Do you land on The Mun or do you land on Mun?

SiliconPyro

Do you land on The Mun or do you land on Mun?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you land on The Mun or do you land on Mun?

• I land on The Mun.
    • I land on Mun.
    • I use them interchangeably.
    • I just crash into things.

I voted the second one. I also use "I land on the moon", it's a moon after all so it is technically correct.

Well, it isn't THE moon, it's A moon. But if you've been playing long enough, you remember when it was all we had to cra . . . land on.

My headcanon is that "mun" and "Mun" mean the same to kerbals as "moon" and "Moon" mean to us, respectively. They call Laythe, Vall, Tylo, etc. the Joolian muns; Ike is the mun of Duna; and so on. But anytime they refer to "the Mun" it is understood they are talking about the larger mun of Kerbin. Just my $0.02.

My headcanon is that "mun" and "Mun" mean the same to kerbals as "moon" and "Moon" mean to us, respectively. They call Laythe, Vall, Tylo, etc. the Joolian muns; Ike is the mun of Duna; and so on. But anytime they refer to "the Mun" it is understood they are talking about the larger mun of Kerbin. Just my $0.02.

That's an interesting perspective.

I voted the second one. I also use "I land on the moon", it's a moon after all so it is technically correct.

Actually, it's a natural satellite. Earth's satellite is called the Moon. It's a common misconception that satellites are 'moons'. There is only one Moon, as there is only one Earth, as there is only one Europa, etc.

It's just socially accepted that all satellite's are called 'moons' now.

I voted for "The Mun" but in reality I use "the Mun". The capital T makes a difference. I think of it in terms of Earth analogs. We call it "the moon", and sometimes we call it "the Moon". And so therfore, I use the same. That would technically mean that we are supposed to call Laythe and Bop "muns" of Jool, but I still use the word "moons" to describe other satellite bodies.

I crash.

But, since it's what you're really asking - I land on A moon/satellite of Kerbin which might be called 'Mun' or 'Minmus'. In real life no-one talks about the Mars. Mind you, the only way I can think of referring to Kerbin's satellites together is 'lunar' which is almost certainly wrong (comes from the Latin). In the same way I think of 'Kerbol's solar system - the first only started in these wiki/forums and the second refers to our, real life, star 'Sol'.

Any actual astronomers out there?

Earth's satellite is called the Moon..

Nope, except by lazy americans in nasa.

The moon that orbits Earth is called Luna.

Calling it "The moon" is acceptable, if a bit bigoted, as it is the only naked-eye-visible moon we have.

Calling it "The Moon" or "Moon" is incorrect. Moon is not its name, its a descriptive.

Even nasa is inconsistent with their naming.. They refer to Luna as "Moon", yet when talking of building a lander for it, they call it a "Lunar" lander not a "Moonar" lander.

You might as well try to call our sun "Sun" instead of its name which is "Sol"!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.