[0.23.5] KerbQuake 1.21 - Reactive Camera Shakes while IVA [5/4/14]

Sir Haxington

I'm thinking this would rank alongside Chatterer as a must-have; "totally useless, totally fun" (a good thing).

Erm, that might sound a bit underwhelming - it's not meant to be but it's late and I can't think how to phrase my praise better. Thank you.

@pingopete: I'd be cool to do more shake through clouds and maxQ, the trouble is detecting if those things exist, etc. I'm trying to keep the mod as light as possible for now.

@kiwiak: I've thought about adding sounds. They'd be little rattles mostly. Currently, anything with a huge shake factor has an associated sound (re-entry, engines on full blast, launch clamps detaching, etc). It shouldn't be too terribly difficult, probably in a future update.

@BahamutoD, @ NathanKell: Yeah, SRB shaking more should be an easy one to knock out, I'll add it to the short list.

@Pecan: Heh, thanks. Yeah, this is meant to be purely a fun thing to make IVA flying feel a bit more real so I take it as a complement :)

@ObsessedWithKSP: Thanks for the video! :D I was going to do one last night but pooped out, I added it to the front page (hope you don't mind) and I'll probably do one later that shows off each feature, etc.

I'm thinking this would rank alongside Chatterer as a must-have; "totally useless, totally fun" (a good thing).

Erm, that might sound a bit underwhelming - it's not meant to be but it's late and I can't think how to phrase my praise better. Thank you.

Yes. That sentiment is very interesting in the context of this game. I wouldn't say useless. I would say: neither mod (chatterer and KerbQuake) add that much information to your experience. Chatterer chatter is meaningless, of course. And most of the shaking doesn't need to be happening to tell you what is going on with your craft.

But the amount of immersion that is added is disproportionately increased. Small information, huge immersion.

I love these kinds of mods.

I did a quick glance over your source code, and I think it might be possible to take vessel.acceleration and somehow apply it to the camera.transform.localposition in the opposite direction so you get that g-force effect.

@BahamutoD: Yeah, I was thinking about it, I'd have to write some "spring" code to deal with the acceleration / g forces. Currently my code is pretty cheap, it just randomizes some rotation and positions within certain bounds based on a situation and that gets assigned every frame. If someone wants to take this and play around with it, feel free! I'm not precious about any of this.

@ObsessedWithKSP: Thanks for the video! :D I was going to do one last night but pooped out, I added it to the front page (hope you don't mind) and I'll probably do one later that shows off each feature, etc.

Not at all! I was actually going to ask you if you wanted it there until such times as someone makes a better one, heheh. There's a lot more to this mod than I recorded but I ran out of time to do anything other than a quick flight. Re-entry in particular is certainly a fun experience. Thanks for adding the video in your post anyway! :D

@pingopete: I'd be cool to do more shake through clouds and maxQ, the trouble is detecting if those things exist, etc. I'm trying to keep the mod as light as possible for now.

Yes, before this mod came out I'd been wandering about how this could be done. FAR already has a model build for Maximum Aerodynamic pressure scaling, I'm sure the scripting for it is there, you should talk to mr Ferram! ;P

Also rbray has already scripted volumetrics to fade in and out at different distances, so again the value for scripting may well be there already :) Weather or not you can incorperate it is another question, I certainly could not! :D

Oh gods, last night I installed FAR, stuck my first Mun landing this save, then came in for (deadly)reentry in the ALCOR capsule. The screen was shaking so hard I could barely push cockpit buttons. It was absolutely terrifying and entirely wonderful.

KerbQuake 1.1

Rovers

• Wheeled vehicles will shake while moving over terrain (this probably includes planes, haven't tested).

-----------------

Just tried this, if I'm honest I found it a little lackluster for driving rovers. It does move, but not very much. It'd benefit a lot from being able to detect:

A) am I driving on a PQScity object or the terrain (vibration multipler on terrain obviously)

B) Sprung camera, as nothke suggested on the first page. Camera still feels very static despite the added vibration. Reading acceleration or velocity changes should help. You could even just lerp the camera around and shunt it at every large acceleration if you want to avoid the sprung camera.

It's a step in the right direction, but I think it needs some more work done. Keep it up!

Grats on the release! If I may make a suggestion though: why not cache the modules you're interested in? Currently, you loop through every module of every part on the active vessel twice per Update(). Instead, you could keep lists of the types of modules you're interested in and just rebuild them whenever the vessel changed. It'd simplify your main logic and save some extra cpu time too

List<ModuleParachute> parachutes;
// etc

// GameEvents.OnVesselWasModified
public void OnVesselModified(Vessel vessel)
{
if (vessel == FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel)
{
parachutes = vessel.FindPartModulesImplementing<ModuleParachute>();
// etc
}
}

public void Update()
{
// do parachute stuff
foreach (var parachuteModule in parachutes)
... // your logic
}

Locally I fixed up the SRBs to have more kick. The overall engine thrust cap is still the same, you just hit it faster using SRBs.

@TouhouTorpedo: I played around with rover / plane stuff tonight. I got it feeling more shaky on terrain, but less if you're on the runway / launch pad. I tested it on the Mun and it felt decent, maybe it needs a little more. I don't want it to be too crazy though since you're generally not going that fast anyway. I also found some bugs with the landing gear, so now planes should feel bumpy as well (they weren't doing anything before). It felt cool to have it be bumpy on the runway -> smooth in the air -> bumpy as speed went up in low atmosphere -> smooth again at higher atmospheres -> really bumpy landing in the middle of no where.

@xEvilReeperx: Yeah, a refactor is needed, probably on a large update (if i do the spring thing... I played some with it tonight but I couldn't make sense of the acceleration values the game spits out).

@ObsessedWithKSP: I tried tried window clicking / zoom and it seemed to work for me. Try a bigger engine and let me know if it's still not working.

I'll probably tinker with it a bit more and do an update in the next few days.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.