Star Trek Enterprise

KvickFlygarn87

i hate to say it but i liked a lot of the seldom seen ships that have never been named enterprise. the miranda class is one of my favorites, there was also the nebula class in tng. ive always been a fan of klingon designs from tos through the movies and tng romulan designs. borg designs were kind of cool but also seemed kinda cheap to me, i think they could have come up with designs better than 'weld a bunch of crap together in a geometric configuration'.

I am the stepson of Cpt Picard so to speak. I grew up with TNG on its first TV run in Germany. Lots of very good stories and moral plots.

Although watching the first season after you had the really good later ones ... lets say you can tell how much everything improved with time.

TOS, the mother of it all, I watched some of the movies with my father before I got to see TNG, so TOS looked a bit strange at first, as I got to know the characters on a cinema budget. :wink:

But it has good stories and if you cannot stand 60s FX try the remastered edition for CGI space scenes.

DS9 is - after surviving the first politically saturated Bajor plot - showing more of the military side of Starfleet.

We had wars and conflicts in every other series, too. But DS9 took it up several levels!

VOY - well, they killed the menace here - and its menace too - namely the Borg and Species 8472 ... one little ship just could beat them all.

Some stories are really good, it has the same tough start as DS9 though.

ENT had a good premise, but they deviated a bit much - not on a JJ level, but still - from canon, and if there is something that Star Trek fans love, it is their canon! :wink:

To sum it up, all got their fair share of good stories and likable characters. I just tend to prefer TNG and DS9 for their "close to earth" setting and more believable tech level.

and showed that the federation has more blood on their hands than what we are lead to believe.

"Because I can live with it."

Plus Section 31 of course.

Well...

I loved Enterprise, it's closer to our time and way of thinking, but still a Star Trek.

Deep Space 9 - "In pale moonlight" If I remember correctly, it's been voted the best star trek episode ever.

TNG: Friend and I are watching it for a couple of months now, when we have time, still on first Season, I'll tell you my oppinion in a few years :D

TOS... it's a classic!

Voyager... boring. I couldn't stand it really. I'm usually stubborn to the point of masochism and really hate stopping in the middle of something that I start, but I couldn't watch this to the end.

They just had too many stuff extracted from their rear orrifices to repair faulty writing...

To mention another positive thing about ENT:

It has (IMHO) the second best intro of all Star trek series

(with the best, by far, being the one of DS9 and the intros of all other Star Trek series falling far behind the ones of DS9 and ENT )

TOS is the best for me. I watched and enjoyed TNG and DS9, Voyager and Enterprise I liked less.

The big difference for me is that TOS was made despite the system, while the others were made by the system. Roddenberry used the camouflage of a Western set in space to sneak commentary about controversial issues of the time onto primetime TV, like racism, the Cold War, and the conflict in Vietnam. The later series, while more polished, were less adventurous in their subject matter.

To really enjoy TOS, you kinda have to ignore Shatner's ridiculous overacting and focus on the interplay between Spock and McCoy, a great metaphor for the conflict we all have between our rational and irrational sides. And you do need a high tolerance for low production values, especially compared to modern CGI effects.

One of the great things about TOS what that it was so ahead of its time in terms of thinking. I won't rehash what Red Iron Crown said but one of the big things was that it had the first interracial kiss on screen. That sort of forward thinking is hard to come by today because of the way society is going, aside from religion (LGBT will have full rights within the decade at a worst case) and Asylum seekers here in Australia (not sure about rest of the world) there aren't many controversial issues to be tackled as there were when the showed aired. As such the writing had to change with the time (could be seen as a good thing) so it is much more difficult to have that much of a cultural impact.

Let's not get murderous, shall we? :)

By the way, what's with all the periods? You had, according to a rough count, a couple gazillion.

