[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

Hey everybody -

Sorry for the lack of new info or updates lately. We've both been pretty busy with school. I do have good news though - with the .25 update seemingly coming soon we will be updating again as soon as we can after release. This will mean some interesting new updates to the HCV package, including:

- New 3.75m Crew Can, holding 8 Kerbals and featuring a custom IVA. This also shares the Science Lab texture, meaning minimal additional RAM overhead.

- (Hopefully) updated Science Bay to use whatever new animation module the stockified SP+ parts use

- Actual FAR support for the Science bay cargo doors. Sorry about that one...

- Proper EL support! Extraplanetary Launchpads should no longer be incompatible with the HCV, and we plan to add Workshop support to the Science Bay

- New textures! Every single texture has been updated, many being completely overhauled. The parts look much better now, and have let us remove some of the bump maps, which reduces RAM load significantly. Additionally, the textures are now PNG based, further reducing memory use.

- Maybe some other stuff too. The engine we teased oh-so-long-ago is looking great, but it needs a lot of balancing and testing, and extra parts for it (fuel tank, fairing, etc.) need to be made, textured, implemented in game, and balanced. Hopefully we'll have time for that, but it depends on when .25 launches and how much we can get done before then.

So that's about it for our next update - it's certainly a big one. Let us know if there's anything small you want to suggest for the update (nothing like extra parts, more IVAs, or anything like that, please!), or anything in the future. I am already planning the next texture overhaul, thanks to advice from hoojiwana (the RLA Stockalike guy) and Taverius (one of the B9 guys).

Hope this was a decent dev log/plan. Sorry for the lack of new images - I'm away from my main computer at the moment and can't grab any new screenshots.

So that's about it for our next update - it's certainly a big one. Let us know if there's anything small you want to suggest for the update (nothing like extra parts, more IVAs, or anything like that, please!), or anything in the future. I am already planning the next texture overhaul, thanks to advice from hoojiwana (the RLA Stockalike guy) and Taverius (one of the B9 guys).

I would like the ability to toggle the LES engines. I know we can disable them with the alternate config file, but having the option to use or not use them for separate, simultaneous missions would be great.

I would like the ability to toggle the LES engines. I know we can disable them with the alternate config file, but having the option to use or not use them for separate, simultaneous missions would be great.

We're actually removing the Firespitter plugin next release (provided the stock animation module is good enough) - so mesh switching won't be possible anymore (I think that's Firespitter). We are planning on converting the LES to monopropellant though, so at the very least the fuel can be used for something else.

We're actually removing the Firespitter plugin next release (provided the stock animation module is good enough) - so mesh switching won't be possible anymore (I think that's Firespitter). We are planning on converting the LES to monopropellant though, so at the very least the fuel can be used for something else.

That's unfortunate because the stock animation module doesn't allow for viewing the animation in the VAB. Unless of course it's being updated in 0.25 to allow for that. Can't say I've looked at rumors and dev notes for it.

That's unfortunate because the stock animation module doesn't allow for viewing the animation in the VAB. Unless of course it's being updated in 0.25 to allow for that. Can't say I've looked at rumors and dev notes for it.

If it isn't good enough, we are sticking with FS. Judging by the fact that stock .25 has cargo bays, I am guessing it will work a bit nicer than it does currently. There would be little use of a cargo bay without being able to open it in the VAB/SPH.

It does if you use the TweakableEverything mod.

Actually, you won't have to add FAR support in .25, because if you saw maxmaps video, it showed how things in cargo bays are shielded. So you can just add that config.

Just to clarify, the shielded cargo bays aren't final. I believe there was a statement that went out about them likely not being ready in 0.25.

Cheers,

~Claw

Just to clarify, the shielded cargo bays aren't final. I believe there was a statement that went out about them likely not being ready in 0.25.

Cheers,

~Claw

I swear that maxmaps said it'll be available in 0.25 with the spaceplane plus cargo bay.

If it isn't good enough, we are sticking with FS. Judging by the fact that stock .25 has cargo bays, I am guessing it will work a bit nicer than it does currently. There would be little use of a cargo bay without being able to open it in the VAB/SPH.

Or you could use BahamutoD's Animated Engines module. It'll even allow the engines to retract again when turned off.

Or you could use BahamutoD's Animated Engines module. It'll even allow the engines to retract again when turned off.

We already use that for the engines on the command pod - and that will almost certainly not be changing with .25. What may be changing is our use of Firespitter for our cargo bay with whatever new stock animation module Squad uses for the new SP+ bays.

We've been teasing some of this stuff for months, and we're very happy to say that it's finally here! The Taurus HCV has grown up into its own full-on CSM system, with a new propulsion system and a new alternative utility component for those of you who want to risk 15 Kerbals in a single launch!

The RKMX-4 'Quadroodle' Liquid Fuel Engine is a poor attempt at scaling up a known design, but still remains a very good orbital engine for large diameter craft. It's known to overheat though, so be careful. It also comes with the R&S Capsuledyne extra-thin 3.75m fuel tank, which is perfect for juicing up the Quadroodle.

