The Grand 0.23.5 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

You can now click the "MET" icon at the top and it will toggle between the mission time and the year/day of your save.

http://i.imgur.com/ATGInsG.png

I love this new feature, as well as the mission time is now displayed in Kerbin years, rather than based off the rotation cycle of some strange planet somewhere.

I wouldn't call having a backup battery an exploit at all. You're just using game mechanics in a useful way.

However, if I can't remember to deploy my solar panels, I probably wouldn't remember to turn the battery off either.

Anybody else getting the idea that the new Liquid Booster is... well, awesome? It has basically the same stats as a Mainsail + Jumbo-64 except with less overheating and more thrust (and Isp). I tested one of these and it's only a hair shy of being able to stick a full Jumbo-64 in orbit.

If you ask me, the little backup battery is darn clever.

A clever use of game mechanics by the player, yes.

The exploit comes from the fact, that the battery "activates" at just the right moment the probe needs power to do something. :wink:

A backup battery usually activates as soon as every other power source is lost.

A clever use of game mechanics by the player, yes.

The exploit comes from the fact, that the battery "activates" at just the right moment the probe needs power to do something. :wink:

A backup battery usually activates as soon as every other power source is lost.

If you forget to add 2-4 small solar panels you forget to turn off the backup battery :)

This however is an critical feature in the early game where you can reserve an battery for the return burn after an Mun or Minmus mission.

However then I almost always add small panels.

Last time I had an issue with this was an rover I wanted to test on the Mun, as it was a rover all the panels was on top.

The Mun was full, result my panels was in shadow from then I wanted to do the correction burn until impact.

I'm happy with it. However, when using radially mounted boosters (like the new long SRBs), it has a habit of getting damaged when dumping the boosters off. The separatons have trouble dealing with the heavier boosters. I would up building an extended frame around it to carry the boosters.

I've noticed the better stability with my builds. You can indeed build something big without a launch tower.

ZF-

Edited by Zad Fnark

Nah, it's actually directly connected to the servos that control the solar panels, so they deploy automatically. That the player has to intervene is just a limit of the simulation. ;)

Thank you, Mr Loophole. :wink:

No? I tried previously in 0.23. They were always open, and closed on launch. Now they start closed in VAB, and I assume you can have them open- even on launch.

Correct. Ladders used to be deployed in VAB and had no toggle. Now they are like legs where they start undeployed and can be toggled.

The only way I could see having an extra battery pack on a ship is if it was edited onto the craft after the fact, having it already on the craft would be something that could be done in a real life situation. You could rig the secondary bank to an action group, much like a manual toggle switch, to turn them on in the event that you need power on the dark side of a moon or plant, where no amount of flat solar panels would work. Hope for the best but always plan for the worse, yes you can just place a bunch of batteries on the craft but that gets heavy after awhile. At the end it comes down to play style you can do it if you want, but if you don't like it don't do it it is that simple.

The NASA logo on the new parts feels a bit... judgemental...

I mean NASA is great and all, wonderful bunch of guys. But when I'm strapping one of these new boosters to a rocket powered Moon Buggy Racecar thing with a newly added claw grabber, and blowing things up carelessly and carefree... I can't help but notice that logo... and somehow deep inside I feel like I'm letting NASA down... I should be doing space science! Redirecting Asteroids! Saving the world! But no... I'm attaching a command seat to a booster and seeing how far Jebediah will fly...

Im sorry I have failed you! I don't need this kind of pressure!

I switched to using the classic space-LEGO logo from back in the early '80s, since I feel like I'm playing with a big explosive LEGO set. It makes me feel right at home. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.