The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

Are the asteroids just ghosts until they are tracked? Could we encounter them even untracked or are they just "sensor blips" that only manifest if locked on by the tracking station?

How many asteroids can be tracked?

Do they vanish if they are untracked and nothing is docked/clawed unto them anymore?

1.) They're just sensor blips. The reason for that is the ability to give you 5-15 blips at once and constantly spawn more at zero performance and RAM impact. Only when you start tracking them do they become real, and you cannot enounter anything not tracked.

2.) I haven't seen a limit imposed in any video. Though the most I've seen people track at once were 7 or 8 or so. Keep in mind the answer to question 1... having more and more physical asteroids in the solar system will degrade performance over time, so if you want to lock every rock that ever spawns, be prepared for that.

3.) They have a stat called signal strength that starts full and degrades as time passes while they are not tracked. If signal strength reaches zero, the blip despawns forever. So yes, if you un-track something that hasn't been made a part of a player vessel via clawing it, it will disappear.

3.b.) What happens to rocks that people have once docked with, then undocked again? For example those moved into Kerbin orbit and left there? I don't know what happens if you un-track those. Or if you even can un-track those. Maybe they'll still be regarded as a persistent player vessel, maybe not.

Thank you!

What happens to an asteroid that hits ground/water?

Harv said, that asteroids dropped (inactive) into an atmosphere will vanish like any other (inactive) object.

Anyone had a chance to examine the asteroids for possible DRE integration for them to go poof upon reentry?

Whatabout (FAR or no FAR) aerodynamics?

Thank you!

Harv said, that asteroids dropped (inactive) into an atmosphere will vanish like any other (inactive) object.

Anyone had a chance to examine the asteroids for possible DRE integration for them to go poof upon reentry?

Whatabout (FAR or no FAR) aerodynamics?

Water: in all videos where asteroid hits water, it just vanish with usual (small!) sink effects.

Ground: It just hits the ground, bounces a bit and then just lies there, presumably forever. I haven't seen a video where asteroid was destroyed by ground impact.

There is a big question about mod compability with 0.23.5, because Unity version was updated. As said during marathon, "some mods will work, some may require a recompile".

Well, personally, after watching all the ARM related content posted today, I find myself worried about the future of the game. I know that seems heavy but hear me out.

With the addition of the SLS parts it concerns me that that days of "kerballing" something up might become a thing of the past. I recently started playing the Interstellar mod and it took me a few hours to put something together to throw a 3.75-meter reactor and its attachments into high orbit. Asparagus-staged orange tanks, clustered engines, etc.

Why, shoot, just stick an SLS under it. Problem solved. Launch a fully assembled station? SLS. Single stage to Eve? SLS.

I'm not saying the game is out the airlock with the new parts (not launching satellites with SLS parts (probably will for a goof)) but it just irks me, for lack of a better word, that we may have taken the "Kerbal" out of KSP.

For me it's the pre-baked rocket clusters that feel like they're contrary to the spirit of the game, and I'm concerned about the precedent they're going to set. As exciting as the idea of a collaboration with NASA is, I don't feel like the devs have succeeded in putting a Kerbal stamp onto the parts, as I think you've suggested.

To me, Kerbal parts would be highly modular and able to be used in a wide variety of builds whereas the SLS parts (aside from the modular 3.75m tanks and the single nozzle motor) seem to me to be highly specialized and largely useless for anything but recreating the SLS. A Kerbal implementation of the SLS parts might have provided a 3/4 2.5m tank (Rockomax-48, reskin of the KSPX part yet to be implemented) together with a unique adapter and matching 1.25m motor parts, rather than baking them all together in a single object. Similarly to that, I would have liked to see the 4-cluster 3.75m piece turned into a 3.75m to 4x2.5m cluster adapter and separate new 2.5m motor parts. As it is I'll likely be deleting these welded clusters to keep them from using memory - rather be using scratch-built boosters.

As it is I'll likely be deleting these welded clusters to keep them from using memory - rather be using scratch-built boosters.

And that's really one of the beauties of this game - I can do it any way I please :). Personally I sort of agree with you - I'll play the ARM, but I might end up doing it with more stock than special parts. It's an Add-on, not part of the "stock" game in some sense, right?

I'll probably delete the clusters as well. However I'm very happy with the other parts though I don't understand why they didn't use the KSPX escape tower.

4 Skippers will quite nicely replace the 4 engine cluster and a pair of mainsails 4 the 2 engine cluster.

I don't understand why they didn't use the KSPX escape tower.

