HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Huh... I'm running into the good ol' 6km bug with RealChutes when sporting your chutes all of the sudden...

You sure the configs are working with the latest version (that being 1.2.3)?

Edit: The Soy-Juice is firing its' animation in VAB again...

Edited by BananaDealer

Hey Orion, how have things been? Seems like we haven't heard from you in a while!

Things are ok, I was away at Comic Con and I've been kinda busy since I got back. Still might be a little before I can work on the mod proper again, but I'll get back to it when I can.

Things are ok, I was away at Comic Con and I've been kinda busy since I got back. Still might be a little before I can work on the mod proper again, but I'll get back to it when I can.

Cool, man! There's no rush, so take all the time you need.

Huh... I'm running into the good ol' 6km bug with RealChutes when sporting your chutes all of the sudden...

You sure the configs are working with the latest version (that being 1.2.3)?

Edit: The Soy-Juice is firing its' animation in VAB again...

did you ever find a fix for the real chutes issue? I'm getting the same thing.

Dude, i'd follow you all the way man! :o

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually thinking about making a Cessna 180 family mod. Of course, ill have to have someone help me with IVAs and Firespitter scripting.

Dude, i'd follow you all the way man! :o

Nothing new to report, but for this new creation I came up with for 0.24, based on a limited tree unlock

Other than giving KER/Mechjeb fits on dV calculations, it flies quite nicely. (If a little cramped inside.)

The KW Rocketry SPS was changed to burn monopropellant in the latest version but you've still got LfO tanks. That might be causing some of your dV calculation problems :)

The KW Rocketry SPS was changed to burn monopropellant in the latest version but you've still got LfO tanks. That might be causing some of your dV calculation problems :)

Indeed, but the tanks above that stage are monoprop, and work well. The dV calcs don't take into account any tanks attached above the edamame module for some reason. I'm still experimenting, but I haven't the chance to pin it down yet.

I think the KW Rocketry 5m parts fits with stock parts.

HAH! HAH! That's an extremely funny joke. They're not even remotely stockalike! THAT'S WHY THE JOKE IS SO FUNNY! :D.

Seriously though, they have dark green on them for crying out loud. If you have to make a texture pack for the stock parts to look good with them (you do have to do this), then KW is NOT stockalike.

They are a completely different artstyle.

They are a completely different artstyle.

That they are. The only KW parts I use are the fairings and decouplers, thats all.

I know you found it Gregox ^^ but if others need stock-like 5m parts, check the SXT pack, it contains everything for a Saturn V equivalent and much more, keeping it very modular (and very memory-saving)

It even have N-1 parts that fits very well with the soy-juice!

lGOl53m.png

Add RemoteTech 2 to the Lima and antenna on the solar panels. I halved the power consumption for the antenna as it's assumed solar panels are used in pairs. :wink:

@PART[Lima]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive
TechRequired = unmannedTech
OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}
@PART[HGRSolarPanels1]
{
!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
allowManualControl = false
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
Mode0OmniRange = 0
Mode1OmniRange = 1500000
MaxQ = 6000
EnergyCost = 0.06

DeployFxModules = 1

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 12.0
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPUPassive
}
}

• 3 weeks later...

HI everyone, I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I'm still around. I've been really busy IRL and on a bit of a hiatus, but I don't want anyone to worry that the mod is being abandoned or anything like that. I'm going to be trying to ease myself back in to working on the mod again, unfortunately I still don't have a lot of free time atm so my work will be slow.

The first thing I want to work on is updating the BDanimation plug-in and fixing realchute support. After that I'm considering remaking the fuel tanks. At the moment the extrude in a lot making their diameter feel a lot smaller. Their textures are also really inefficient and could use some updating. I'm thinking of moving them to a style more like the new NASA parts, (I get the feeling the game's art is going to go this way eventually anyway) but keeping my Russian/Chinese themes.

In any case, we'll see how things go, Thanks everyone! :)

@somnambulist: Do you mind if I use that cfg file when I update the mod next? I got to use it before I left and it seemed to be working well. I'll credit you of course.

HI everyone, I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I'm still around. I've been really busy IRL and on a bit of a hiatus, but I don't want anyone to worry that the mod is being abandoned or anything like that. I'm going to be trying to ease myself back in to working on the mod again, unfortunately I still don't have a lot of free time atm so my work will be slow.

