Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Working on the 4th iteration of my mothership series. This is the first one to use internal cargo bays for smaller cargo.

Having fuel flow problems though that I can't seem to solve. :/ It drains half the fuel on one side and all of it on the other side. The other half of the fuel on the first side just won't drain despite it being a straight row of fuel tanks. :/

http://i.imgur.com/SJFQgGt.png

That's a part parent bug (midway through that chain of tanks, one of them think it's attached to something else instead of the previous one on the chain). Find the bugged connection, detach, and reattach making sure the highlighted part as you drop the rest of the ship is the one you want to connect it to.

Rune. I think. If not, I could take a look at the file and see if I can fix it if you want? But you will learn a lot about the game if you learn how to fix this.

That's a part parent bug (midway through that chain of tanks, one of them think it's attached to something else instead of the previous one on the chain). Find the bugged connection, detach, and reattach making sure the highlighted part as you drop the rest of the ship is the one you want to connect it to.

Rune. I think. If not, I could take a look at the file and see if I can fix it if you want? But you will learn a lot about the game if you learn how to fix this.

Thanks. :) I'll try that to see if it works. I've never encountered that bug before. There are docking ports on the same connections to maybe it thinks its going to one of them?

I like the way you did the cockpit. Kinda reminds me of...

*sigh*

Macey Dean. :(

I only got to see that last in the series before he disappeared. :(

The Cockpit is actually taken off one of my earlier ships the Co-8. Very outdated now though.

It was also a military ship so useless for everything else in KSP.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rune. :) I just needed to place the left and right fuel tanks again and it works perfectly.

Thanks Rune. :) I just needed to place the left and right fuel tanks again and it works perfectly.

Glad to be of help! It's one of those bugs that only happen on complicated builds, but that has been popping out, like, forever. And it came up twice today on the Exchange! Exo was also having issues with it. I'm thinking about documenting it properly and telling squad about it... it's one of those that definitely need squashing before the "beta that they want to call release" is out. Anyone knows if it is reported already? Parts picking weird parents and connection nodes disappearing magically when you detach parts form them and such.

Rune. Is it too obvious I'm one of the guys that think KSP is not ready for release, mostly due to technical issues? :rolleyes:

Rune. Is it too obvious I'm one of the guys that think KSP is not ready for release, mostly due to technical issues? :rolleyes:

Don't worry I'm with you there! Content wise its getting there but there are just way too many bugs still around. that decoupler one being the worst imo.

Trying out a launcher. Getting it angled around the wings was interesting... Worked well though. :)

Next will be attaching as much cargo as possible and sending it to the Mun. Want to go to Duna but don't want to timewarp that far ahead for the launch window.

4x1RCCE.png

Ajei3uD.png

Wow, cool! Part count? The N1 has always given me issues because it seems to demand an incredibly high part count, which my poor laptop doesn't like.

Hopefully will have time to release the KT-3A tomorrow. Its hauling capacity is insane! This is using less than a 6th of its theoretical capacity to the Mun with provision to return!

The base on the front is made by Rune. :)

rayGqB1.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart

Hopefully will have time to release the KT-3A tomorrow. Its hauling capacity is insane! This is using less than a 6th of its theoretical capacity to the Mun with provision to return!

The base on the front is made by Rune. :)

http://i.imgur.com/rayGqB1.png

Double-duty it as a fuel tanker then! ;) I am very interested to see how you land the modules with those rocket cranes. Do you intend to put them under the modules in their ventral ports? Because then I don't see how you get them out afterwards. Or do you plan on landing them like a proper skycrane? They would end up mostly upside down (except the Hab, that has a docking port on top), but I think on Mun you could do some creative pushing with the rover to turn them over at least 90º to where the legs can put them upright. Quicksave before trying is all I'm saying... ;)

Rune. You are lucky Mun has low gravity!

Seems like its been a year since my last post on the WIP thread. So i've built an eve rock for the "Eve Rocks" challenge. Moar boo... ah... info in my signature (click on the badge)

Ribfrid Kerman did the Jebediah level of this challenge, maybe he will one day replace bill or bob.

Wow, cool! Part count? The N1 has always given me issues because it seems to demand an incredibly high part count, which my poor laptop doesn't like.
Passed the 600 part "milestone". But my computer seems fine with it, if not a little laggy.

Edit: Now has 899 parts (ouch) but mostly finished.

screenshot14490_zpscban4gqq.png

Edited by Yukon0009

Double-duty it as a fuel tanker then! ;) I am very interested to see how you land the modules with those rocket cranes. Do you intend to put them under the modules in their ventral ports? Because then I don't see how you get them out afterwards. Or do you plan on landing them like a proper skycrane? They would end up mostly upside down (except the Hab, that has a docking port on top), but I think on Mun you could do some creative pushing with the rover to turn them over at least 90º to where the legs can put them upright. Quicksave before trying is all I'm saying... ;)

Rune. You are lucky Mun has low gravity!

I was planning on placing the rocket cranes on the side an when I've landed it roll it over. I admit this wasn't thought through...

My main worry is that the cranes arms aren't wide enough to go around the 2.5m payload...

I was planning on placing the rocket cranes on the side an when I've landed it roll it over. I admit this wasn't thought through...

My main worry is that the cranes arms aren't wide enough to go around the 2.5m payload...

Well, I'm telling yoU right now, don't. The side ports aren't lined up with the CoM of the payloads!! Land them by the ventral docks instead, with the crane under them (because I also don't think you have the clearance, but who knows, you may try, and with the Hab it should even work maybe). Then you can short of soft-crash them on the side, or land them and tip them over. With the reaction wheels the cranes would be able to right themselves and move out of the way, and from a sideways position the legs should be able to roll the modules upright on Mun's low gravity. In any case, leave the big modules with little reaction wheel power for last!

Rune. And quicksave. A lot. But the worst that could happen is that you need to send an Eagle to deploy the base ;)

I guess my Base Pack has gone back to the "Work in progress" category, what with all the comments and new ideas. This (or more accurately, the version with nuclear transfer stage I'm working on) should be able to put the whole pack anywhere but Tylo in one shot, as Majorjim made me do with his slight misunderstanding. The problem is now the thrust is in the "needs further structural testing" class. A whooping 270 parts on the pad.

bhWLMYa.png

Rune. What can I say, I'm easily challenged. :rolleyes: