Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Precision landing is a new thing for me. Come to think of it so is landing with a payload...

And so is building a base...

And I've never quicksaved...

What could go wrong here?

Anyway I'll attach the modules when I bring down the rover. Just having them near each other is good enough for now.

hmrQwIO.png

Well the base is coming along quite smoothly but the metal plate won't come off the front of the rover making it useless. :(

Trying to find a way of removing it without destroying the rest of the rover.

I could bounce the connecting tubes into place due to their reaction wheels which was pretty fun! :)

nW0QpAF.png

Well the base is coming along quite smoothly but the metal plate won't come off the front of the rover making it useless. :(

Trying to find a way of removing it without destroying the rest of the rover.

I could bounce the connecting tubes into place due to their reaction wheels which was pretty fun! :)

http://i.imgur.com/nW0QpAF.png

What the boop? Please don't tell me I have a parent part bug in there. The metal plate is supposed to be connected to the I-beam, which is connected to the rover by a 0.625m decoupler. If that bugged somewhere along the build (after I had used it countless times, of course! :mad:) ... screw it, I no longer use that packaging method in the new version that lands itself. I think I'm focusing the development of that one to supersede all other versions, and that should take care of that.

But just in case, the rovers packaged on the Dao don't have those structural elements either.

Edit: Or you could try Chop it!, which should solve your particular issue, and let you remove the extra landing gear too after you are done building the base.

Rune. Will I ever have a bug-free release?

Edited by Rune

What the boop? Please don't tell me I have a parent part bug in there. The metal plate is supposed to be connected to the I-beam, which is connected to the rover by a 0.625m decoupler. If that bugged somewhere along the build (after I had used it countless times, of course! :mad:) ... screw it, I no longer use that packaging method in the new version that lands itself. I think I'm focusing the development of that one to supersede all other versions, and that should take care of that.

But just in case, the rovers packaged on the Dao don't have those structural elements either.

Rune. Will I ever have a bug-free release?

It may have something to do with a kraken attack I had. When I undocked that part of the package its (and the crane) went into an uncontrollable spin and the camera flew away somewhere. Eventually it just teleported away. I found it 100km higher than it was a second ago and on a suborbital course. Managed to save it as once it was found again it seemed to work fine.

It may have something to do with a kraken attack I had. When I undocked that part of the package its (and the crane) went into an uncontrollable spin and the camera flew away somewhere. Eventually it just teleported away. I found it 100km higher than it was a second ago and on a suborbital course. Managed to save it as once it was found again it seemed to work fine.

Hum. Then I think it really has something broken, and I can even venture the guess that it had something to do with the upgrade to 0.90. That assembly pre-dates it, and I had fishy things happen with a couple that went through the version change docked to a station in my save. Nothing quite like yours, but it is a clippy arrangement. In any case, the newest, stupendous version shouldn't have those issues, or the one on the Dao which is already released, so things can wait until I test it properly this time. I swear I'm going to grab a vanilla version of the game, and just do a mission with the uploaded file to make sure!

Rune. I call game bug on this one!

FIREBIRD Old wings only challenge complete :D

Ultra-cute ultra-light plane flying in FAR (notice the perfect body drag shape 7 tanks 2 stayputnik)

can fly for 5mins approx (depends a lot on throttle) and reach around 15G

with vernor control, SAS, & tutti quanti ..

WlWfAng.jpg

cnaUheT.jpg

cBkJQ3k.jpg

TIq2w6m.jpg

Vid coming up this evening

I'll probably do some sort of "FAR pack" at the same time

Nice base Rune, even though I won't really find a use for it, I applause the technical complexity. :confused:

You seem to have trouble with parent part bug, you can try editing the part file in the notebook if you know where (which part) the problem comes from.

Worked for me once or twice!

Epic wobble times! lol

Edited by RevanCorana

First launch! Now to get it to fly properly on reentry..

http://i.imgur.com/MO3Gv3J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/B7bQnHD.png

http://i.imgur.com/kvhywFP.png

http://i.imgur.com/lRztfcp.png

- - - Updated - - -

Ok quick question: Anyone know why this cant fly straight? Yaw and thrust are not an issue. Whenever I turn away from prograde it flips and tumbles.

http://i.imgur.com/o5sdYbe.jpg

Take a really close look at the COL from bow to stern or vise versa. The little surfaces have a habit of putting it slightly off (like so slightly it may not be immediately apparent). Also, Grab the craft and move it around in the SPH keeping an eye on the COL as you move the craft around.

Edited by Majorjim

To elaborate a bit, when I pitch up or down in the VAB the CoL shifts in front and below the CoM. The only explanation I can think of is that the wings are too far down, which I cannot change due to this being a shuttle analogue.

Might have too many wings. Does adding a few SAS modules help?