Devnote Tuesdays: The "Riding To GDC on an Asteroid" Edition

SQUAD

<p><strong>Felipe (HarvesteR)</strong><span><strong>:</strong> Doing some last-minute testing on the ARM Patch, fixing and tweaking anything that can be squeezed into the few hours still available before it’s time to pack up and head for the GDC. Also managed to pop by the immigration office downtown this morning to pick up my passport. It would have been quite an un-fun experience, trying to get to SF without it. Last week (and weekend) was pretty much full time testing and fixing details both small and large with the ARM Patch features. There have been a few mystery bugs we had to hunt down, but mainly we were tweaking parameters in just about everything we’ve done. All that tweaking really impressed upon us the sheer amount of new stuff we’ve added for the update. It’s been a huge amount of work, but hopefully it’ll all have been worthwhile. From my end at least, I can say I’ve been having a lot of fun with it, and that’s what it’s all about in the end.</span></p>

<p><strong>Alex (aLeXmOrA): </strong><span>Still working on the in-game stats page. </span></p>

<p><strong>Mike (Mu):</strong><span> *More prep for testing the missions and new UI gubbinz. Some more work on surface effects tho not sure they’ll make it into .24 just yet, depends how testing goes.</span></p>

<p><strong>Marco (Samsonart):</strong><span> The ARM tutorials are coming together nicely, QA for the first one is already in course, not too many issues too, so it’s almost time to merge them into ARM patch.</span></p>

<p><strong>Daniel (danRosas)</strong><span><strong>:</strong> I’m full into the animation now, on those small details. Renders are finally done, after some weird history and reference problems in Maya, now I know better than to start modifying a mesh that’s referenced from another file. *Don’t mess with the references. It’s safe to say that it’s now in post-production.</span></p>

<p><strong>Jim (Romfarer): </strong><span>This week i have been preparing the new gui’s for testing. I also rewrote the controller for the application launcher. Instead of leaving a lot of the visibility management up to the apps themselves, it’s now handled by flags. All the old callbacks are still in place for those apps that require that extra level of control.</span></p>

<p><strong>Miguel (Maxmaps): </strong><span>Editing, recording, re-recording things that came out wrong while arranging things and negotiating with the aforementioned mod distribution partner. Also helping out with GDC and media related stuff. Caught an asteroid too. Much rejoicing.</span><span></span></p>

<p><strong>Jesus (Chuchito): </strong><span>Testing some features on the chat system, after 72 hrs of testing, flooding the system with fake messages.</span><span></span></p>

<p><strong>Bob (Calisker): </strong><span>At GDC and really enjoyed Chad’s talk as well as a few others. It’s always great to see old friends and make new ones. It’s a great industry and I feel blessed to be a part of it. </span></p>

<p><strong>Ted (Ted): </strong><span>Been doing some good ol’ Experimental Testing with the Experimental’s Team. Have to say that the ARM Patch is looking fantastic and the Team are really sinking their teeth into it. Additionally, the QA team has been testing out Marco’s ARM Tutorial, which is getting pretty great with some excellent rendezvous tips for the player.</span></p>

<p><span><strong>Anthony (Rowsdower):</strong> I’ve been prepping for all things GDC. I’ll be around for media interviews. Not to take notes or anything, but to look threatening and slap armbars on anyone who doesn’t like the game. - or not. You be the judge. On another note, I am really looking forward to the Kerbal Kommunity Meetup tomorrow afternoon.<br/></span></p>

<p><strong>Mike (Mu):</strong><span> *More prep for testing the missions and new UI gubbinz. Some more work on surface effects tho not sure they’ll make it into .24 just yet, depends how testing goes.</span></p>

Would it be possible to get any elaboration on surface effects? A graphical effect, physics or aerodynamic effect etc?

Are we talking kick up some dust when you land (or drive), or hovercrafts now possible for example

Edited by NoMrBond

couldn't we at least get an open beta-early release of arm PPPPLEASE (hand it over now OR ELSE) :P, otherwise good luck at GDC and give us more teasers :) (show us the new gui and claw(the claw especially) maybe the new sls ?) SOMETHING ! :D we are getting anxious for the update now, I can feel it in the komunity !

Jim (Romfarer): This week i have been preparing the new gui’s for testing. I also rewrote the controller for the application launcher. Instead of leaving a lot of the visibility management up to the apps themselves, it’s now handled by flags. All the old callbacks are still in place for those apps that require that extra level of control.

Aaarggghh! Still testing?! While I'm completely appreciative of QA, I want it NOW! ;.;

Would it be possible to get any elaboration on surface effects? A graphical effect, physics or aerodynamic effect etc?

Are we talking kick up some dust when you land (or drive), or hovercrafts now possible for example

I would love to have dust effects at landing/driving on the surface of any planets and moons.

Footprints and tire tracks are probably a ways off yet, but basic effects of dust kicking up when landing/moving over the surface and water splashing when in water would be cool. Even moreso once that really weird stability issue with stock rover wheels gets fixed and roving becomes a proper delight. I'm really hoping the joint recode helps with that problem!

<strong>Felipe (HarvesteR)</strong><span><strong>:</strong> There have been a few mystery bugs we had to hunt down, but mainly we were tweaking parameters in just about everything we’ve done. All that tweaking really impressed upon us the sheer amount of new stuff we’ve added for the update

Good to see the update is coming along nicely with a lot of new stuff! Can't wait to try them all! :D

Robo-ARM + CLAW+ ROCK MOVING FASTER THEN A BULLET+ LOADS OF JUMBO ROCKET PARTS RIPE FOR THE USING= Jeb with a new disco party club in low kerbin orbit......POWER TO THE JEB!

Sorry, there will be no robo-arm.

ARM = Asteroid Retrieval Mission

*Points at plugin/mod forum*

What I wonder about: The ARM FAQ stated that science is dependent on flight situation (ie near Kerbin, high above Kerbin, etc.).

What will happen if I put an asteroid in low orbit? how will the science zones map out?

Hm, I think it would be preferable for the science value to depend on the asteroid alone - but then there would be no reason to capture the asteroid in the first place - but a difference between high and low orbit ... nah ... does not sit right with me.

Maybe like this:

Every asteroid has its own science value.

(pool of asteroid science in its "natural" environment")

When we bring them into a Kerbin orbit another experiment becomes available that takes more repetitions to exhaust a larger science pool.

(pool of asteroid science under closer and prolonged study)

Special points for an asteroid landed on Kerbin, giving Kesetas for the career mode's upcoming economic side. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.