Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

The cargo bay is great! And a small bay is good for creativity, you can design something small and cute! I love the Ion (handwarmer?) table!

Yes!! Handwarmer exactly lol

Jeb had a moment of epiphany when he looked deeply into the void..

mHbHHTF.jpg

gc3XjNr.jpg

YWL4Tww.jpg

3u00Me7.jpg

And came up with more crazy concepts!

JDhm02X.jpg

B9jRln0.jpg

P4kiinx.jpg

Just to give some ideas ;)

Edited by RevanCorana

http://i.imgur.com/wR7oTFZ.png

Here is a design that I saw when perusing over the early space shuttle concepts.

http://i.imgur.com/LstjBX6.png

I liked it, so why not try to make it a reality?

http://i.imgur.com/WcwImSD.png

It has been quite a struggle, but nothing about the design is inherently more difficult than the real shuttle design, in fact in KSP, things are much easier with this design as there is no asymmetry. It has just been a lot of test flights and engine arrangement tweaking. As it stands it is one KS-25x4, two Mainsails, and two Skippers. Shown here with maximum weight loadout. Lighter Payloads can be accommodated for by reducing Main-tank configurations.

http://i.imgur.com/7bIBE4u.png

All that effort to lift an orange can to orbit. Maybe next time I'll stick with big rockets.

http://i.imgur.com/KEyRIHm.png

Still, it's nice to bring all those expensive engines (and kerbals) back to a soft landing on a runway. The orbiter is having stability problems right now. The game seems like it doesn't know what to do with those heavy rocket engines actually flying back, as my Center of Lift and Center of Mass icons in the SPH do not match test results.

I'll figure it out. I just wanted to share now; getting that -64 to orbit was quite difficult with the constraints of this design!

The X33 was a great concept, but poor execution and program management. Love the mod, are you releasing it?? Thanks, WMC

Yes!! Handwarmer exactly lol

Just to give some ideas ;)

More awesome original designs! The Minmus night shot is great. It could be from a sci-fi movie!

I cannot get my STS to launch or glide properly :(

Any one care to take a look and see if they can fix these two problems? I do use a lot of part clipping though.

FeceCbs.jpg?1

I've already put too much time into this thing, and I'm considering trying to switch to a Buran style launch, and hopefully fix one of the problems. Not sure if I can do anything about the gliding without redoing the wingshape x(

I cannot get my STS to launch or glide properly :(

Any one care to take a look and see if they can fix these two problems? I do use a lot of part clipping though.

http://i.imgur.com/FeceCbs.jpg?1

I've already put too much time into this thing, and I'm considering trying to switch to a Buran style launch, and hopefully fix one of the problems. Not sure if I can do anything about the gliding without redoing the wingshape x(

Double up on your wings by sandwiching them together. See Westi29's shuttle for ideas.

Double up on your wings by sandwiching them together. See Westi29's shuttle for ideas.

It's a shuttle, it's not supposed to be a near infini-glider. I'm okay with it flying more like a brick than a plane, the problem is that it's aerodynamically unstable, while the indicators in the VAB are theoretically as good as I can get them.

The launch is actually a bigger problem, the gliding can come later, I'd like this thing to make it to space first. The boosters get overpowering as their TWR rises and they begin causing more and more torque. I'd like to avoid methods like putting engines on the tank to push it in line (wasting fuel) or using RCS (which now helps to only delay the problem somewhat)

It's a shuttle, it's not supposed to be a near infini-glider. I'm okay with it flying more like a brick than a plane, the problem is that it's aerodynamically unstable, while the indicators in the VAB are theoretically as good as I can get them.

The launch is actually a bigger problem, the gliding can come later, I'd like this thing to make it to space first. The boosters get overpowering as their TWR rises and they begin causing more and more torque. I'd like to avoid methods like putting engines on the tank to push it in line (wasting fuel) or using RCS (which now helps to only delay the problem somewhat)

Ok, regarding the CoM/CoL indicators: you have angled wings somewhere, right? That is why the SPH indicators lie. Try grabbing the shuttle and tilting it up so it is "with an angle of attack". That will give positive lift to all surfaces and show you the true situation in flight-like conditions.

And with respect to the SRBs overpowering your control methods, I'd suggest throttling some up and others down so they run out at different times. That way the thrust at the end of the burn will be roughly half what you are seeing now, and the higher thrust will happen with a lot of solid fuel still in there weighing them down. It's what I did in mine! If you don't have enough control over your thrust profile then, add more SRBs so you can empty them and can play around with the thrust profile further. To give you some numbers, I think the SRBs in my replica are throttled in pairs to 75% and 55% thrust, meaning the second half burns fuel 20% slower and thus last much longer than the others.