Amen. Thinking about it now, this update seems like it would've been a good opportunity to introduce a few more KSPX parts into the stock list, the LES included. Doubtful whether it'll ever be included now.

What happens to an asteroid that hits another asteroid, that's what I'd like the most to see ;)

(They feel super light for their volume from the videos, though.... some rebalancing mod is in order)

(They feel super light for their volume from the videos, though.... some rebalancing mod is in order)

The small rocks are intentionally less dense than their size would suggest, while the large ones are intentionally more dense than their size would suggest. Grab yourself a class E and you'll see ;)

Are you trying to tell me that Marathon stream is over but 0.23.5 is not released yet ?

That was unexpected ... Oo

I didn't watch all these Asteroid stream because I don't like these spoiler stream (sorta) prior update release anymore.

Did they encounter issues or something to not release the update just after the Marathon as usual ?

from the videos i saw, i like the time warp at the space center and it was a much needed feature but the devs didn't include a date or MET at the space center screen

Time warp is great, but can you plan maneuver nodes in the tracking station? Without that ability, you still have to jump into a ship to plan interceptions and/or transfers.

#Bored at work, release it now!

Time warp is great, but can you plan maneuver nodes in the tracking station? Without that ability, you still have to jump into a ship to plan interceptions and/or transfers.

I think that's fine. The Tracking Station is a quick low-footprint map mode. The more they add to it, the longer it would take to load and the less reason you'd have for not just going in to map mode with your ship instead.

#Bored at work, release it now!

I'm going on a one-week vacation in 2 hours. Release it in a week! :D

Well, personally, after watching all the ARM related content posted today, I find myself worried about the future of the game. I know that seems heavy but hear me out.

With the addition of the SLS parts it concerns me that that days of "kerballing" something up might become a thing of the past. I recently started playing the Interstellar mod and it took me a few hours to put something together to throw a 3.75-meter reactor and its attachments into high orbit. Asparagus-staged orange tanks, clustered engines, etc.

Why, shoot, just stick an SLS under it. Problem solved. Launch a fully assembled station? SLS. Single stage to Eve? SLS.

I'm not saying the game is out the airlock with the new parts (not launching satellites with SLS parts (probably will for a goof)) but it just irks me, for lack of a better word, that we may have taken the "Kerbal" out of KSP.

I understand. The fueled clustering is a departure from previous stock KSP. It looks like the NASA ARM is its own solution to the problem of those pesky asteroids. I like it, but we're so used to cobbling something together in the current KSP that it seems strange to do otherwise. I suppose that in Career mode that these will be released late in the tech tree, something of a reward for succeeding with the 'now stock' parts. I'll probably mix and match when in sandbox mode. I also suppose that there will be forum challenges which exclude the NASA parts, as there already exist the "one hand tied behind the back" challenges now. We'll see where all this goes soon enough.

I'm not worried about the more powerful parts. I've been using NovaPunch for quite some time which has parts more powerful than those which ARM is adding and do not find it by any means game breaking. A big aspect is when parts are unlocked in the tech tree.

As the devas have said then new parts aren't designed to be balanced to the other parts. They are designed to make things easier. The cluster engine is interesting, it makes a 5 part item, into a single part item. You could work around it if you want, but that's more up to you.

I agree about how it may seem different, but these parts arent designed to compete with current parts. They are designed to be BETTER. I do think there will be challenges that require no NASA parts. I would rather them work with NASA and put into OP parts rather them not, plus the claw, and asteroids alone are pretty cool.

Did they encounter issues or something to not release the update just after the Marathon as usual ?

Usual? IIRC the only version released after marathon was .18 Folowing versions were released few days after a marathon. Let's look at some statistics:

.21 -- Marathon - July 20 ; Released - July 24

.22 -- Marathon - October 11 ; Released - October 16 (Release date was announced a day before at KSP Weekly)

.23 -- KerbalKon - December 12 ; Released - December 17

.23.5 -- Marathon - March 24 ; Released - ????

Sooo... I think it will be similar to .22 and release date will be announced at Devnote Tuesdays => Wednesday/Thursday are most likely the release dates.

It is only my estimation.

.21 -- Marathon - July 20 ; Released - July 24

.22 -- Marathon - October 11 ; Released - October 16 (Release date was announced a day before at KSP Weekly)

.23 -- KerbalKon - December 12 ; Released - December 17

.23.5 -- Marathon - March 24 ; Released - ????

looks like we will get the update on march 28-30 ith..... judging by the patterns in the release--marathon dates of previous releases.

I'm sure of this... oh no, now I'm too excited again :(