• bahamutoD
    • Orionkermin
    • mordin86
    • Orionkermin
    • Snjo
    • Tiberion
    • Capt.Kipard
    • StarVision

Thanks for pointing at that bezier curve thing, I've always been making these types of things manually or with an armature, I'll have to try out this method.

YW. Believe it or not I knew that this could be easily done for years, but this is the first time I actually had an opportunity to use it, lol

Snjo

Could you please comment your code heavily for people who've never coded for unity before?

In the very beginning.

So many people joining. This is so cool! :D

I should have made my RCS much smaller too.. well its too late to turn back now :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Now, I imported it into the game, and came across a bug that I've never seen from making over 10 parts.

Everything works fine except: in the part browser, when you hover over the box the model sits in, but not on the model itself, it starts scaling up uncontrollably and ArgumentOutOfRange exceptions start filling the debug log. Also for some reason, the model in the tooltip thumbnail is my BT part. Has anyone seen this/know of a fix?

Edit: After seeing how small the part was in the game, I deleted any loopcuts I could without messing up the texture wrap, or making it look too much worse from a reasonable distance. Was able to reduce tri count from about 5k to 2.5k.

Edited by BahamutoD

I should have made my RCS much smaller too.. well its too late to turn back now :P

http://imgur.com/a/6PNLI

Now, I imported it into the game, and came across a bug that I've never seen from making over 10 parts.

Everything works fine except: in the part browser, when you hover over the box the model sits in, but not on the model itself, it starts scaling up uncontrollably and ArgumentOutOfRange exceptions start filling the debug log. Also for some reason, the model in the tooltip thumbnail is my BT part. Has anyone seen this/know of a fix?

http://imgur.com/a/gqq4J

I had the exact same thing. I removed the fuel tank resource nodes in the cfg for now. Maybe I just used the wrong resource name?

edit: Talked to InfiniteDice. He says any part with more than 2 resources will freak out. That might be pretty bad!

edit 2: there is a known problem which this thread describes, and purportedly fixes: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63109-0-23-Modulefixer

Edited by Snjo

I suggest that instead of adding nasty hacks to parts the person who compiles this mod (frizzank I guess) redistributes the module fixer along with it.

Probably, but ModuleSAS is pretty harmless. I don't think it does much without a ModuleReactonWheel coupled with it.

It would only give "flight compute" function for free if you happened to be using a probe body without SAS in its config.

You can use any dummy module though, we went with a zero thrust ModuleRCS in the NovaPunch parts back when the bug was first figured out, but you could do a zero torque/power reaction wheel or engine as well.

And using a couple extra lines in the config is much preferred to distributing a plugin with tiny parts like these, imo.

Is there any agreed on density or volume data for all the resources?

Greys did some figuring based on the capacities of the stock tanks HERE when helping me balance my spherical tanks, and those are the numbers that I generally aim towards when making tanks myself. That was done almost a year ago, but I don't think any significant changes have been made that would affect it.

-edit: Changes other than adding more, huge tanks that aren't taking into consideration... I guess I should have thought about that :)

Edited by Talisar

Cardinal I think this is better suited for the Requests subforum because it involves programming.

I did already state that it would involve a plugin. I had the impression that frizzank also had a need for creators of plugins.

I would like to focus on the art side of creating parts for Kerbal and their proper integration into the game. If someone wants to do a plugin or code one that would be awesome as well.

So I was venting an idea which i had and hoped to get some feedback to see if it was a good idea.

Since no one responded to the idea, it must have been a bad one. Shame, it would have been a nice puzzle for me to solve in order to get some experience in C sharp. Sorry for bothering anyone, i won't make that mistake again.

Edited by TheCardinal

I did already state that it would involve a plugin. I had the impression that frizzank also had a need for creators of plugins.

So I was venting an idea which i had and hoped to get some feedback to see if it was a good idea.

Since no one responded to the idea, it must have been a bad one. Shame, it would have been a nice puzzle for me to solve in order to get some experience in C sharp. Sorry for bothering anyone, i won't make that mistake again.

I didn't think it was a bad idea at all, but I couldn't see how you would make it apparent visually that there are sections inside the tank.

If you want to look at some code inprogress that deal with fuel levels, this is where I am currently at: https://github.com/snjo/FStriTank/blob/master/FStriTank/FSTTfuelLevel.cs

Edited by Snjo

I didn't think it was a bad idea at all, but I couldn't see how you would make it apparent visually that there are sections inside the tank.

If you want to look at some code inprogress that deal with fuel levels, this is where I am currently at: https://github.com/snjo/FStriTank/blob/master/FStriTank/FSTTfuelLevel.cs

Thank you for the code, i'll take a look at it.

On the subject of the sections in the tank being visually apparent, the tank should receive a color coding matching the fuels/rcs. And thinking of it, it doesn't need to be restricted to three types. It could well be(come) a general purpose tank filled with anything in any combination. The downside of this would be a higher empty mass.

Greys did some figuring based on the capacities of the stock tanks HERE when helping me balance my spherical tanks, and those are the numbers that I generally aim towards when making tanks myself. That was done almost a year ago, but I don't think any significant changes have been made that would affect it.

-edit: Changes other than adding more, huge tanks that aren't taking into consideration... I guess I should have thought about that :)

Thanks Talisar.

---------------------

Texturing done, kind of, almost.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Here's my current progress. I've never actually baked anything onto textures before, so I've already learned something. I've gone through many iterations, but I'm pretty happy with this one so far. It's around 700 Tris. I'll probably try get some colour markings on the tanks, just to make it more interesting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.