Rune. Say no to STS replicas that glide well! Unrealistic! :P

Ok, regarding the CoM/CoL indicators: you have angled wings somewhere, right? That is why the SPH indicators lie. Try grabbing the shuttle and tilting it up so it is "with an angle of attack". That will give positive lift to all surfaces and show you the true situation in flight-like conditions.

And with respect to the SRBs overpowering your control methods, I'd suggest throttling some up and others down so they run out at different times. That way the thrust at the end of the burn will be roughly half what you are seeing now, and the higher thrust will happen with a lot of solid fuel still in there weighing them down. It's what I did in mine! If you don't have enough control over your thrust profile then, add more SRBs so you can empty them and can play around with the thrust profile further. To give you some numbers, I think the SRBs in my replica are throttled in pairs to 75% and 55% thrust, meaning the second half burns fuel 20% slower and thus last much longer than the others.

Rune. Say no to STS replicas that glide well! Unrealistic! :P

Thanks a bunch, I'll try that out with the SRBs. I had indeed angled the wings, and already thought that might have been the problem. Is it also a problem if the CoL is directly under the CoM? As in, the up arrow is pointing smack trough the CoM, but the CoL is about a meter underneath it.

Thanks a bunch, I'll try that out with the SRBs. I had indeed angled the wings, and already thought that might have been the problem. Is it also a problem if the CoL is directly under the CoM? As in, the up arrow is pointing smack trough the CoM, but the CoL is about a meter underneath it.

That's going to mean it's going to like flying upside down. See, imagine the shuttle in flight. The velocity vector is about 30º under it, so that means the CoL is actually in front of the CoM slightly, regarding airflow. Just like if you angles the ship 30º up in the SPH. I'd suggest moving it very slightly backwards, so it sits below the CoM only with high angles of attack. And then, don't exceed those, because it will flip and go into a spin until you stabilize it upside down in a steep dive. In general, you put the CoL as far back as you can while still having control authority, and that ends up more stable and safe.

Rune. The pendulum fallacy is no such a thing in airplanes.

- - - Updated - - -

In other order of things, I'm getting there...

Suk2v6c.png

Rune. Almost!

Edited by Rune

Been trying to build a realistic Mars lander for a payload of about 25 tonnes, so no magical parachutes allowed.

It's turning out to be kind of difficult. Even with two of these gigantic 17 meter heatshields I can't get subsonic before I smash into the ground. Because of this I can't get the 1:1 mass ration between the lander and the payload that I wanted. Trying to get the weight down bellow 60 tonnes, cuz then the whole thing can be thrown to Mars with two SLS launches.

MarsHeavyLander0.jpg

MarsHeavyLander2.jpg

Just finished my new space fighter (with interior!):

Looks a bit like the herald from SC, and it's asymetrical, interesting. Can you share the craft file?

I was trying to make a replica of the x85 runabout:

xu5I68h.jpg

YaHVQdc.jpg

pSFcKvb.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

Looks a bit like the herald from SC, and it's asymetrical, interesting. Can you share the craft file?

You're right - I was inspired by Herald very much. I can't play SC, unfortunately, so I decided to make my own SC in KSP :D

Here's a DL for you - >>click!<<

Your X85 looks cool!

Been trying to build a realistic Mars lander for a payload of about 25 tonnes, so no magical parachutes allowed.

It's turning out to be kind of difficult. Even with two of these gigantic 17 meter heatshields I can't get subsonic before I smash into the ground. Because of this I can't get the 1:1 mass ration between the lander and the payload that I wanted. Trying to get the weight down bellow 60 tonnes, cuz then the whole thing can be thrown to Mars with two SLS launches.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/MarsHeavyLander0.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/MarsHeavyLander2.jpg

http://youtu.be/6K_Ut1xUeiE

Looks interesting.. Can you show its launcher?

Ok I need some help on this.

fpY5Yii.jpg

HYP8JJs.jpg

Once the plane's pitch goes below the prograde marker, it will immediately pitch down uncontrollably. No flips or spins, just a lawn-dart. Meanwhile, keeping it pitched up will allow it to fly perfectly, no issues there. I've tried putting canards on the front, in the back, etc. but it refuses to even change it's flight characteristics. Putting that lift indicator in the front or back or on top (as in the pics) of the CoM also has no effect.