Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Hmm would people be interested in the mk2 titan hunter or nah?

i have pretty much filed it away otherwise.

it splits in two, the bigger half can not be flown but the front section is still flyable after it splits, can use it if the plane breaks or it can be used to orbit as a 2 stage to orbit as the small section uses a Rapier engine and carries oxidizer.

t75PJFZ.jpg

fjvKM5E.jpg

Edit:

On that note i was digging through my old craft files and look what works in 0.90 lol, i made it in either in 0.23 or 0.22, surprised it still loaded on 0.90 so i fixed it up a bit.

i think this was one of the most popular things i ever made for some reason, still does 15g turns so thats nice i guess.

0upbT1u.jpg

Edit:

Well ill be damned the mini beast still works too.

both still have the insane amount of controls clipped inside, so both still do the 15g+ turns. :confused:

For some reason i can not make a new plane that can out do these two in g force still. even that new Titan hunter mk3 falls short it is just better in every other way.

O6zbqKU.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

shuttle tweaked a bit more. new tank design. no fuel lines. 286 parts (instead of 304) to deliver a full orange and full yellow to 200km circ orbit. srb tweaks are up next for hands free perfect lift off, and perfect separation event. then comes documenting min fuel required to lift empty, and recommend fuel for medium cargo. i still need a medium cargo subassembly to test. anyone want to offer one? perhaps a cool science package or what not?

I only post the good shots. Figured I'd post what's REALLY happening behind the scenes during this WIP...

It was Bob's fault this time.

wAHr1q6.png

Lots o' fun.

Now for tonight's shake down flight:

Fully fueled Space Fuel Tank at 200km orbit before decoupling from Shuttle.

pKiGZeX.png

Successful delivery with more than enough monoprop to make it back to KSC!

trMbcz1.png

Edited by inigma

Ok,

First, Thanks to Rune for the input on control systems for my puller lift system. I haven't had a chance to experiment or even tinker with that design yet but its on my list and will be the next thing I work on.

Second, I was able to build a crude proof of concept craft last night based on some idea's that were rolling around in my head. Normally when I launch payload into orbit I build whatever it is I'm making then I just slap some rockets under it and maybe setup an asparagus staging system if I truly need to maximize capacity or something. All essentially custom, generic and uninspired. I've only briefly toyed around with standardized lift engines or cargo hauling craft/shuttles (as seen from my last posting). The normal fatal flaw I run into is getting my payload to fit or meet the specifications of the rocket I built prior... Far to many times I find trying to strap a standardized lift engine or cargo hauler to ether require completely rebuilding the payload to fit, adjusting/breaking the size up, or not having the power to push an oversized load where I want it, which is why I normally revert back to generic, special made design.

Well for this craft I wanted it to be different so instead of my normal "Hey lets throw some stuff together that looks cool and have lots of Delta V and hope it will be useful" design efforts, I've instead started with a list of requirements I want this craft to accomplish and with them a generic mission profile for the craft. This is the results

Requirements

1. Payload Launching
    1. Ability to carry Large Objects (Sized Bigger than MK3 Hulls or Extra Large Tanks)
    2. Ability to Lift 72-100 Tons of Payload to an elevation of 200-300k
    3. Payload to be shielded from Atmospheric Flight
    4. Capable of 100% Landing & Recovery in as few of pieces as possible (Fairings included if part of the design)
    5. Payload Recovery
      1. Ability to Launch SSTO without Payload
      2. Ability to Recover Objects of Large Size (Sized Bigger than MK3 Hulls or Extra Large Tanks)
      3. Ability to Recover Objects of 32-40 Tons
      4. Safely Secure Recovered Objects
      5. Recovered Payload to be shielded from Atmospheric Flight
      6. Capable of 100% Landing & Recovery in as few of pieces as possible (Payload included)

[*]Multi-Mission Flexibility

1. Ability to attach boosters in a safe manner to extend range or lift capacity on pad

With those in mind this is the proof of concept craft. Tweaking is still needed and some of the items are still necessary to add to meet my goals.. but the core seems to be stable and successful at being capable of accomplishing all items of its mission.

Standardized Lift, Launch and Recovery Platform v0.1

b88pf0y.png

This is just after a successful launch to a 300k orbit and return to a safe landing. Please note no actual landing systems have been installed yet. As a result engines and drag provided 100% of the landing capabilities. The outer skin of the craft is still needed, I intend the outside will be completely covered so the payload which will go under it will shielded from atmospheric flight.

Let me walk you threw a series of test flights and what I was testing.

cOqKhPf.png

Here we are launching straight up with a 72 ton dummy weight.. yes it still has enough TWR to lift it off the pad

pdd7Q7q.png

ywsB9tq.png

tHqB4CX.png

xwcj4Hd.png

And here we are at 267k Aposis with a full tank. No we aren't in orbit.. I just went straight up, I also held back 1k Delta V for reserve on landing needs.. so far MechJeb only needed about 250-300 to land but thats without any chutes soo I have hopes I can almost eliminate that. Point is I can get it up there and expect the finished craft could go further safely without jeopardizing the landing.. Technically the payload was still attached so that 1k Delta V was probably more like 1.4k after I dump the payload. Honestly the only limiting factor I'm seeing on this side of things is the starting TWR, its already pretty tight soo I could lift heavier cargo into vacuum but I'd have to play with fuel levels to conserve weight or strap a few boosters on for the starting life. Now I know what your thinking.. whats the point of being that high if your not doing a gravity turn and pushing yourself into orbit? Well I didn't really intend for this to be a SSTO hauler on the lifting side.. I actually envision it as more of a mobile launch platform... so I tested that.

