105, it flies nice and looks much better with Panther Engines.

The imgur album is not showing the new image so here it is

eAwabEn.png

Edited by selfish_meme

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

Testing out the carrier for Inigma, the ramp at the end is great for short takeoffs, I got an old f-14 from Aanker and updated it for 105, it flies nice and looks much better with Panther Engines.

eAwabEn.png

You think you could build an angled landing deck to make it look like a real supercarrier? I know it's not entirely necessary, but it sure would look cool.

48 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

You think you could build an angled landing deck to make it look like a real supercarrier? I know it's not entirely necessary, but it sure would look cool.

This ship is 130m x 21m, which is 50m shorter than the first purpose built carrier, let alone a super-carrier, I don't think I can get much more in the SPH, maybe I need to get the hangar extender mod, it is already getting a bit iffy to launch at this size though. Also the part count is in the low 200's at the moment which makes it usable for Inigma.

5 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

This ship is 130m x 21m, which is 50m shorter than the first purpose built carrier, let alone a super-carrier, I don't think I can get much more in the SPH, maybe I need to get the hangar extender mod, it is already getting a bit iffy to launch at this size though. Also the part count is in the low 200's at the moment which makes it usable for Inigma.

Instead of the hangar extension mod, just use the offset tool and shift-click the craft to select the entire thing. Then just use it normally, you can offset the whole (almost) infinitely I think.

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

4 minutes ago, YargJay9991 said:

Instead of the hangar extension mod, just use the offset tool and shift-click the craft to select the entire thing. Then just use it normally, you can offset the whole (almost) infinitely I think.

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

I am pretty sure it is limited because thats all the extension mod allows you to do, shift it infinately

15 hours ago, YargJay9991 said:

I think what I'm working on will blow your mind...

I've been working on this for about 4-5 months across many versions, with help from JetEngineStar on the wings (thanks man). It has 32 Goliath jet engines and weighs around 600t from memory. I think it is the largest flying machine ever built in KSP that uses wings and lift to carry it through the sky instead of rockets. It has just over 600 parts and carries 550 kerbals. Still working out the kinks, like landing....

25DzB.png

For size comparison with the KSC:

25DzA.png

25DzC.png

Unfortunately, it must have Un-breakable joints turned on, as it falls apart on the runway. 

Will release soon so let me know what you think!

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

(This post was copied and pasted from the latest spacecraft friday thread, just to save me time. :))

There's almost always a larger aircraft somewhere, people have been busy the last 4 years.

On 16-12-2015 at 2:28 PM, selfish_meme said:

Found this in my folder from 1.04 testing, played with it a bit, cannot get it to take off without crashing, but if you edit it into the air it flies nicely, single Juno suits the performance and is a lot easier to hide.

rnRnHhs.pngIt was originally pTrevTrevs Fokker D 1, he apparently didn't use the no offset mod so I removed a ton of cubic struts and redid the struts, changed a few things here and there. And made it not take off despite having a good CoM and CoL, it just stalls nose high as soon as the wheels leave the ground. Hmmm I just realised I din't check the pilot orientation.

Solved it yet?

One of my side projects alongside my soyuz :)

Animated turboprops ! (with an appropriate test aircraft :)) (i have the animated 1.25m turbojet version too :p) - based on my good old small wheel bearing, this time encased within a structural fuselage, instead of a fairing ! - the engine vibrates a bit, but even high G manoeuvers don't stall those now :)

2FfnEl3l.jpg

ztj21es.jpg

d8YYDr6.jpg

seems like the key point to have a smoother animation is still balance :) (center as much as possible the weight between the two sets of wheels)

Here's an animated .gif of the engines running :
(note, the props turn faster ingame than what you see in the .gif ^^)

note, we reeaally need a new 2.5m crew cabin :P (inline with MK1 redesigns ^^)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Just now, sgt_flyer said:

Animated turboprops ! (with an appropriate test aircraft :)) (i have the animated 1.25m turbojet version too :p) - based on my good old small wheel bearing, this time encased within a structural fuselage, instead of a fairing ! - the engine vibrates a bit, but even high G manoeuvers don't stall those now :)

2FfnEl3l.jpg

ztj21es.jpg

d8YYDr6.jpg

seems like the key point to have a smoother animation is still balance :) (center as much as possible the weight between the two sets of wheels)

