[1.0.2]FASA Launch Towers

frizzank

I've been having some issues with procedural fairings and the large launch tower. It seems to work fine with everything else (I think...) but the large one causes the fairings to balloon out and surround the towers. This was with the interstage fairings.

I've been having some issues with procedural fairings and the large launch tower. It seems to work fine with everything else (I think...) but the large one causes the fairings to balloon out and surround the towers. This was with the interstage fairings.

There's a function to lock fairing shape. Just lock the fairing shape, then attach the tower.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not that, the sea sickness cure made it so kerbals in the water would be counted as landed so they can walk on objects in the water. That was also fixed in the latest KSP update so it is now completely unnecessary.

They are landed but the tower is not 100% ridged so it vibrates some on really tall towers with little support. Add more clamps or put some struts between the walkway and your rocket.

I thought this was added stock in .22 or .23? Either way after doing some tests it looks like the problem is having the launch tower too close to the center of the launch pad. In the VAB if you move the craft so that the launch tower is near or outside the large circle painted on the floor then it works fine, but placing it too close to the center will give the bug. As for other markings, if the launch tower base is touching the grate of the launch pad I get this bug, but outside the white painted square encompassing the grate seems to work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I love how much more immersive this makes my launches.

Any plans for a 3.75m stack clamp that would work with the new ARM parts? I know it's not historical, but I'd love to have something like that.

Edited by HeadHunter67

I thought about the Saturn clamps, but those would be 5m. I would love something I could use with the SLS parts, but I'm not a modder in the least. I'm sure the tutorial is pretty straightforward for someone who already knows what they are doing. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I tried some launch clamps today, they're great.

@frizzank: do you think it would be possible to add an option, as a LaunchClamp plug-in child class maybe, to automatically clean them upon launch (perhaps when distance become greater than 2.5 kms or a given value) ?

I don't see why the clamps remains even if distance > 2.5 kms and they're annoying things we have to clean-up manually when using kerbtown launch site.

My FASA launch pads spawn into the ground when I use the extra planetary launch pads mod. Any reason why the elevator door spawns underground but the stock clamps don't? I want to use the tower to get kerbals up to the ship but the door is buried lol.

Because they're planted to the ground and not in the air

Yea but the FASA launch tower gets cleaned up automagically. It's just the clamps that remain which you have to go into the Tracking Center to recover manually

@frizzank: do you think it would be possible to add an option, as a LaunchClamp plug-in child class maybe, to automatically clean them upon launch (perhaps when distance become greater than 2.5 kms or a given value) ?

It's really fun if you have Romfarer's plugin and DRE installed. The increased load distance means the clamps are still part of the active simulation when your main craft is at orbital speeds.

I just found these. WOW. They are so nice! I'm going to use them for everything. In fact ... I might just delete the stock ones since I'll never have to use those again. Just absolutely brilliant.

I have a little trouble placing the crew tower (specifically so that it aligns with the Mk1-2 hatch), but I know what you mean about the umbilicals. I remember watching Apollo launches as a kid and seeing all those gantries and umbilicals fall away as the rocket launched.

I have a little trouble placing the crew tower (specifically so that it aligns with the Mk1-2 hatch), but I know what you mean about the umbilicals. I remember watching Apollo launches as a kid and seeing all those gantries and umbilicals fall away as the rocket launched.

You can rotate them down using the Shift+ one of the WASDQE keys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.