[WIP] Aerojet Kerbodyne (Released Service Module Pack)

A question, gimballing engines needs a plugin, right? KW don't have gimballing engines anyway. (talking about the animation)

Yes, as far as I'm aware dtobi's one from his space shuttle engines pack is the one you want, and I'm pretty sure he lets others include it in their works as well with permissions :D

Nope. Gimballing (The animation) doesn't need a plugin.

What you need to do is set up the Nozzle of your engine to be a different object in Unity. You would then parent the nozzle object to the ThrustTransform, and Viola, done.

Thrust is gimballed by rotating the ThrustTransform. By parenting the nozzle to the transform, you will rotate it too. This will produce weird rotation if you place the transform at the end of the nozzle however, so make sure to place the transform at the base of the nozzle, and adjust your collider accordingly.

Nope. Gimballing (The animation) doesn't need a plugin.

What you need to do is set up the Nozzle of your engine to be a different object in Unity. You would then parent the nozzle object to the ThrustTransform, and Viola, done.

Thrust is gimballed by rotating the ThrustTransform. By parenting the nozzle to the transform, you will rotate it too. This will produce weird rotation if you place the transform at the end of the nozzle however, so make sure to place the transform at the base of the nozzle, and adjust your collider accordingly.

I have it already separated. I looked closer and realized it does animate, thank you. Though the thrustTransform is in the middle. I'll see for the effects if I should change it later.

Meet the Kerbodyne HG10:

RSxu4np.pngEtGbwWO.png

And here's a pic with SDHI:

x85XGtU.png

I have it already separated. I looked closer and realized it does animate, thank you. Though the thrustTransform is in the middle. I'll see for the effects if I should change it later.

Meet the Kerbodyne HG10:

http://i.imgur.com/RSxu4np.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/EtGbwWO.png

And here's a pic with SDHI:

http://i.imgur.com/x85XGtU.png

Will you also be doing the Orion RCS thrusters? They look quite nice and the only 2 way RCS is nice because it allows for better aesthetics :D

*Has to replace keyboard because of drooling while looking at pretty new engine.*

I. Must. Haz! I Volunteer as TRIBUTE! I will test anything and everything, and these parts will be perfect for me! (I am making a Constellation Programme full replica, using SDHI, along with other mods. After I'm done I planning on posting it as a video.)

As it happens to be jnrobinson made a 5 seater capsule which can be seen as a stock-a-like Orion :D An perfect addition to the new packs and in my opinion it suits perfect for SDHI . Literally this and the capsule is wanted since SDHI was released but I never dared to mod myself :D With ARM this wish got even stronger and now in a short period both dreams are made true :D

So we would need a SDHI rescale for the afore mentioned capsule and maybe a little size or at least stat tweak for this engine. I will later try to make some rescales (also of the new stock SLS parts so they are a bit bigger than the new capsule, so if anyone would be interested in those I may provide MM configs, if my experiments come to fruition)

Well, so I actually just wanted to make you aware of this capsule ... I think it fits perfectly for SDHI and your engine what do you think? :D

Hmmm, yeah, it looks cool. In my opinion though:

They are in different sizes, we can resize, but think Mk1-2 is in the "right size" because SLS is supposed to have a bigger diameter than that of Orion, iirc.

Regarding the crew cap, pretty sure more can fit into an Mk1-2. Just not optimized.

Here's the thing Im working on currently, an adapter that leads to 2.5m. The ATV ("Service Module Extension") Add-on will be done next. Though, is it AJ10 also on ATV?

2n4aAva.png

Yeah you have a point there. As the new stock SLS parts are sized for the Mk1-2, it makes sense to fit those parts here to it. I guess I will rescale them for my personal use with the other capsule anyway :D

Edit : Regarding the SLS part sizes.. Yeah it would be looking totally odd using the 3.75m rocket parts with the 3.75m capsule so if I am using the stock SLS parts for the new capsule I may resize them for my personal use

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Yeah you have a point there. As the new stock SLS parts are sized for the Mk1-2, it makes sense to fit those parts here to it. I guess I will rescale them for my personal use with the other capsule anyway :D

Edit : Regarding the SLS part sizes.. Yeah it would be looking totally odd using the 3.75m rocket parts with the 3.75m capsule so if I am using the stock SLS parts for the new capsule I may resize them for my personal use

SLS parts aren't perfectly sized for Mk1-2. 4.2 meters would be exactly proportional, but 4.125 would make more sense since it's a multiple of 0.125 like the other parts. IMO, just because all the mods beforehand hads been using 3.75 doesn't mean Squad should. Another plus, 4.125 is proportional with S-IVB (6.6 m) stage to Apollo (4 m) as Mk1-2 pod (2.5 m) would be to 4.125 m! 4.125 really makes much more sense than silly old 3.75.