The first thing I want to work on is updating the BDanimation plug-in and fixing realchute support. After that I'm considering remaking the fuel tanks. At the moment the extrude in a lot making their diameter feel a lot smaller. Their textures are also really inefficient and could use some updating. I'm thinking of moving them to a style more like the new NASA parts, (I get the feeling the game's art is going to go this way eventually anyway) but keeping my Russian/Chinese themes.

In any case, we'll see how things go, Thanks everyone! :)

@somnambulist: Do you mind if I use that cfg file when I update the mod next? I got to use it before I left and it seemed to be working well. I'll credit you of course.

If you can make a version that acts like STX and recycles the stock textures you'd be my hero I actually had to cut out most of this mod to save ram recently (I'm just running the inline chutes and the spud at the moment) also am I the only one that misses the radishes automatic size adjusting fairing? I dunno It could be I'm just wary that the only parts that fits flush to it have a built in decouplers and I'm afraid I'll stage it if I try to use the pod for things other than gemini reenactments.

Knock yourself out -- it's the very least I could do to thank you for the awesome parts!

Glad to see you're back. Lately I've been playing a 6.4x RSS carrier mode and keep running into the same issue with HGR. I love the engines and tanks, but I find myself never using the command pods. The problem is that they are too spread out in the tech tree. Getting the whole launch package together requires too many nodes. The fairings are useless without the LES. So having them in separate nodes is just frustrating.

Also, the long tanks should appear earlier. I know that Squad spaces out the tank sizes in stock, but imho that's not how the technology works (insert rant about Squad's tutorial approach to progression). The piping required to pull from multiple tanks is far more complex than just building one big tank. With HRG I find myself stacking 5+ small tanks and I cannot be the only one. The long and medium sized tanks should appear alongside the first engine. I do make these changes myself, but I think it would benefit others.

Other than that, all the parts are great and fill the void between 1.25 and 2.50 perfectly.

Glad to see you're back. Lately I've been playing a 6.4x RSS carrier mode and keep running into the same issue with HGR. I love the engines and tanks, but I find myself never using the command pods. The problem is that they are too spread out in the tech tree. Getting the whole launch package together requires too many nodes. The fairings are useless without the LES. So having them in separate nodes is just frustrating.

Also, the long tanks should appear earlier. I know that Squad spaces out the tank sizes in stock, but imho that's not how the technology works (insert rant about Squad's tutorial approach to progression). The piping required to pull from multiple tanks is far more complex than just building one big tank. With HRG I find myself stacking 5+ small tanks and I cannot be the only one. The long and medium sized tanks should appear alongside the first engine. I do make these changes myself, but I think it would benefit others.

Other than that, all the parts are great and fill the void between 1.25 and 2.50 perfectly.

I don't know; whilst I agree with you on the one hand, I'm not sure how much 'piping' is involved in these kerbalized tanks. They appear to be bolted together in fact. (i.e., it may be that the kerbals are just crazy.)

You've been enjoying 6.4x as well, ? The 1.875 fits in perfectly there, I find. (Although i'm capping out at about 12k dV with them, but that's a design fault i'm sure.) I'm almost there in the tree, i'm looking to get the heat shields adjusted for 6.4x, to avoid crisping any critters more than is necessary.The spud and radish make it down from LKO out of the box, but a higher speed reentry gets a little(a lot) dicy so far. If I get them tuned in, i'll be sure to bring them by to share with the rest of the class, though!

I agree that things need to be consolidated on the tech tree, especially the soy-juice parts. Not 100% sure on how the fuel tanks will be arranged, it will require testing.

Does anyone still hate the RT2 config that Hades made? The link in the OP is broken.

The one that hades made is broken, but somnambulist made one on the previous page. Link to post.

Orionkermin: I wonder if you might be willing to make "tankbuttless" versions of your engines?

Here's an example of the LV-T45 (and a larger-area-ratio-nozzle LV-T45) from Lack:

Ty0Ha8kl.jpg

The advantage is they will work on any size stage and can be clustered much more easily. Seems especially useful given they already aren't one of the stock diameters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.