Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Made a random plane inspired by the J-31 / F-35

3LoOBAZ.png

I crashed into the island airfield control tower and uhhh....this happened

I90ye8P.png

Notice the thin line between the cockpit and the tower...it's a strut connecter....interesting phenomenen anyone seen this before?

Trying...

lXCePaT.png

Zro8rY0.png

Edited by Thingymajigy

CL-01 & and my new BB-02 cruising towards ... nothing really.
BB-02 "Bellatrix"
length: 284m.
beam: 38m.
mass: 117k tons.
top speed: 52 km/h
parts: 274
armament: 4x 46cm Yamato turrets.

CL-01 "Tau Ceti"
length: 191m.
beam: 24m.
mass: 40k tons.
top speed: 65 km/h
parts: 255
armament: 4x 15.2cm US turrets.

The BB-01 is too part heavy and too complex. The BB-02 is a lot simpler but uglier and has no interiour. It's all about gameplay after all.

Then I found out the cruiser beat the s@*t out the battleship because of a configuration error and design flaw. Hey ... the mod is not a 1.0 release :)

I haven't been able to get too much progress, but I've managed to improve the detail of the smokestack-torpedo tubes areas. I'll need to make better torpedo tubes, as the NAS ones are place holders (the real Admiralty M destroyers had Twin torpedo tubes). Next is the stern. The pom-pom has a projectile, but it is very slow compared to "real" ones.

Edit: This is still in WW2 Warships .35, I'll need to update.

Turning is ok, but it loses A LOT of speed doing so. The ship can reach ~20 M/s now.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

11 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I haven't been able to get too much progress, but I've managed to improve the detail of the smokestack-torpedo tubes areas. I'll need to make better torpedo tubes, as the NAS ones are place holders (the real Admiralty M destroyers had Twin torpedo tubes). Next is the stern. The pom-pom has a projectile, but it is very slow compared to "real" ones.

Edit: This is still in WW2 Warships .35, I'll need to update.

Turning is ok, but it loses A LOT of speed doing so. The ship can reach ~20 M/s now.

Losing speed is normal, both WW2W ships and real ships do so. Nice progress! Please post some pictures in my topic.

By the way, if you encounter different behaviour with your ship after upgrading to 0.4, let me know. I'm changing a lot of configurations right now and already spot an error in 0.4.

Edited by Azimech

LkxCpGj.png

LCaULfF.png

3Pmxekd.png

The heavy lifting is finished and despite passing 1000 tons it still remains below 600 parts for now. Next comes the lighter features, Inclusion of power, struts, munitions, Fixing the 98 reaction wheels, and lighting. Two of the screenshots show the sheer scale of the ship, docked below it are 2 destroyers and the beside it is shown an unattached fighter. Even with hack gravity just tapping the runway makes it collapse in fear(Yes I'm able to test monstrosities of this scale outside the SPH now)

Edited by Spartwo

Now I need to add some flags and wires to the warship, and I need to replace the "placeholder" 4 inch guns with actual hinged guns, and build rotating torpedo tubes, hopefully twin torpedo ones. I need to improve the turning ability, and maybe action group some of the turbines. I'm at just over 600 parts, and I'd imagine this might reach 800 once I finish the weapons and wires up.

Busy on a stock Spitfire model. Any suggestions to improve the model? (especially the cockpit area and the wings)

Screw this model, I'm turning it into a He-112 and building a new Spit

olCJCtV.jpg

VeZb1fN.jpg

Update: It looks more like a He 112, redesigning the wings and tail now

Edited by TheSpaceManiac

Just now, Giggleplex777 said:

LV-1Rs? Those were what I used for my variable sweep wings:

Possibly yes. I have seen quite a few people using my little hinges and was curious to see if that is what Yukon used. Yup, you can push them, I'm not sure if swept wings would make any appreciable difference though.

18 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Possibly yes. I have seen quite a few people using my little hinges and was curious to see if that is what Yukon used. Yup, you can push them, I'm not sure if swept wings would make any appreciable difference though.

It would make an appreciable difference to looks though!

Just now, selfish_meme said:

It would make an appreciable difference to looks though!

I'm surprised it has not been done before. It's a basic concept. Many Spider engines in a line, push with legs. I think it would be glitchy if not docked.

2 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I'm surprised it has not been done before. It's a basic concept. Many Spider engines in a line, push with legs. I think it would be glitchy if not docked.

I had thought about it, but never got around to it, until the spider thermometer bearings became available it was always going to be bulky, but I would probably use airbrakes to move the wings, maybe have them docked in the spread position for reliable high g manoeuvring, then swept and undocked for sprints.

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Giggle did it. I actually DL'd a couple of them, worked beautifully while staying a single ship. Of course it was totally for the looks of it, with no difference made, but hey, it was worth it.

Rune. Right around that time I started fiddling with this kind of hinge too, after having been using Klaws for a long time.

Just now, Rune said:

Giggle did it. I actually DL'd a couple of them, worked beautifully while staying a single ship. Of course it was totally for the looks of it, with no difference made, but hey, it was worth it.

Rune. Right around that time I started fiddling with this kind of hinge too, after having been using Klaws for a long time.

Yup, like I said, not surprised. :D I remember the cargo door you made using the antengine/one ship/ wobble hinges. The legs take up so much space though..

32 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

until the spider thermometer bearings became available it was always going to be bulky,

Yup, precisely why I created them.

I built the working gun turret. It separates from the main shaft stand, and the inner shaft is full of LFO, and a fuel cell converts this to EC, with powers the SAS, and this allows the turret to turn 360 Degrees. Kinda clunky though, and it won't help AI BDA ships.

As for the main destroyer, I just realized that I ignored the whaling boats and dingys... I might skip that for now and work on the torpedoes.

On 2016/1/23 at 8:56 AM, Spartwo said:

LkxCpGj.png

LCaULfF.png

3Pmxekd.png

The heavy lifting is finished and despite passing 1000 tons it still remains below 600 parts for now. Next comes the lighter features, Inclusion of power, struts, munitions, Fixing the 98 reaction wheels, and lighting. Two of the screenshots show the sheer scale of the ship, docked below it are 2 destroyers and the beside it is shown an unattached fighter. Even with hack gravity just tapping the runway makes it collapse in fear(Yes I'm able to test monstrosities of this scale outside the SPH now)

Based off Normandy SR1?