Do you SAS your Aircraft?

katateochi

When you build aircraft, do you put reaction wheels in them?

I don't play with FAR, but I'm interested to hear from both FAR and non-FAR (close?) players.

I do, actually quite a few in large or very fast aircraft. Generally its about 1 reaction wheel per jet engine but on some of my really big SSTOs I've used more.

I find it helps in a number of ways;

- Reducing the impact of flame-out spins, or at least enabling faster correction if you spin out of control.

- It helps compensate for a shift in COM in large aircraft as the fuel is used or when carrying different payloads. This has helped quite a lot with keeping large SSTO's steady during re-entry to the lower atmo and stopping them from tumbling.

- On very high speed craft I've found it helps with maneuverability and just keeping them steady. This is with craft that are so fast (200ms+ at sea level) that large control surfaces cause them to vibrate and judder, with a couple of reaction wheels I can use small control surfaces (and get rid of juddering) and still have control.

But I do feel this is perhaps not strictly plane! I mean real aircraft don't have gyroscopes do they?

What do you think?

i use it a lot because i play with a keyboard and the sas make softer correction to the flap and stuff.

It's less mess and less imput control from me witch lead to a better flight.

I just speak of rocket and space shuttle.

Under FAR and with plane, SAS is bad ( i'm new to FAR) it tends to wooble like hell !

I find the extra reaction torque to be useful in FAR. Particularly in the upper atmo where control surfaces are less effective.

In FAR I've also found procedural wings/control surfaces to be much more stable under SAS control than stock or B9 wings. They don't flap as much, and I can fine tune them for even better stability.

I usually put a reaction wheel on my spaceplanes, to save on RCS propellant and help with stability in the upper atmosphere when the air's too thin to let the flaps bite in properly.

I very rarely put a reaction wheel on my low-altitude aircraft, though; aerodynamics tend to be enough down in the soup.

I always fly with SAS enabled, however. I'm not a terrible pilot, but I'm not quite good enough an engineer to build a good bird that's both maneuverable and dynamically stable without some fly-by-wire assistance.

-- Steve

Reaction wheels? No. I also disable them on aircraft cockpits while in the atmosphere. If I don't have enough control authority without them I consider the aircraft design to be fundamentally flawed.

SAS? Yes, I use SAS while flying aircraft, but without the overly strong (and borderline cheatingly so) reaction wheels it can only use thrust vectoring and the control surfaces to maintain a heading.

I use FAR.

Generally, I find it a bad idea to actually engage the SAS system in the atmosphere, since it tends to freak out a lot. For SSTO's however, its very useful once you leave the atmosphere. You just have to balance your craft well so that you don't need the sas switched on. Joystick helps a lot.

Below a certain altitude in FAR, I find SAS to conflict with the control surfaces in an unwanted harmonic fashion which makes the plane flap itself to pieces. Once I get into the thinner air around 15-20 kilometers, however, it does come in very handy.

Yep, I add SAS modules to all of my aircraft. I will admit that I started the practice before I realized that the command pods had their own reaction wheels, but I've continued to use them.

I use them to strongarm my aircraft into behaving. Heck, I put like 5 of them on my Stock-game VTOL to make landing even remotely feasible after traveling at speed.

Also, I started the practice before I loaded up FAR. I haven't spent a LOT of time with aircraft in FAR, but I think I'll be sticking with it. The few that I have made in FAR shake like crazy, and the SAS modules somewhat mitigates the problem.

I add them as needed and fly with SAS when needed. There is no real rule. But for example space- and aircraft with VTOL abilities usually get more SAS power. Basically it's a question of the aircrafts total weight and role. Yet i always create my airplanes with CoG sitting right in the geometric center of the tank configuration, so that the aircraft is flyable without SAS throughout it's whole mission if needed. When i fly just for fun a little bit around i usually fly without SAS. When i launch a spaceplane to go into orbit at least the heavy ones (around 14t/rapier) i use SAS during ascend and go do other stuff.

I used to use SAS to smooth out the response to controls. It was like a fly-by-wire system that prevented jerkiness. However, since they revised SAS a few versions back, I can not abide the way SAS turns completely off every time you make the tiniest control input, causing the plane to lurch violently. I REALLY wish they would re-include the old avionics nosecone, which made planes a breeze to fly.

I used to use SAS to smooth out the response to controls. It was like a fly-by-wire system that prevented jerkiness. However, since they revised SAS a few versions back, I can not abide the way SAS turns completely off every time you make the tiniest control input, causing the plane to lurch violently. I REALLY wish they would re-include the old avionics nosecone, which made planes a breeze to fly.

I believe that they still have the old SAS module included in the game, you just need to edit the config file for the avionics nosecone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.