Can't grab asteroids

Picture would help but you either did not arm it or approached the asteroid too fast. Pack some RCS and come in slow as if you're docking.

I've never docked actually, But i'm better with asteroids than i am with docking, 1 question. How to thrust forward and backwards with RCS?

Interesting, I captured a roid yesterday, but al;wo placed the claw on a ship to go grab another ship in orbit that has run out of fuel.

Approached and matched speeds, then moved in at 0.3 m/s, they only bumped, claw was armed....

Interesting, I captured a roid yesterday, but al;wo placed the claw on a ship to go grab another ship in orbit that has run out of fuel.

Approached and matched speeds, then moved in at 0.3 m/s, they only bumped, claw was armed....

Did you kill out all lateral velocity with the vessel. I haven't actually used the claw on any vessel besides an asteroid but it appears to be more fickle than a docking port when it comes to making contact, but I noticed that killing out lateral velocity seems most important.

The claw has to hit the roid more or less perpendicular to its surface to stick. Because roids have very irregular surfaces, when usually happens is that as the ship comes in perpendicular to the roid's center of mass, the surface there is very sloped so only 1 corner of the claw will touch the roid and it won't grab if you stop the ship at this point. You usually have to rotate the ship to bring the whole face of the claw into contact with the sloping roid surface. This of course throws the ship out of line with the CoM, but that's why you have the pivot. Once grabbed, unlock the pivot, rotate the ship back to line up with the CoM, then lock the pivot.

You have to remember when grabbing an asteroid to "arm" the Claw before touching the asteroid; when it's armed you can see hooks coming out of it, when it's disarmed the hooks are shrouded like they are in the VAB. In order to let go of an asteroid you've grabbed onto, you have to disarm the Claw.

You can arm and disarm the Claw by right-clicking on it and selecting the option in the pop up menu, or you can set an action group key to toggle between armed and disarmed.

-- Steve

you don't have to be that gentle. i think it's more important that the claw itself is going to hit perpendicular to a flatish surface on the asteroid...

i went straight into a flat side of one with the arm at 1.5-2.0 m/s and it worked flawlessly.

however another time i was a bit sideways going at 0.2 m/s and my craft just went out of control.

ymmv

• 6 years later...

So I did a fresh install of 1.8.1 with just a few mods. Spend all morning designing a refuelstation. Fist mechJeb broke no maneuvers no warping, only node creation worked partwise, secondly I could not click my own orbital path to create maneuvers. And last point, my armed grabbing unit just goes through the 1st meter of the astroid at 0.3ms forward directed velocity only and then bounces back. I gonna uninstall from my laptop again hahaha (dont worry still have it on my Desktop PC)
NVM worked in the end

Seeing how most of this is answered in other threads, and the Klaw has had a few bugs fixed since this thread was originated, we'll just lock this one down.   If you have fresh issues with more recent versions, it's probably best to start a new thread.