Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Going to start a grand tour rocket. My goal is to build a singular rocket that can take a kerbal to every single landable planet (so every celestial body, except Kerbol and Jool) This is just the lander with two stages under it to take it to 100k orbit. From there the little lander can go to mun, then minimus, then return (no parachutes, so I had to land it manually, which worked out fine)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(there is a seat on one side and two rtg's to balance out the kerbal + enough torque to keep everything straight)

I like that its so simple and minimalistic, yet so functioning

Working on a lil RCS-powered jetpack. Not much of a range, but it sure is fun :)

I'm thinkin I might use em to drop kerbals from LKO to Kerbin

Been trying to find a decent (and small) way of having a Kerbal come down from LKO in a "dropship" like craft for a while now. I can't believe I never thought of something like this. Very cool.

Been trying to find a decent (and small) way of having a Kerbal come down from LKO in a "dropship" like craft for a while now. I can't believe I never thought of something like this. Very cool.

Thanks! :D I saw someone else had posted one on here, and that inspired me to do mine. Wish I remembered who it was, they need some rep :)

Does it come with a Ejector seat?

Working on a lil RCS-powered jetpack. Not much of a range, but it sure is fun

I'm thinkin I might use em to drop kerbals from LKO to Kerbin

Looks like fun xD

Awesome lines on your VTOL/SSTO Majorjim! Next step, use the same engine for vtol and ssto by using a rotating bearing to save weight ^^

Here's 2 random screens flying around with no mods at all except FAR, stock lightning transition

ae3KsVH.jpg

5MuSum6.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

Looks like fun xD

Awesome lines on your VTOL/SSTO Majorjim! Next step, use the same engine for vtol and ssto by using a rotating bearing to save weight ^^

Thanks man. I've seen a stock VTOL that uses the same engine for lift and level flight. But it seriously limits creative freedom as the resulting craft looks like a bearing with wings...

Having said that, I will try to come up with a truly original solution to this.

Shh. Top secret project. I wanted to wow Spacecraft Exchange with this thing but the cat got out of the bag when I nearly lost it in an accidental save game deletion. It took Claw and Starwhip to resurrect it from a persistence file I luckily saved elsewhere. The results of such an effort speak for themselves. I took a page out of Westi29 and Naito's shuttles and added my OCD wing and engineering skills to come up with this.

I've never done a shuttle before, but figured I'd put all my skills into building one with accuracy balance low part count and maximum practical use in mind.

W4GBCO0.png

bGnyxb1.png

gPkfRkw.png

I've spent hours on this thing. Hours. I wanted to raise the bar on visual appearance and practicality. I'm hoping it's probably one of the best NASA style shuttle replicas possible in stock KSP.

This is her maiden flight. Empty cargo bay. Perfectly flawless. Landed back at KSC. No mods except what you see here: KER.

She's powerful. Next up is cargo testing to see what she can carry. The fun part! :D

Edited by inigma

I've spent hours on this thing. Hours. I wanted to raise the bar on visual appearance and practicality. I'm hoping it's probably one of the best NASA style shuttle replica possible in KSP.

This is her maiden flight. Empty cargo bay. Perfectly flawless. Landed back at KSC. No mods except what you see here: KER.

She's powerful. Next up is cargo testing to see what she can carry. The fun part! :D

Awesome work, but I think the title of best shuttle replica has to go to EJ_SA on Twitch:

cEsgx2t.png

Yours absolutely looks more practical/useable. EJ's launches take about 30 minutes due to the physics slowdown.

With an empty cargo bay, the publishable craft file is 278 parts with launcher. 168 for the shuttle. Anything more is whatever you decide to put into the cargo bay. I've got final tweaking of the sunken sepatrons for that perfect Y shaped booster sep (a work of art in itself), and then cargo testing. Its designed to put into orbit a full orange tank plus full yellow rcs tank, plus hardware. A magnum opus on my part if it all works out. We'll see. Currently empty she makes 1 million km orbit easily. She has no clipped tanks. Ill need that dV for cargo targeted above 120km.

Edited by inigma

Shh. Top secret project. I wanted to wow Spacecraft Exchange with this thing but the cat got out of the bag when I nearly lost it in an accidental save game deletion. It took Claw and Starwhip to ressurect it from a persistence file I luckily saved elsewhere. The results of such an effort speak for themselves. I took a page out of Westi29 and Naito's shuttles and added my OCD wing and engineering skills to come up with this.

I've never done a shuttle before, but figured I'd put all my skills into building one with accuracy balance low part count and maximum practical use in mind.

http://i.imgur.com/W4GBCO0.png

http://i.imgur.com/bGnyxb1.png

http://i.imgur.com/gPkfRkw.png

I've spent hours on this thing. Hours. I wanted to raise the bar on visual appearance and practicality. I'm hoping it's probably one of the best NASA style shuttle replicas possible in stock KSP.

Well, I don't want to brag, but I hope you are not going for "most part efficient shuttle", you know that's my thing :P

But now, seriously, congrats! Shuttles ain't easy for sure, and doubly so with true SRBs. Word of advice, though: it won't fly nearly the same when you put payload on it, so you are going to have to find the appropiate thrust settings on the SRBs for each payload weight. In mine, for example, payload is almost 40% of the orbiter's takeoff weight, that's significant. It's actually the part where I was the least accurate: my shuttle is much more efficient that the one in RL xD.

Rune. Building for potato computers since 2012!

Well, I don't want to brag, but I hope you are not going for "most part efficient shuttle", you know that's my thing :P

But now, seriously, congrats! Shuttles ain't easy for sure, and doubly so with true SRBs. Word of advice, though: it won't fly nearly the same when you put payload on it, so you are going to have to find the appropiate thrust settings on the SRBs for each payload weight. In mine, for example, payload is almost 40% of the orbiter's takeoff weight, that's significant. It's actually the part where I was the least accurate: my shuttle is much more efficient that the one in RL xD.

Rune. Building for potato computers since 2012!

Yes I have a challenge before me with cargo testing. I'm going more for practicality than part count. Realism is next after those two. Its a fine balance. I want this thing to land with a full orange tank and full yellow rcs in the bay...and it does. It requires a suicide dive using main engines borrowing fuel from the orange tank to gain the 240m/s to level out, but it works. Took ages to composite the right wings and internal balance to make it so...and fly empty. If I didn't have composite wings, the total part count would drop below 200. Cant wait for better aerodynamics in the next KSP update.

Edited by inigma