Pteron Micro Shuttle and rescue vehicle Beta download available(9/9/2014)

Sage Sagan

Well, the back of the shuttle is going to be a standard 1.25m port, so I'd guess 0.675m engines would be the best option.

Nice, a 48-7S is probably suitable, I assume the shuttle will store some LFO?

Nice, a 48-7S is probably suitable, I assume the shuttle will store some LFO?

It wasn't going to but in the interests of versatility it will have LFO, just not a lot of LFO. Trying to keep things balanced in a game play and gravitational sense means small fuel tanks, I think the skinny engines from Dtobi's pack should work a treat.

There is no proprietary engine, there will be a .675m attach point in each wing root in addition to the large point where the clamp"O"tron fits.

Minor update: As you may have read earlier in the thread Blackheart now has all models and is working his magic. I am writing the config and probably spending too much time with the jokes! No, there is no date for release.

Heh, it's a good thing that I actually modeled that hidden surface... Not that I really foresee the wing's being reused on other craft, but that it will look more complete when someone shears a wing or two off during landing.

Just a quick head'sup. The angled shape between the upper and lower elevator flap is the engine block, I never added AO/normals to that part, so it's up to you to add as many nozzles as you think is necessary for orbital maneuvering.

Heh, it's a good thing that I actually modeled that hidden surface... Not that I really foresee the wing's being reused on other craft, but that it will look more complete when someone shears a wing or two off during landing.

Just a quick head'sup. The angled shape between the upper and lower elevator flap is the engine block, I never added AO/normals to that part, so it's up to you to add as many nozzles as you think is necessary for orbital maneuvering.

Ahh, I see. Was wondering what it was (or ever other flaps for that matter) lol

Some minor texture changes. Sage is working on everything else methinks. Let's give him time.

Hello all, yes plodding along. Once there is a rough shuttle in game Myself and Blackheart (if he is interested) will have to spend a couple of days getting COM correct and working how much LFO is enough but not too much.

Basically flight testing and config after texturing and unity import are complete. I would guess that we are about a week from an early release. I also got to thinking that although a 1.25m, two kerbal shuttle is awesome how about a .675m 1 kerbal aerodynamic re-entry pod?

ZPFiveq.jpgVqLr9vl.jpg

Just to show that a kerbal would fit

Edited by Sage Sagan

Pressure cooker seems a little harsh. As per the government procurement criteria at least 30% of the simulations ended with an alive kerbal , there was some slight cooking but that was easily addressed with the addition of garlic and pepper into the environmental system.

I give you the H.A.R.P, sometimes the only thing that prevents your crew from getting their harps!vPo8QuJ.jpg

It is not clear in the drawings but the wings will be quite long and narrow with an aggressive downward camber, this allows several H.A.R.P.s to be stored inside a slightly expanded 2.5m module (included with the purchase of 3 or more).

No engines, it doesn't need any. The de-orbit system would be through the nose R.C.S ports or maybe even a single solid rocket motor in the nose...this is a 1 shot deal.

Loving the concept of the Kanned Kerbal...err H.A.R.P., but those downward angled wings would mean it would likely be a nightmare to fly. It would make it very roll-unstable, with a nasty tendency to add a helping of rotisserie to the pressure-cooker. :)

Loving the concept of the Kanned Kerbal...err H.A.R.P., but those downward angled wings would mean it would likely be a nightmare to fly. It would make it very roll-unstable, with a nasty tendency to add a helping of rotisserie to the pressure-cooker. :)

To be honest if it weren't for all the FAR nuts jumping down my throat it wouldn't have any wings at all. I think a semi lifting body with a couple of fins for stability is all an escape pod needs, it isn't meant to fly rather it should fall gracefully. The 100m/s crash rating would help as well! If your target is Kerbin all you need to do is slow down, gravity will do the rest.

Edited by Sage Sagan

FAR supports lifting bodies, 100m/s impact into the ground isn't really ideal for survivability, if it's going in that uncontrolled and has no landing gear, it might as well use a chute.

It would have fins and lift, that's controllable...yay. Plus re-entry pods look cool, which is half the point, I see it more as having some control over where you land rather than being "flyable".

So FAR supports lifting bodies? For definite? Because if it does I shall redesign the H.A.R.P with no wings and a tail fin.