Better Atmospheres Development Thread

WOW. Really well done. I'm still trying to figure out how you are doing the terminator stuff though. When I replace the shaders this kind of lighting will be built-in, and I should be able to get shadows to be cast on things. Are there any specific items you would like to see in the shaders built-in without having to create a layer for?

Minlight + 6 + completely white PNG = Terminator.

I dunno, probably just atmospheric shading.

Minlight + 6 + completely white PNG = Terminator.

I dunno, probably just atmospheric shading.

How is the light-facing part transparent? That is the thing I can't figure out. I'm pretty sure the shader shouldn't be doing that :)

Atmospheric shading as in adding an additive color? Or something else?

How is the light-facing part transparent? That is the thing I can't figure out. I'm pretty sure the shader shouldn't be doing that :)

Atmospheric shading as in adding an additive color? Or something else?

Pretty much what my mod is doing. Basically making the planet have a tint like mine does. But way more complex or something i really don't know. Here's the settings if you want to see:

hz6TUXO.png

How about some Jool phases from Vall?

output_t1w2tz.gif

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Are you going full release with the next version? Because this needs way more attention :D

Anyway , I have no ideas for AFG right now .

Btw I am still not sure what to think of the Minmus Sea Fog... I mean why should fog arise from frozen seas on a atmosphere less moon. Or is this only happening on the sunlit side? That would mean it is probably little ice particles breaking of due to sun heating (though that would mean minmus seas would dissappear after a while :D)

Yep, it will still get worked on, but it will go full release.

Eh, it just looks amazing and makes minmus spoopy.

Pretty much what my mod is doing. Basically making the planet have a tint like mine does. But way more complex or something i really don't know. Here's the settings if you want to see:

http://i.imgur.com/hz6TUXO.png

How about some Jool phases from Vall?

http://gifmaker.me/files/download/home/20140418/05/CJUHhL1vBxBSu1gpxelzuI/output_t1w2tz.gif

Oh, I see, it is semi-transparent and it is the same layer you are using for the atmosphere tint. Cool!

Oh, I see, it is semi-transparent and it is the same layer you are using for the atmosphere tint. Cool!

Oh, and when auroras come back, will they be made the same way as before, or will it be a different way? Some of my stuff needs a high lighting on ONE side, but if they come back the same way as before, then that will screw all of my stuff up.

Oh, and when auroras come back, will they be made the same way as before, or will it be a different way? Some of my stuff needs a high lighting on ONE side, but if they come back the same way as before, then that will screw all of my stuff up.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Auroras will likely be their own separate entity.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Auroras will likely be their own separate entity.

Ah, alright. I was just saying, to make auroras before, you would set minlight to 1 to make it bright on both day side, and night side. But as you can see, my layers have minlight to 6...You can probably see where I'm going with this. Oh also, I think vall has an altitude bug on cloud layers.

Anyway, I've used AFG to get rid of the needless amount of white from Kerbin's atmo, and I'll continue to think of some new ideas, for now, we wait on erona(City lights detail) and pingopete(Multiple clouds layers). Then I'll probably release this sucker unless we get some new ideas

Ah, alright. I was just saying, to make auroras before, you would set minlight to 1 to make it bright on both day side, and night side. But as you can see, my layers have minlight to 6...You can probably see where I'm going with this. Oh also, I think vall has an altitude bug on cloud layers.

Anyway, I've used AFG to get rid of the needless amount of white from Kerbin's atmo, and I'll continue to think of some new ideas, for now, we wait on erona(City lights detail) and pingopete(Multiple clouds layers). Then I'll probably release this sucker unless we get some new ideas

Sounds good. Won't be for quite a while that I release a new version. Between the re-factoring and new features I'm going to be busy for a long time.

Okay, so your atmosphere just accents the difference because it's so much darker than stock. The "unbearable" part probably came from the fact that I was playing in a dark room at 1 AM after a tiring day :P

It's definitely the dark clouds at the surface. I removed the atmosphere for a test, it was still brighter than the sky.

I did get sleep...Doesn't change the contrast issue though. It's still there, just not as "OH GOD WHY?" now.

Removing the BA atmosphere certainly makes a difference. But I like the BA atmosphere, so my one little probe down there will have to deal with it.