But, to be more on topic -- I'm a big fan of your work blackheart from your various other projects, and this is looking just as good! :)

No. The normal ATV has only four small thrusters, but the service module adds a larger engine. Not sure what it is.

Yep, they have small thrusters. Talking about here:

Orion-Multiple-Purpose-Cr-010.jpg

What engine is THAT? o.O

SLS parts aren't perfectly sized for Mk1-2. 4.2 meters would be exactly proportional, but 4.125 would make more sense since it's a multiple of 0.125 like the other parts. IMO, just because all the mods beforehand hads been using 3.75 doesn't mean Squad should. Another plus, 4.125 is proportional with S-IVB (6.6 m) stage to Apollo (4 m) as Mk1-2 pod (2.5 m) would be to 4.125 m! 4.125 really makes much more sense than silly old 3.75.

But, to be more on topic -- I'm a big fan of your work blackheart from your various other projects, and this is looking just as good! :)

Yep. My main point thought is considering all the sizes, without defying much size rules, (0.625-3.75 are basically doubled sizes), Mk1-2 is in the "right size" hence the quotation marks. They aren't, really. But that's the closest you can get. Closer than that of having a 3.75m pod. lol.

Anyway, thanks :wink:

Talking about here:

Orion-Multiple-Purpose-Cr-010.jpg

What engine is THAT? o.O

Aha. That is a Rocketdyne RL-10B-2 used on the second stage of the Delta IV family. LOX/LH2 powered, expander cycle, with a deployable skirt extension. Isp of 462, 110kN thrust.

Various versions of the venerable RL-10 family have been in use since 1961.

Historical uses: S-IV stage (6x per stage), Centaur upper stage/orbital tug(1 or 2 per stage).

Current uses: Atlas V upper stage (still a derivative of the Centaur lineage, using one (or possibly 2, on heavier payloads) RL-10A-4 engine(s) ) and the Delta Cryogenic Upper Stage (RL-10B-2).

Edited by MaverickSawyer
Continued misunderstanding of my post required clarification.

a-ha, you say? They're a great band.

RL10B-2 is only used on Delta Cryogenic Second Stage/Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage. The other uses were all RL10 engines but in different variants. :)

(e.g. RL10A-4-2 is currently used on the Centaur for Atlas V rockets, six RL10 on Saturn I, and some other variants used on older Centaur rocket stages, like RL10A-4 and RL10A-4-1)

Edit: I misread the part about various versions of the RL10, sorry. :sticktongue:

Edited by Woopert

The service module version of ATV will have an AJ-10, just like the original Orion SM (It is renamed the "OME," just like shuttle's AJ-10s were the "OMS"). The Delta second stage above will also be the upper stage for the first few SLS flights.

reference: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/01/orions-atv-deal-esa-astro-em-2-mission/

I'm not seeing any references to the AJ-10 being used. And since I have some inside sources at Aerojet who were working on that project for an extended time span, they would have heard as well. There's no word that the ESA wants an AJ-10 on their SM.

I'm not seeing any references to the AJ-10 being used. And since I have some inside sources at Aerojet who were working on that project for an extended time span, they would have heard as well. There's no word that the ESA wants an AJ-10 on their SM.

It's not ESA's SM, it's NASA's. ESA is just the contractor. NASA is providing the engine. It will be installed after it is shipped to KSC.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=30427.630

Every design reference I've seen for Orion has a converted OMS used as OME, including the ATV SM. Perhaps that's why Aerojet sources aren't saying anything: NASA already has the OMS engines from shuttle, it won't need new ones for a while.

http://www.rocket.com/orion-main-engine...

Hmmm, Maybe a mix should happen. It will be named HG10-B anyways because I already have the HG10. Which is cool because of AJ10 and RL-10-B

I'm actually working on Kerbodyne KR-1. It was supposed to be remodel of the Mainsail.... I dunno. I'll let you guys take a look when I finish texturing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.