4eR3jFW.png

PLYYqJr.png

I'm sure they get toasty but with the mute button you can barely hear their screams

Here is the liftoff with a small craft with a large 72T tank and Large Engine. Now this Vessel technically takes up the entire cargo length but in my next evolution I intend to nearly double my cargo length.. Just need to find a way to do so without destroying my weight... but thats a problem for tomorrow.

JEpJi4o.png

Ys2gPIm.png

Houston we have seperation

Made it to elevation, Still a full tank of gas in the payload section. Now I cut loose and launch my "Real" rocket from the vacuum of space. This experiment I used one of the extra large engines, but you could easily and quite effectively use some nukes which benefit the most from being launched in vacuum.

pzwCJlf.png

YbOwkrc.png

Burn baby Burn

And to orbit with my test rocket.. don't mind its uninspired design or the use of mechjeb as a nose cone (honestly I just slapped it together as a quick test, my actual payloads I like to think are slightly more thought out).

caMOxXt.png

Unfortunately this time Mechjeb's landing protocols picked a bad spot for the launch vehicle (something I'll be able to adjust manually when I add in a proper landing chute system).. but I won't deny you guys a good explosion

MeZ2ORw.png

And it bounced.. Whoops there goes the pad... well shoot now I launched 3 Kerbals to orbit on a test craft that I never bothered to setup landing or docking systems on, and now my launch site is in ruins so I can't roll out another rocket to rescue them... I hope they packed snacks because I didn't really plan for that ether =P

Now, don't get me wrong. I still have a lot of development to do here and many systems to install (Landing Systems, Skin for Atmospheric Flight, RCS, Payload Length Extension, Safer Landing Procedures, Aux Recovery Craft/Systems), Ideally when finished I'd like the landing sequence to enter the atmosphere head first using the skin as a "heat shield" then slowing with chutes and flipping the craft with chutes when under 8km to land vertically with slight engine power. However as a test vehicle, I think the proof of concept is valid enough for me to push on with the next stage of development. Hopefully I'll have some real time this weekend to install and tweak a good chunk of these systems. Overall, I'm satisfied with the test flight results given the time I put in.

Both the CJS Venture and the CJS Explorator are fully loaded and ready for departure to the Mun. I've always been more of a builder than a pilot so this is my first large scale mission. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

The CJS Venture is a KT-1A Light Freighter while the CJS Explorator is its successor class, the KT-2A Light Freighter. Built off the same basic frame but has double the cargo capacity to the Mun. (18 tons for the KT-1, 36 for the KT-2) Pretty sure its ready for release. :)

Between them cargo is: A Kethane Satallite, a dropship, a rover, an orbiter, an RCS tug, a hab module, and a Kethane outpost. There is already a lander waiting in Munar orbit for their arrival.

The CJS Venture

WukOlHK.png

The CJS Explorator

HArI0xz.png

This kinds of shuttle inspire me all kinds of ideas... I think I could balance one with liquid fuelled boosters (to keep the main engines from taking their fuel). The difficult thing would be to build a chibi-orbiter that looks as good as yours!

Rune. Ideally, in a lot less parts ;)

This look like a copy/remake of Giggleplex's mini shuttle...

As you probably already know, I love craft design, first and foremost. That's why I made the Open Source Construction Techniques thread. I think it's valuable to share techniques and designs that might inspire others in their craft building.

One problem I have is that most of my designs never see the light of day because they're often not ready for their own thread, and may never be. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I created this thread so can post your works-in-progress and give and receive feedback on your nascent creations.

What a great thread! I never knew it existed until this afternoon. When 0.90 came out I made the decision to start all over and only progress onto my next project when I successfully mastered the one I was working on. I introduce the Knat Mk 1, a small jet aircraft. It's fairly nimble and easy to fly, but I am not too sure how to package it for release yet. IF anyone could give me some pointers, I would be more than happy to share it with anyone that's interested. Anyhow, here are a few pictures that show it in flight and on the ground.

2015-01-20_00006Mobile_zps8d35cd24.jpg 2015-01-20_00001Mobile_zps090cf6b2.jpg 2015-01-20_00007Mobile_zpsd46ac012.jpg 2015-01-20_00008Mobile_zpsa6f77b6b.jpg

I welcome any feedback and your opinions if it is indeed "share worthy" :huh:

Edited by adsii1970

Well that's a descent stage where the fuel lines could be neater ;)

Rune. Other than that, looks good!

Wholeheartedly agree. Looks great, but hide those fuel lines! There's nothing worse than fuel lines attached to nothing because of engine collision meshes.