Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Plot twist: The ailerons make a great bearing, you just need to make the ring a bit smaller.

Ok, I haven't actually tried it, but you still gave me the idea.

Really?

Mine doesn't use ailerons. I'm curious to see what you do with the ailerons to make a bearing!

Still technically a WIP, but definitely passing the tests so far.

jkzbVlP.png

How am I gonna get this thing to Laythe? Heck if I know. How am I even gonna get it to orbit?

Fully VTOL capable.

2Nc9tCT.png

CoT is above the CoM so it wants to lever down, but thats manageable. Engine position tuning and more pitch authority will help with that.

YfAFhY6.png

She's fully water landing capable up to ~50m/s safely. A good landing requires careful VTOL engine usage to minimize vertical drop. If the crew cabins hit the water you're done.

Ya know, I bet that it's 2 craft which you decoupled from each other.

Of course, it's stock so it couldn't be otherwise. :wink:

I made something like it here, and I was trying to have someone debug the turret, but no response. It's nice to see that someone figured it out.

This is all my own work if that's what you mean. The only way to make stock bearings is to have a detaching rotating part. Some use the landing gear some use reaction wheels inside a cage.

This method has precise control thought out all angles of movement due to the parts that hold it are always in contact with the central rotating part and have suspension. Ok there I basically told you what I used.

So much for secrets. :D

Can you post a picture of your one? I cant do any downloading at the moment.

Sure.

By no means was I trying to say that you stole my stuff. I'm sorry if you understood it that way (but if you understood it in the way that I intended, I'm not sorry at all! :sticktongue:).

Mine was designed to be part of a tank, and was made in .25, but I think it still works.

I'll edit the post with pics as soon as I have them, probably tomorrow.

Edit: Mine was so secret, no one even heard of it, even the people I sent it to!:cool:

Edited by Dman979
Secrets

Sure.

By no means was I trying to say that you stole my stuff. I'm sorry if you understood it that way (but if you understood it in the way that I intended, I'm not sorry at all! :sticktongue:).

Mine was designed to be part of a tank, and was made in .25, but I think it still works.

I'll edit the post with pics as soon as I have them, probably tomorrow.

Edit: Mine was so secret, no one even heard of it, even the people I sent it to!:cool:

No, no I merely meant that it wasn't from your request post to fix yours. :)

lol, what parts did you use?

Edited by Majorjim

Hey look, a perfect water landing!

KHCFf1b.png

And she taxis out of the water perfectly. She'll be great on Laythe.

2gWs7ps.png

Only drawback is the fuel consumption. 600L isn't going to fly as far as I'd like. To be worked on. (turbojets maybe? She doesn't climb great and there's a control authority dropoff at around 6km).

No, no I merely meant that it wasn't from your request post to fix yours. :)

lol, what parts did you use?

I used 2 large SAS for a turret w/ 5 Kerbals, structural panels for the sides, some I-beams for armor in the top, a decoupler at the bottom, and another SAS, this one 1.25 m.

I used 2 large SAS for a turret w/ 5 Kerbals, structural panels for the sides, some I-beams for armor in the top, a decoupler at the bottom, and another SAS, this one 1.25 m.

Right ok, so reaction wheels inside a square tube. How did you stop it lifting itself out?

Also, Majorjim, does it work at high speeds? *cough* helicopter *cough*

This is an issue.. I was working on a helicopter when making this. As a turret bearing its amazing. solid and stable with lots of freedom of movement.

I have made a helicopter from it and it goes up brilliantly with slow blade RPM. Anything speedy and it wreaks the internals.. I'm still working on it.

And I may have another method for small bearings that will work at high speeds. Based of current available bearings. This one technically is too but nobody has made it this way yet.

Edited by Majorjim

Of course, it's stock so it couldn't be otherwise. :wink:

This is all my own work if that's what you mean. The only way to make stock bearings is to have a detaching rotating part. Some use the landing gear some use reaction wheels inside a cage.

This method has precise control thought out all angles of movement due to the parts that hold it are always in contact with the central rotating part and have suspension. Ok there I basically told you what I used.

So much for secrets. :D

Can you post a picture of your one? I cant do any downloading at the moment.

So which rover wheels did you say you use, and how do you say you squeeze them in there? It's a gorgeously small rotor.

Rune. Looking forward to seeing the internals.

've been trying to come up with a small stock bearing for a while and I have finally managed to stabilize it.

In the video you can see it set up as a turret demonstrator. Sorry to be a tease but the method is a secret at the moment unit I finish a craft using it.

I will say, I haven't seen any other bearings that are built like this.

It is really stable and can, as a turret pivot up and down for aiming. Have a look at the video below.

Come on tell us about your magic tricks !

I want to try to make a modular FAR plane with that lol

So which rover wheels did you say you use, and how do you say you squeeze them in there? It's a gorgeously small rotor.

Rune. Looking forward to seeing the internals.

It is just a little bit wider than 1meter parts. I think i can clean it up to be smaller though.

Come on tell us about your magic tricks !

I want to try to make a modular FAR plane with that lol

LOL sry to be a tease. I will show the internals in a day or two man.

Right ok, so reaction wheels inside a square tube. How did you stop it lifting itself out?

Actually, I used 8 of the panels, so it was almost circular. To keep it from coming out, I used a cubic strut on the bottom of the large SAS, and then added a small SAS and the decoupler. To keep it from coming out, I put I-beams or panels on the top of the tube so they lined up with the gap created by the cubic strut. Since the parts below the strut were larger that the strut itself, they could not slip out the gap... in theory. In reality, phantom forces knocked the thing out of alignment, and the connections sometimes bent, and strutting wouldn't fix it.:( The idea looked like this: Bearing%20Housing%20Lubrication%20Magazine%20Article%20Part%203.jpg

Looking at the diagram, I can see what one would use the wheels for.

Edited by Dman979
Incomplete post

Working on a new dropship. It looks promising :) It's very stable, maneuverable, easy to fly and can carry up to 192t.

Here's a picture of it with MAZ replica from my trucks thread:

QBCtPvA.png

h9yayUQ.png

h1Wxeeh.png

System's total mass (dropship+cargo) on these pictures is 84,85 t

And here's a future Kowloon-class transport ship from Mass Effect:

OzObaB9.png

MSVIronJack.jpg
Edited by Nik_601

LOL sry to be a tease. I will show the internals in a day or two man.

I was too impatient not to try to build one, and after a bit of testing im pretty sure that it's made of a spherical part (3-4 rcs radial tank cabled together, or the stayputnik command pod) and a spherical container that plug in when you decouple.

Is that it?

Edited by RevanCorana

I was too impatient not to try to build one, and after a bit of testing im pretty sure that it's made of a spherical part (3-4 rcs radial tank cabled together, or the stayputnik command pod) and a spherical container that plug in when you decouple.

Is that it?

Nope. It's actually quite like current methods as I stated before but different, not used parts. In fact I'm just putting together a video and download.

Nope. It's actually quite like current methods as I stated before but different, not used parts. In fact I'm just putting together a video and download.

Cool, I never tried bearing before so.. xD pretty ignorant on the matter

I'm sure stayputnik could make a wonderful heavy bearing somehow

What do you guys think about my stock rotor?

UpOjYvN.jpg

DOWM8Ct.jpg

It's built around a stayputnik so that it supports a slight tilt with the main body, I kinda want to build a hollow copter with it, once i've reduced size and part count

Edited by RevanCorana