Looking good dude. Are they turned individually by rotating each reaction wheel? That I guess is the size limiter in this case. I know I have mentioned it before but I have made a spinning prop bearing the width of one cubic strut and the length of two. Spins smooth as any bearing I've seen and will not detatch no matter how hard I try.

yup, it uses roll trimmed 0.625m reaction wheels to keep spinning (5 RWs + 1 flat okto probe core - powered by 2 RTGs - the assembly itself (like the one visible on the last picture) is made of 37 parts. (needed that much RW to overcome the drag those antennas create)

the 1,25m animated turbojet i'm building with the same bearing uses only 1 rtg, 2 RWs and 1 okto probe - with no prop blades, it's much easier to roll it at a correct speed :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Just now, sgt_flyer said:

yup, it uses roll trimmed 0.625m reaction wheels to keep spinning (5 RWs + 1 flat okto probe core - powered by 2 RTGs - the assembly itself (like the one visible on the last picture) is made of 37 parts. (needed that much RW to overcome the drag those antennas create)

the 1,25m animated turbojet i'm building with the same bearing uses only 1 rtg, 2 RWs and 1 okto probe - with no prop blades, it's much easier to roll it at a correct speed :)

Cool man, Stock moving parts is such an adventure! I almost don't want Squad to make hinges and bearings!

2 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

2FfnEl3l.jpg

ztj21es.jpg

d8YYDr6.jpg

The longer the shaft, the better the balance if clearances are a problem (and they always will be since the collider mesh is not round)

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Cool man, Stock moving parts is such an adventure! I almost don't want Squad to make hinges and bearings!

Well I do, or otherwise a selection of parts in the cm-dm range, without the flexing joints associated with low part mass. I have a huge amount of real-sized things I want to build instead of a Focke Wulf 190A with a 50 meter wingspan :-)

This plane actually flies rather well

It doesnt really need slats

Instead the elevons on the center control pitch and aoa like mirages?

While the ones at the tip control pitch and roll

Edited by RevanCorana

11 minutes ago, RevanCorana said:

It doesnt really need slats

Instead the elevons on the center control pitch and aoa like mirages?

While the ones at the tip control pitch and roll

Very nice! Generally in delta wing and flying wing designs, you use elevons (I assume you mean elevators with yours, that just control pitch) which control both pitch and roll as part of one control surface. 

Okay yea I mean they both have the same amount of pitch control but the one at the tip also do roll and the one at the center do only pitch but reduce with aoa. ^^

So decided to stave off the turbine lark until 1.1/Unity 5 drops... And then suddenly found myself with this...

Much smaller than the "real" one... But general basic shape is there. Fuel flow is okay. But I really have to sort out the back end before I start adding all the greebles... So far space for two Kerbals in command seats up front...

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

106 meters long, 13 meters wide.

Regarding the "if anyone knows how to disable the stock overheating display...": I think that's one of the F's, F10 or F11. F12 is aerodynamics, that I remember, but I always forget the gauges and the heating overlay.

Rune. But you should know that already, so maybe I'm missing something here...

19 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

eAwabEn.png

i REALLY like this, now my current K drive lifter can do 20 mT without a problem and can work in tandem with other drives, would you like to cooperate on the first ever stock (K-Drive) flying aircraft carrier in KSP? you'd just need to make the body and let me worry about lifting it

Just now, EladDv said:

i REALLY like this, now my current K drive lifter can do 20 mT without a problem and can work in tandem with other drives, would you like to cooperate on the first ever stock (K-Drive) flying aircraft carrier in KSP? you'd just need to make the body and let me worry about lifting it

Is hovering possible with a K-drive?

6 hours ago, EladDv said:

Look in Inigmas need a stock aircraft carrier thread there is a download there

You might need to add some struts, it's not meant to take off.

Edited by selfish_meme

I have a supersonic bomber I reconfigured to be a water rescue craft. I had to lighten it and rebalnce it, but it's an easy-to-fly aircraft. Takes off nicely and can come in slow and smooth for a water landing. It can take off from land, land in water, extend ladders for Kerbals to swim to and has a "cargo" bay for stranded Kerbals to sit in. 

Taking off was an issue though, as I could only achieve 37 m/s. I fixed that by adding 5 smaller jet engines underneath in a second cargo pod that was my bomb bay.

So it can take off from water, land on land, take off from land and land in water.

screenshot12_zpsyw41p2oo.png