The MCT-8 Omnibus Storage Container brings 8 Kerbals wherever the rocket will bring them in the comfort they have been familiar with - extremely shaky with concerning noises coming from key structural elements.

0ZRepg8.jpg

v 1.3.0 (10/7/14)
-Added new part: a 3.75 m orbital engine with fairing
-Added new part: a 3.75 m 8-Kerbal hitchhiker with interior
-Added new part: a 3.75 m extra thin fuel tank perfect for large service modules
-Modified all textures for every part
-Modified ALL textures for every part (too much work for a single changelog line!)
-Moved parts around the tech tree to spread everything out for career mode, parts now distributed across several nodes in the last tier
-Changed part costs and entry costs for several parts. Should be reasonable in-line now
-Actually balanced LES thrust much more
-Converted SolidFuel LES boosters to MonoPropellant so you don't have to lug SolidFuel through the solar system. We can pretend the LES is now an abort program that can't be stopped, it that makes you happy.
-Removed alternateConfig as ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads should now be compatible
-Changed name of Science Processing Bay to allow FAR/NEAR compatibility
-Updated Science Bay to use new stock animation module, removed Firespitter.dll from download as it is no longer needed
-Removed many bump maps as new alpha-channel speculars made them too much overhead for a small gain
-Removed specific specular maps, replaced by alpha-channel speculars
-Converted textures to .mbms. We're sorry, but it reduces aliasing from far away.

We've been teasing some of this stuff for months, and we're very happy to say that it's finally here! The Taurus HCV has grown up into its own full-on CSM system, with a new propulsion system and a new alternative utility component for those of you who want to risk 15 Kerbals in a single launch!

The RKMX-4 'Quadroodle' Liquid Fuel Engine is a poor attempt at scaling up a known design, but still remains a very good orbital engine for large diameter craft. It's known to overheat though, so be careful. It also comes with the R&S Capsuledyne extra-thin 3.75m fuel tank, which is perfect for juicing up the Quadroodle.

The MCT-8 Omnibus Storage Container brings 8 Kerbals wherever the rocket will bring them in the comfort they have been familiar with - extremely shaky with concerning noises coming from key structural elements.

http://i.imgur.com/0ZRepg8.jpg

v 1.3.0 (10/7/14)
-Added new part: a 3.75 m orbital engine with fairing
-Added new part: a 3.75 m 8-Kerbal hitchhiker with interior
-Added new part: a 3.75 m extra thin fuel tank perfect for large service modules
-Modified all textures for every part
-Modified ALL textures for every part (too much work for a single changelog line!)
-Moved parts around the tech tree to spread everything out for career mode, parts now distributed across several nodes in the last tier
-Changed part costs and entry costs for several parts. Should be reasonable in-line now
-Actually balanced LES thrust much more
-Converted SolidFuel LES boosters to MonoPropellant so you don't have to lug SolidFuel through the solar system. We can pretend the LES is now an abort program that can't be stopped, it that makes you happy.
-Removed alternateConfig as ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads should now be compatible
-Changed name of Science Processing Bay to allow FAR/NEAR compatibility
-Updated Science Bay to use new stock animation module, removed Firespitter.dll from download as it is no longer needed
-Removed many bump maps as new alpha-channel speculars made them too much overhead for a small gain
-Removed specific specular maps, replaced by alpha-channel speculars
-Converted textures to .mbms. We're sorry, but it reduces aliasing from far away.

YES! Just what I wanted!

So ... 7 dwarf.. erm i mean Kerbals .. multiplied by two, and a space left for Snow whi...erm..Green? Awsome im sold :sticktongue:

I forgot about the sci/cargo bay, so 3 little pi.. erm kerbals more :blush:

Yay, new parts!

I do feel there's one thing missing though, and that's a 3.75m probe core. Any chance of such a thing showing up at some point in the future?

Hmm, in the meantime, i think you could use the one that comes from interstellar mod. Even if you dont use that mod, you can just grab the model, edit its cfg a bit (similar to the stock 2.5), and ... profit. (why this one, and not lets say rescalefactor the stock one? I think it looks good along taurus, but its a matter of taste)

Edited by Thourion

I do feel there's one thing missing though, and that's a 3.75m probe core. Any chance of such a thing showing up at some point in the future?

On the way! We're aiming to finish the 3.75m set in the next couple of patches (SAS, Probe core, Battery, RCS tank, inline cockpit, slimmer adapter, if all goes well), and we have some cool ideas for what we want to do for those parts. That's a reasonable ways off, so don't hold your breath!

Glad everyone's enjoying the new parts as well!

Hopefully this isn't too odd of a request, but I noticed that the alternateconfig folder doesn't come with the download anymore. As someone who doesn't want to use the LES function of the capsule, is there still a separate model/texture out there so I don't have the unused engines stuck out and exposed? Thanks!