Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Ok I need some help on this.

http://i.imgur.com/fpY5Yii.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HYP8JJs.jpg

Once the plane's pitch goes below the prograde marker, it will immediately pitch down uncontrollably. No flips or spins, just a lawn-dart. Meanwhile, keeping it pitched up will allow it to fly perfectly, no issues there. I've tried putting canards on the front, in the back, etc. but it refuses to even change it's flight characteristics. Putting that lift indicator in the front or back or on top (as in the pics) of the CoM also has no effect.

It's not an aerodynamic issue. Basically your thrust is over your CoM and that is creating a downward pitching torque. Move the jets down or the CoM up, and the issue should solve itself. Although a CoL before the CoM is another recipe for disaster, especially with full tanks on the rear of the plane.

Rune. It's often overlooked.

It's not an aerodynamic issue. Basically your thrust is over your CoM and that is creating a downward pitching torque. Move the jets down or the CoM up, and the issue should solve itself. Although a CoL before the CoM is another recipe for disaster, especially with full tanks on the rear of the plane.

Rune. It's often overlooked.

Not entirely sure about this... It did make it easier to take off, however now it seems to be worse. After putting the CoM and CoT as inline as they could be the plane now pitches up when above the prograde and pitches down when below prograde. The thing cant stay on the prograde marker.

Not entirely sure about this... It did make it easier to take off, however now it seems to be worse. After putting the CoM and CoT as inline as they could be the plane now pitches up when above the prograde and pitches down when below prograde. The thing cant stay on the prograde marker.

Will it fly without wings? Rip em off and lauch vertical and see what happens. Balance problem should be obvious then.

Although a CoL before the CoM is another recipe for disaster, especially with full tanks on the rear of the plane.

I hate to say this, but I told you so. You have an inherently unstable plane right there. CoL should be behind CoM at all times, so check what emptying the fuel tanks does to its position. More than one SSTO found that out the hard way when coming back to land...

Rune. So in other words: the pics you showed were wrong in every possible way. Sorry!

Preparing to release this:

whfsKii.png

At 479 parts, it's my lowest part-count Saturn V yet. I still haven't touched the LEM, which should yield even more part savings. My apologies to Kurotenshi for the timing. I've had this on the back burner since .25, and .90 has allowed me to make some incredible improvements to the design with the new gizmos.

Edited by GusTurbo

Thanks. I'm shooting for a balance between playability and detail. After a total redesign of my LEM, the whole system has 424 parts, which includes 4 launch clamps. I've completed the visuals, now I'm going for functionality.

qQzzJJD.png

4btfk1s.png

Old LEM for comparison:

ZwICsYx.png

My apologies to Kurotenshi for the timing

That's ok, let's just say great minds think alike or something like that :P

You're ahead of me though, as you already have the LEM. But then again, mine comes with a Saturn IB and Skylab, both of which are finished. Just down to the LEM and refining the Saturn V now.

Also, awesome job on the interstages, especially the spacecraft adapter (the top one). Small question though, what's the use of the double decoupler between the SII and SIV-B? If it's for a two step stage separation, that's unneccesary. The SIV-B interstage stated attached to the SII, even though it was constructed as part of the SIV-B

Thanks! The big 3.75m decouplers are only there for added length. They're placed at the top of the stage list so they don't get triggered by accident.

I think your version is more accurately scaled for diameter in the S-I and S-II stages. I made it narrower to get the stripes to look how I wanted.

Edited by GusTurbo

Here's the front fork teaser (warning part abuse not for feint hearted ^^):

I went this way because it's low on part and effective, but before that I also tried something with 2 symmetrical tubes like the real thing, KSP kept crashing for some reason and it wasn't neutral (it created some asymmetrical ghost forces) ...

Xga2ZAb.jpg

But hell it looked cool! ;.;

Edited by RevanCorana

Here's the front fork teaser (warning part abuse not for feint hearted ^^):

I went this way because it's low on part and effective, but before that I also tried something with 2 symmetrical tubes like the real thing, KSP kept crashing for some reason and it wasn't neutral (it created some asymmetrical ghost forces) ...

http://i.imgur.com/Xga2ZAb.jpg

But hell it looked cool! ;.;

It sure did. I see a problem though. This is for the front suspension right? I foresee that it will move minutely, if at all when used on the craft.

I see it takes a lot of thrust to move a little. There wont be enough weight on the bike for it to move.

Hey MJ,

I clipped 8 medium battery in the command pod with radial symmetry to add weight on the main body, but it really all depends on the speed you're at and if you go on jumps etc, the main purpose of the 2 wheeler is also to have this inherent instability that put the frame at works all the time, so even if suspension travel doesn't move very much it improves handling greatly.

Here's the early craft (87 parts) with the mod I recommend to use with included (Hullcam for parts that give 1st person view, and ImprovedChaseCam for chase view moving with speed vector).

It feels like being on a cloud above the road =)

at high speed too (up to the rover wheel speed tolerance), but it's not perfect, too early for that and not really the point anyway lol.

It needs infinite fuel cheat btw (i'll fix that).

https://www./?59pluoxhqumq0oo

1 Toggle Engine / 2 Rear Brake / 3 Front Brake

It's set up for joypad, so if you want use a keyboard, which is fine too, you need to click uninvert steering on all 3 front wheel to turn properly.

yC9AsZo.jpg

Pbe3OVb.jpg

2010-Honda-CRF450R-2.jpg
Edited by RevanCorana

Hey MJ,

I clipped 8 medium battery in the command pod with radial symmetry to add weight on the main body, but it really all depends on the speed you're at and if you go on jumps etc, the main purpose of the 2 wheeler is also to have this inherent instability that put the frame at works all the time, so even if suspension travel doesn't move very much it improves handling greatly.

Here's the early craft with the mod I recommend to use with included (Hullcam for parts that give 1st person view, and ImprovedChaseCam for chase view moving with speed vector).

It feels like being on a cloud above the road =)

at high speed too (up to the rover wheel speed tolerance), but it's not perfect, too early for that and not really the point anyway lol.

It needs infinite fuel cheat btw (i'll fix that).

https://www./?59pluoxhqumq0oo

1 Toggle Engine / 2 Rear Brake / 3 Front Brake

It's set up for joypad, so if you want use a keyboard, which is fine too, you need to click uninvert steering on all 3 front wheel to turn properly.

http://i.imgur.com/yC9AsZo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pbe3OVb.jpg

Frame inspiration

http://autobikegallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2010-Honda-CRF450R-2.jpg

Hi! Ok I see now, looks fun and could have some great design potential!

You should make the whole plane look like it's flying backwards, too, just to enhance the silliness ;)

So I'm just about wrapping up my new Station in a Tewb for 0.90:

thdNlXb.png?1

The whole thing is supposed to be able to fit within a 2-meter fairing and then "unpack" in orbit.

Hi all,

I've been trying to come up with a small stock bearing for a while and I have finally managed to stabilize it.

In the video you can see it set up as a turret demonstrator. Sorry to be a tease but the method is a secret at the moment unit I finish a craft using it.

I will say, I haven't seen any other bearings that are built like this.

It is really stable and can, as a turret pivot up and down for aiming. Have a look at the video below.

I will add that the ailerons are there simply to cover the mechanism. Its a bit smaller underneath.

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

I will add that the ailerons are there simply to cover the mechanism. Its a bit smaller underneath.

MJ

It's a secret, eh? Plot twist: The ailerons make a great bearing, you just need to make the ring a bit smaller.

Ok, I haven't actually tried it, but you still gave me the idea.