How many of you have landed on Eve and returned?

mr_yogurt

I've made one serious attempt at it and failed. The biggest trick I found was landing that much delta-v on the surface without the lander breaking apart. Also the lag you get from putting together a ship with that many stages is horrible. In short an Eve return is about as much fun as a visit to the dentist.

I just did it a few days ago, with deadly reentry and FAR to boot. Although honestly I think FAR might have made, at least the ascent, easier. Took me probably weeks to design and test and tweak the landers, to keep from burning up on entry and falling apart on touchdown. In order to test them, of course, I had to manually send each and every one to Eve and try it out, tweak, resend, repeat....all with refueling in Kerbin and Eve orbit. Unfortunately, I was finally forced to use the reinforced joints mod in order to save myself another many weeks of heavily lagging testing. The final design was practically the original, but without as many struts.

I guess landing was the hardest part, as once I successfully accomplished that, the ascent vehicle worked the first time.

screenshot88.jpg

I did it in I think .21 for a reddit challenge. There was some testing during the design phase and some quickloading during the mission, but I didn't have to go back to the drawing board. I used a thrust plate to get off of kerbin and to Eve, and it doubled as a platform I attached all my landing legs to(many many landing legs).

I literally just did this about 2 weeks ago. My first ever Eve return. I documented it here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70838-EVE-Round-Trip-w-kethane-Complete-Disaster-Let-s-find-out!

It was poorly concieved, badly executed, and nearly failed a million times. But, by Kerb, Jebediah Kerman pulled it off. I'm looking forward to doing it again, but differently .... and hopefully with a lot less drama.

Eve was the first place I sent an interplanetary probe for a landing, because I knew that getting down safely was a question of adding a few parachutes and hitting the spacebar.

Returning though...I consider that to be an endgame-level task. That and Tylo. Neither will happen for me for some time, I think.

I have tried and failed. I'm trying to develop a SSTO design, or at least one that uses minimal staging to return. I've learned that the thick atmosphere can make just about anything fly if you put wings on it, and I want to take advantage of that. I need to do much more math to see if a solution exists, but I have confidence that it does.

^ It's an interesting idea - perhaps an aerospike powered winged aircraft, then a nuclear piggyback stage to do the rest? My gut says that you'd be expending more fuel to fly up to the right altitude than if you just went with a conventional rocket though.

A few have mentioned the Hooligan Lab's mod, and that is the only way I've been able to do it so far. At one point I designed an asparagus staged return vehical that (on paper) would work, but delivering it to eve proved neigh impossible without breaking something in the process. Since the balloons worked so well, I just went that route.

At one point I did the eve circumnavigation with Kethane plane challenge (never bothered with posting all the required screenshots to make it official), but that was a very rewarding experiance and I'm glad I did that one.

I think one of the reasons I go to eve so much is because my daughters favorite color is purple, and she just loves to help daddy "play rocket ships", especially when her "purple planet" is on the screen.

Personally I think the terrain is also more interesting than other bodies. I've rolled a lot of probes down the sides of hills and mountains on eve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.