KVV - Kronal Vessel Viewer = Exploded ship view + Axes on the VAB + other stuff: now released into public domain

kronal

So I downloaded this mod (tool?) from the Kerbal Stuff. It works fine until... well, until I need it to work: as soon as I open the window, the game runs at like 2fps or less (I haven't measured them, but it's really slooow). If I close the window or load a new plane, it solves the problem.

I copied the KronalUtils folder to the Game Data Folder. I'm using a laptop with Win7 Home Premium 64bit, 6GB Ram, Intel i7 @1.6, NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M. The grapgics settings are as low as possible.

Any idea why this happens, and how to solve it?

Any help, please?

I'm going to post this here for now. This is the fix that kills the transparency issue with KVV. "Fixed by enneract". It has been working fine for me so far. This is just the KronalUtils.dll so you just need to replace your old one with this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Jt8ZlkESO1VFZvVDFsR1ZVcGs/view?usp=sharing

My first guess would be that when KVV's shaders kick on its giving that 230M mobile card a real run for its money.

So you mean I can play games (I've played Battlefield Bad Company 2, Crysis, CODs, EVE Online, WOW, etc) but I can't make a skecth-like picture?

This is something i've wanted for a long, long time, only .... I can't get it to appear in KSP 0.25. It drives me nuts. I've tried it with several mods, then in a bare KSP.

Has anybody had the same and found the cause? (because i seem to be unable to spot the problem)

This is something i've wanted for a long, long time, only .... I can't get it to appear in KSP 0.25. It drives me nuts. I've tried it with several mods, then in a bare KSP.

Has anybody had the same and found the cause? (because i seem to be unable to spot the problem)

Try installing this on a clean install: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/224287-kronal-vessel-viewer-kvv-exploded-ship-view

Yes download from Curse, not the 1st post! It is now maintained by bigorangemachine.

This working with 0.25?

It works

I have a question - is there a way to save settings? each time i load a ship, the settings reset. I can cope with it, just a bit uncomfortable :b

So you mean I can play games (I've played Battlefield Bad Company 2, Crysis, CODs, EVE Online, WOW, etc) but I can't make a skecth-like picture?

tasks.png

KVV does some reasonably expensive things each draw cycle in order to 'trick' the game into also rendering the 2d image. I would not expect it to cause that kind of massive FPS drop, but the 230M is an old and slow gpu; if you are marginal on running the game anyway, it isn't unbelievable that it would.

Edited by enneract

Implemented fix from GitHub:fingerboxes and posted as a pre-release.

Should be considered stable; however mod 'eco-system' of Module Manager 2.5.2 is causing a consistent crashing issue with Windows 64 Bit (non-OpenGL). I am unable to replicate original issue (see through shader rendering or other weird shadow glitches) however I have seen many other posts confirming similar rendering issues with KVV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing that took me a little while to figure out, since this is a change from whatever version of KVV I had been using before, which I think used the term "exploded" -- to get the ship into exploded view, you have to click the "offset" button at the top (and then, once you have your screenshot, click "revert" to put the parts back, unless you feel like flying a rocket that looks like it's offset -- which will fly, but may not be as structurally strong as before).

One thing that took me a little while to figure out, since this is a change from whatever version of KVV I had been using before, which I think used the term "exploded" -- to get the ship into exploded view, you have to click the "offset" button at the top (and then, once you have your screenshot, click "revert" to put the parts back, unless you feel like flying a rocket that looks like it's offset -- which will fly, but may not be as structurally strong as before).

That was mentioned in one of the patch notes. Exploded view just didn't seem to fit correctly and didn't sound technical.

Hey B.O.M. The newest version sure runs slow, even after the UI has been closed, even with preview off. Might ya know why?

Thats probably the shader loadings (fingerboxes patch). Which parts are slow specifically? When you enter the VAB/SPH? If so that'd make sense. Seems like a necessary evil to avoid the shader issue.

Thats probably the shader loadings (fingerboxes patch). Which parts are slow specifically? When you enter the VAB/SPH? If so that'd make sense. Seems like a necessary evil to avoid the shader issue.

It gets very choppy and slow right after opening the KVV window the first time in VAB. It stays choppy even after closing KVV. I have to re-load the vessel for it to clear up. I'm guessing the shaders are being loaded on every frame?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.