[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Not really sure what an interplanetary cockpit is. The other sounds a bit too sci-fi for my tastes. I'm not interested in interplanetary stuff to be honest with you. Folks have been using the Phase II stuff to make their interplanetary spacecraft just fine. Don't know why you'd need something that specifically said "Interplanetary" don't know what the difference would be.

Not a single person in this thread has given me one good reason why the KSO should have been 2.5m cargo bay rated, aside from "just because". Back at Phase 1 an argument could have been made that the Habitat module or the science lab didn't fit in the cargo bay, however that is not true anymore. Therefore as of Phase II there is no reason the KSO should be 2.5m And it matches stock sizes just fine. Unless you mean the 2.5 components, are all the components in the VAB 2.5m? Going to double check.

And for the 2.5m components you have the EWBCL which is coming next. That's as far as I'm taking it. I don't have anything written up for the moon lander and rover, but they will be 1.8m fitted to the KSO (not the EWBCL). The EWBCL is really made to cover some of the community mods that are 2.5 meters in size and the rest of the default 2.5 meter components. After the EWBCL, all other phases of my project will continue to target the KSO.

Making cockpits takes a long time. That's because of all the text and then you have to plan it in a way to all fit in a single 2048x2048 texture. But the biggest issue is whether Nazari can make something work or not plus we're limited as to how many resources we can do based on the terrible default memory management of KSP (a huge thank you to rbray and the Active Texture Management mod). In fact you will have to have ATM to even be able to continue with the latest phases of this project after the EWBCL.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and compliments, but I shall utter the famous words "I don't do requests". :D

The idea of using the KSO stock parts to mate to a 2.5m system for an interplanetary ship stationed at the KSS. Attached is the picture of one such craft. Just don't fly through micro-meteoroids, eh? There is another option through the B9 system, but not updated to 0.23 (I think).

Just a thought...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3SralXpoH0SsMLxs-tPvIclOSwnVfB_97MdhtNmx6-edMGhSd

The idea of using the KSO stock parts to mate to a 2.5m system for an interplanetary ship stationed at the KSS. Attached is the picture of one such craft. Just don't fly through micro-meteoroids, eh? There is another option through the B9 system, but not updated to 0.23 (I think).

Just a thought...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3SralXpoH0SsMLxs-tPvIclOSwnVfB_97MdhtNmx6-edMGhSd

Huh, well, now I know where the maker of the Deep Space Mission pack got the inspiration for his/her designs. :) I'd forgotten what the ship looked like in that movie. So, Meridious, or anyone who wants a ship that looks like the picture, just go find the DSM mod on Spaceport. :D

While I'm happy to see wherever helldiver goes, I think the reasoning behind the just-because 2.5m thing is because the entirety of KSP is "just because".

If you do it? Awesome. You don't? No less awesome.

I'm still of the opinion that the shuttle is best for crew transfers and nothing else. Landing is fun, but it takes way too long compared to a tiny upper stage that can just be thrown back into the atmosphere and forgotten. Those have become even more useful with inclined space stations where I have to wait for KSC to line up for reentry and that costs me a perfect opportunity to launch more modules.

Doing in four launches what would have taken eight with the shuttle alone just makes better use of time.

Well, if we're going to extremes, I'm of the opinion there's really no purpose for manned flights of any nature, other than hubris... both in KSP and real life. Automated/remote probes can pretty much do everything a manned crew can (again, both in KSP and real life), at a fraction of the cost and with practically zero risk.

But where's the fun in that? :P

Well, if we're going to extremes, I'm of the opinion there's really no purpose for manned flights of any nature, other than hubris... both in KSP and real life. Automated/remote probes can pretty much do everything a manned crew can (again, both in KSP and real life), at a fraction of the cost and with practically zero risk.

The more moving parts you have the more likely something will break. Humans are fairly cheap. Just pay them minimum wage when you train them and take out a life insurance policy on them. Kerbals are even cheaper.

I have a very large interplanetary ring welded part (7.5m). So I modified it to accommodate the KSO and tested it out with a trip to the Mun.

I think I'll weld up a smaller one to fit the KSO better in the future. I look forward to the EWBCL.

http://imgur.com/a/TJ8kp

Nice!

What structural panels are you using for the ring?

Manned spaceflight is fine. It's spaceflight that depends on wings that eats up time. Parachutes and rockets are nice and easy when you want to get stuff done fast.

...I'm super excited about it, just kind of sad that it'll replace everyone's KSO pretty much. :( ...

Not mine! I've been having a blast integrating the KSO and phase II components into my game. There's no question I'll still be using it even after the big one is available.

I have a very large interplanetary ring welded part (7.5m). So I modified it to accommodate the KSO and tested it out with a trip to the Mun.

I think I'll weld up a smaller one to fit the KSO better in the future. I look forward to the EWBCL.

This is EPIC! Awesome!

I'm super excited about it, just kind of sad that it'll replace everyone's KSO pretty much. :(

I think that my space program will work this way: Cargo goes aboard EWCBL, Light Cargo goes aboard KSO, according to weight. If I need to carry up LOTS of crew there will be an EWCBL with habitats aboard, and there will be a KSO with a habitat aboard.

Are you still able to carry a usable payload with this ring?

Question :

I use KSOS208.

if my observations Module shields are closed, i have energy-output!

is that a bug ?

Is your KSO docked to your station or observation module? The cargo bay has an always active generator.

I don't know if hell diver needs to make a command pod, but an adapter that goes from KSO hex truss to the 3 seat command pod would be great, you could use the pod by itself or with the sdhi parts, or any stock parts that size and have them fit in with the KSO station parts.

Size comparison

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is a work in progress

-It is not textured at all. The black and grey you see are element guides.

-Many parts you see will be redesigned before it is considered "mastered".

-Red circle is roughly 2.55 meters (2.6 in VAB). It is the exact same disk you get when you use the KSO Decoupler Shroud. So if you want to measure it in game, grab this part and put it on stuff and you will have a very good idea of the size of the EWBCL's cargo bay.

-Note space between red disk and cargo bay walls.

-White rectangle on top of cockpit is the "mundoor". This opens up to reveal a Standard Dockping Port node location (designed for KSOS Phase II Standard Docking Port).

-RCS Nozzles are hybrid KSO/NASA Space Shuttle. Part of the RCS system will be on pods built into the V-tail

Size comparison

http://imgur.com/a/bdO6o

-Red circle is roughly 2.55 meters (2.6 in VAB). It is the exact same disk you get when you use the KSO Decoupler Shroud. So if you want to measure it in game, grab this part and put it on stuff and you will have a very good idea of the size of the EWBCL's cargo bay.

-White rectangle on top of cockpit is the "mundoor". This opens up to reveal a Standard Dockping Port node location (designed for KSOS Phase II Standard Docking Port).

-RCS Nozzles are hybrid KSO/NASA Space Shuttle. Part of the RCS system will be on pods built into the V-tail

VERY NICE!!! Now I have to clean the drool off of my desk. :)

Size comparison

This looks amazing. Keep up the amazing work.

Size comparison

Looks awesome!

Question:

Is it going to use the same launch system as the current KSO or will it be getting it's own?