Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

I love the texture replacer for the wings it's a lot of fun but you're missing Columbia.

Yeah, the Columbia is in. It's just that without cockpit nameplates (they don't work yet), you can't tell without knowing a bit about the Shuttle Orbiters. The Columbia didn't have a name on it's wing. Indeed, Columbia's wings are the most distinctive of the pack, with wing gloves black instead of white, an American flag on the left wing and "USA" letters on the right. I'm still working on the cockpit, the next release will probably include a fix (and I'll switch the wings over to the new textureSwitch module) and the rudder being done as either a Firespitter variable geometry wing or an airbrake instead of landing gear.

Edited by Guest

No, Columbia is there.

It's the one without the name, as it was IRL.

The Columbia didn't have a name on it's wing. Indeed, Columbia's wings are the most distinctive of the pack, with wing gloves black instead of white, an American flag on the left wing and "USA" letters on the right.

Well...that is correct...to a point. If I'm not mistaken the last two flights of Columbia, after the last refit, was marked the same as the other shuttles.

Here is a shot before STS-109.

STS-109_Columbia_rollout_KSC-02PD-0043.jpg

Edited by RedAV8R

Hmm, I could ask Dolin to make that scheme available when he gets back. Still, for most flights, the scheme included is correct, including the most important milestones (aside from burning up on reentry with it's Spacehab module, it didn't do anything unusual on those last missions). IIRC, other Shuttles were repainted slightly at various points of their service, but the schemes included are pretty much what they looked like for the majority of their careers.

Hmm, I could ask Dolin to make that scheme available when he gets back. Still, for most flights, the scheme included is correct, including the most important milestones (aside from burning up on reentry with it's Spacehab module, it didn't do anything unusual on those last missions). IIRC, other Shuttles were repainted slightly at various points of their service, but the schemes included are pretty much what they looked like for the majority of their careers.

Confirmed...it was just the last two missions. Still though, calling a Hubble mission as not important or usual wouldn't exactly be called accurate.

Ah, right. I mixed up missions due to a numbering snarl. :) You're right, the Hubble flight was it's second-to-last mission. Well, when Dolin comes around, I'll see him about the paint scheme.

Ah, right. I mixed up missions due to a numbering snarl. :) You're right, the Hubble flight was it's second-to-last mission. Well, when Dolin comes around, I'll see him about the paint scheme.

That's understandable. By far though still the most recognizable as seen from the top with the front wing root being black.

Something broke this update for me. I can't launch KSP.exe. it will complete the loading process and will then crash to the desktop. If I delete the 'CSS' folder from the 'GameData' folder. KSP loads with no problem. Any ideas?

Something broke this update for me. I can't launch KSP.exe. it will complete the loading process and will then crash to the desktop. If I delete the 'CSS' folder from the 'GameData' folder. KSP loads with no problem. Any ideas?

You're running out of memory, get ATM or use the KSP-64 bit hack.

Active Texture Management. Just copy that into a search engine and it should be the first one.

Any idea why I cant load the shuttle. the load file says "contains locked or invalid parts"? It worked before. What am I missing now?

Is it possible to give the engine sound a little more power. It just seems a little weak considering the how loud the Space Shuttle actually was at launch. When I was a kid I actually had the pleasure of going to a launch with my dad and I have to tell you that it was hands down (obviously) the loudest thing I have ever heard. I have been going to airshows with my father and later with friends all my life and still nothing has even come close to the sound of the space shuttle take off. It was incredible. I have had B1 bombers fly over my head and seen the Blue Angels do high speed passes over the runway and the sound just isn't even close. I mean I was only a few hundred feet away from these planes and the Space Shuttle from the viewing gallery I believe is three or four miles away. Anyway just wasn't sure if it was possible to beef up the engine sounds.

Downloaded the new version, and it works awesome! No missing parts for me any more (I never did figure out the missing RC.radial). I like the switchable wing textures. SRB sep is a lot better, too. Also, I don't know why, but the game runs so much better with the new version, too. I'm on a very low end system, and during launch I only got 4-5 FPS. Now I'm getting 10-15 FPS, which to me is heaven! :P

I'm curious, when do you guys usually separate the SRBs? Do you wait until they are completely out, or when they still have a little bit of thrust? Or do you still fly without ETC?

Downloaded the new version, and it works awesome! No missing parts for me any more (I never did figure out the missing RC.radial). I like the switchable wing textures. SRB sep is a lot better, too. Also, I don't know why, but the game runs so much better with the new version, too. I'm on a very low end system, and during launch I only got 4-5 FPS. Now I'm getting 10-15 FPS, which to me is heaven! :P

I'm curious, when do you guys usually separate the SRBs? Do you wait until they are completely out, or when they still have a little bit of thrust? Or do you still fly without ETC?

I usually sep them at about 2:06-2:10 during the flight.

Smokescreen dependency removal was the reason for the improvement. It tends to bog down weaker computers.

Working on it.

Giving it every free time I got during evening and nights.

I am doing the UV mapping for the very first time ( never used it before my pause from modeling) so it takes me some time. And during this UV Mapping I have found some errors in the model so I am correcting some beginners errors in the model too. Well it is really pity that I had this 6 years long pause from making models. Now I am learning everything again :(