KSP is intended for which ages of player?

Sirine

I think KSP is intended for everyone. It presents a unique experience that allows an person to explore the wonders of space travel and orbital mechanic while entertaining themselves. Of course, some things may be difficult for some age groups (like using advanced mathematics or playing on a keyboard), but everyone can have a good time. Anyways, it would only be advantageous for SQUAD to target a larger group of people.

In truth, I don't think there is an 'ideal' age for the game

A 10 year old will get as much of a kick out of it as a 60 year old.

I agree with a few of the other posters on this thread though. Just think how much more interesting a physics class would have been at school if it actually included a copy of KSP to learn about orbital mechanics :-)

My three year old loves the Kerbals (Squad is really missing the boat with no plush Kerbals in the store), he loves to ineptly drive rovers around the KSP and loves to handle staging during a launch or pop the chutes during re-entry. I thought that was about the extent of his capacity for the game. Then, this weekend, he ran through the living room making a shhhhhh noise and then fell onto the floor dramatically. When his Grandpa asked what he was doing he explained that "I got unstable in the gravity roll and (makes a violent wobble motion with his hands) and blew up!" (Which, sadly, speaks volumes about my KSP skills.)

He also pointed to a Canadian $5 the other day and said "There's a Kerbal on that money."

So it seems that this game, like science, has appeal with some people pretty much from cradle to grave.

Definatly for everybody. Let's not forget the main advertising for KSP - Larger youtubers. Kids follow them, love playing indie games like minecraft, see they start playing KSP, see there's a demo, and there you go.

Others hear it from colleagues at work, steam is a MASSIVE force now.

My opinion :-)

I'm 44 years old. This is the only game in all of gamedom that is interesting enough for me to tolerate.

I've done all that, I've plugged quarters into an Asteroids machine, I had a Commodore 64, I played Pong in the 1970's, I had an Atari 2600 when that was a geeky thing to have, I was there for Doom and Duke Nukem and KSP is hands down the most interesting thing happening in gaming today.

I'd say "mature" player with "advanced" tastes and "extra" requirements for a more interesting, involved game.

I think everyone.

I want to suck the marrow from its bones (eek a gruesome thought) however my daughter just like the cute kerbals and the BIG explosions. Both love to try and land in Mun and Minmus.

Ages 0 and up, definitely. Each group will get its own kicks from it, though I really do not think those groups are age related. I think it is much more a fun sandbox/casual player/space enthousiast/realism freak categories thing.

I agree that it does have a steep learning curve, but everyone can play it.

Me myself, I'm 12 but have an IQ level of my 18th year of school, and I still learn new things often from this game and its forum.

My 0.02

It should also be remembered, in terms of the "great depths" of KSP, that a lot of people started playing in versions where there was very little to do. The great depths were rather shallow back then, before the Mun and everything else. Shoot up, orbit, come back.

We have some pretty old players here by the way, some in their 60's, a few even older.

KSP isn't really aimed at any one age group or demographic, Felipe got the chance to make the game he wanted to play, it just happens to also appeal to the rocket scientist in all of us :)

I feel that SQUAD threw a blanket out over the gaming community, such that any and all can enjoy KSP. Sandbox mode offers all the parts in a convenient lumping to have fun instantly. Career mode pushes to teach everyone how to use the parts to their greatest effect, starting with a fuel tank, an engine, a booster, a capsule, and a chute.

There's a steep learning curve, yes, but there's pretty explosions along the way. And let's face it, we've all had those days where we just wanted to blow something up, and KSP is one of those games it's very possible to do that in, and not have too much stress about it.

It's also a game to try new things. You can fly airplanes that would never fly in Earth's atmosphere. You can make rovers and trucks and bases on other planets, each time chucking another friendly green guy out into space.

Or you can send him back home with a mainsail cannon.

i honestly feel its for everyone, my 5yr old nephew enjoys trying to play, (though he builds wacky rockets that always blow up) and me, as an adult, finds a ton of fun in the mods or stock game :) just the base of make a rocket and see what happens intrigues all ages i feel. its a sandbox space craft game, with the ability to make it "chore" like to get more parts.

We have some pretty old players here by the way, some in their 60's, a few even older.

KSP isn't really aimed at any one age group or demographic, Felipe got the chance to make the game he wanted to play, it just happens to also appeal to the rocket scientist in all of us :)

I'm 54 and still a kid when playing games like this... I'm a flight sim addict (or was until I started KSP) so have a whole bunch of simulator stuff. I've even put my ATR72-500 cockpit build on hold due to this game.

I think making this game moddable from the start was the thing that made this game so perfect. Felipe really made the foundations and the community made the mods that enabled the game to be whatever the player wanted it to be. In these days of paying for map packs and even little graphics for a game, Felipe gambled and won.... BIG! Not everyday that NASA backs a video game after all.

I don't think that there's an age range to this game. I don't think there's really an intelligence limit to the game either - it's as hard as you want to make it. If you want, you can make a collassal ship and give yourself all the margin you want, or you can number crunch your way through mission planning and make your ship as minimalist as possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.