Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

If you don't install the required plugins, I can't help you. If you don't like ETC, you're on your own. Boosters do separate, but you need to be going straight up. The next release will have a better separation.

Also, to everyone who wants an RSS version: I need FAR data for all Shuttle aerodynamic surfaces. That means you need to take this image:

http://space1.com/Spacecraft_Data/Handbook_Illustrations/Space_Shuttle/Orbiter_Dimensions/orbiter_dimensions.html

and derive the required values for FAR modules from it. I tried and didn't succeed, maybe somebody else will have more luck. This will also go a long way towards having the Buran in RSS (because the wings are very similar).

I don't think ETC is necessary. It works just fine with out it. I don't have any problems with the mod either way, even with ETC the engines smash into the orbiter.

Thanks all for the ideas. I should have mentioned, I do have the four mods required for the plain version of the spacecraft to work (I assume if I didn't install them correctly the plain version wouldn't work). I pressed Alt-F2, and there is one missing part from the NRO version called RC.radial.

Normally I am pitched over a bit when I separate the SRBs. I tried it going straight up this time, and crisis was averted - thanks! I'll try without ETC, as well.

Trent

No, I couldn't, as this would require an animation, and I can't edit the model.

EDIT: OK, the next release it up! Finally, you can see Firespitter-based wheels, cargobay that can be opened and closed in VAB, and all the other stuff check the notes.

Also, I'm looking for help with certain things.

1. RPM expert. I'd like to use ALCOR props in the Shuttle cabin, but I have no idea how to set them up.

2. Aerodynamics expert. I need to set the wings up to work with FAR.

Edited by Guest

Amazing work and it does work with existing saves but i would love to be able to click on the windows. I know this is a WIP though so go take a well deserved break :). Again amazing detail and work put into this! Pretty much met and exceeded KSO standard

Edited by montyben101

Ok just downloaded the latest update and I found a few bugs. First off the takeoff is much smoother, srb separation is now the way its supposed to be. Might need some tweaking maybe a drop in the torque because they are right on the verge of coming off and orbiting like when the torque on fairings are too high? But still very big improvement and they don't strike the orbiter which is a huge plus. The issues are with the docking and landing gear.

I can't click control from here or even activate the docking port if that was the intention.

bw0YWMA.png

The landing gear spins sideways kinda like the bike from batman

MNc1C.gif

7TDdTQD.png

YiMWVyx.png

Finally the hatch is obstructed

Bzt6y4t.png

Wau nice picture.

Crap I need to hurry up with the airlock model. Will try my best to release it soon as possible ( but you know family life :) ) , UV mapping and texturing is in progress and we can put it in unity and in the game.

Edited by Jovzin

:o:O:O:O:O SO AWSOME updating firespitter fixed it.... i wont spoil the fun for you.... :o

Yeah, latest Firespitter pre-release is mandatory. This gear bug is the reason it wasn't released a week ago.

You can get RL-10 from FASA, and build the Centaur yourself. Centaur G ​(that was how the Shuttle's Centaur was designated) was a bit oddly shaped, but you should be able to make it with FASA and PP. As for IUS, if someone makes it, I'll throw it in the payload pack, but otherwise nope.

I love the texture replacer for the wings it's a lot of fun but you're missing Columbia. I figured maybe it was becuse of the accident but you've got challenger so you should put Columbia. The texture replacer in the crew compartment doesn't work. No name shows up in the front. Also out of respect and I don't think anyone would mind maybe you should put some sort of dedication in the texture like a black ribbon under the name or on the flag? Nothing big just something small because it feels weird flying flying a ship with the name challenger on it. Probably just me but whatever.

BlackRibbon.gif

Quick thing: In the RPM files there is a patch for the mk1 lander can to allow kerbals heads to rotate 180 degrees, Im wondering if this can be applied to the shuttle. I will try some stuff out

Edit: no luck so far :(

Edited by montyben101

I love the texture replacer for the wings it's a lot of fun but you're missing Columbia. I figured maybe it was becuse of the accident but you've got challenger so you should put Columbia. The texture replacer in the crew compartment doesn't work. No name shows up in the front. Also out of respect and I don't think anyone would mind maybe you should put some sort of dedication in the texture like a black ribbon under the name or on the flag? Nothing big just something small because it feels weird flying flying a ship with the name challenger on it. Probably just me but whatever.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JAD8vIGGH6U/SWeWQlLgZ5I/AAAAAAAAArI/oLZfuScKTNg/s400/BlackRibbon.gif

No, Columbia is there.

It's the one without the name, as it was IRL.

nasa-columbia-index.jpg

Space_Shuttle_Orbiter_Columbia.jpg