Its my style, thanks to having grown up reading comics... Ok??? ... seriously... live... with... it... :)

The problem with Enterprise, at least from what I have picked up from SFDebris (I didn't watch too much of Star trek and have no particular love for the franchise, despite my username) the different teams of writers on ENT couldn't stand each other. This lead to a whole lot of characterisation inconsistensies. And that there where episodes who focused on that stupid dog (urgh, Night at Sickbay). That the final episode of the series pretty much destroyed any sort of relevance the series had for the franchise didn't help either.

Anything you say is biased, who the hell let a Klingon in here anyhow? :)

And to some of you others... DS9... the only problem I had with that series, really, was the fact that Star Fleet would allow a mere Captain the power to declare war on anyone, let alone the Dominion...

:)

Its my style, thanks to having grown up reading comics... Ok??? ... seriously... live... with... it... :)

Anything you say is biased, who the hell let a Klingon in here anyhow? :)

And to some of you others... DS9... the only problem I had with that series, really, was the fact that Star Fleet would allow a mere Captain the power to declare war on anyone, let alone the Dominion...

:)

At that point the majority of the alpha quadrant powers had a non aggression pact signed with them. (traitors) They were sending fleets through and getting a larger and larger fleet of ships and troops. As is stood the two major powers were just holding them off if they would have left them alone for even a few months they would have been overrun.

...one of the big things was that it had the first interracial kiss on screen.

Not true, first interracial kiss on TV was between Nancy Sinatra and Sammy Davis JR on a TV special called "Movin' with Nancy."

First on film was back in 1957 in the movie "Island in the Sun"

Out of the series I find TNG to be the best. It focuses not on action and flashy things going boom in space, but on plot and philosophical questions.

Also, Voyager was good in my opinion, but in a different way. If you are new to Trek, I propose starting with TNG, then moving to either Voyager or TOS. Starting with TOS can be a bit harsh for someone who is expecting... more modern scifi.

I was also disappointed with Enterprise. DS9 was also something that I did not get into really.

Actually, it was the first interracial kiss on American television. Which is still pretty good.

Fun fact, it only became that because the cast wanted it to happen. They shot the scene two ways and they sabotaged the "acceptable" one forcing them to use the one we all know.

Like many others, I find TNG to be the best Trek series to date, possibly ever (see below). Running a close second is DS9, which attempted a large scale multi-season story (unfortunately for it, it shared many ideas and themes with Babylon 5, which led to the inevitable comparison and contrast with the two). TOS sits in at third place, but only because it has aged.

I found Voyager entertaining, and capable of good moments, but it was a poorer series than anything that came before it. It had a number of nonsensical episodes, many of which had the worst science in them ("Threshold", anyone?), and it perpetuated or added some of the worst concepts ever tacked onto the Borg (the Queen, Unimatrix Zero, Species 8472 and Fluidic Space... I could go on). And while Jeri Ryan is a good actress, I found the character of 7 of 9 played up for *** appeal in promotional material to be off-putting.

Enterprise meant well. Showing us the birth of the Federation, Starfleet before all the cool toys, etc... but to me it represents the beginning of the rot that Abrams' Trek movies have effectively canonized. Far too sexualized (the decon scenes, to name one example). Too much mindless action and equally mindless overplots: the Temporal Cold War had a lot of buildup, but no real payoff, and the Xindi arc was a blatant and poor attempt to address the mass insanity that followed 9/11. While I can understand the desire by the writers to say something Deep and Meaningful about what was happening around them, they really should have taken a page from TOS and dealt with it in small doses, rather than subjected us to an entire season of it. And the final episode, "These are the Voyages" was an embarrassment, which had the dubious honor of not only sinking the franchise but taking one of the best TNG episodes - "The Pegasus" - down with it.

Both Enterprise and the Abrams movies have convinced me that we will never again see a good Star Trek series or movie, at least not this generation. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but it's almost as if, when we crossed into the 21st Century, TV and Movie producers decided they didn't want to think or remember - they accepted simple plots, simple solutions, and gave simple answers to simple questions. Abrams especially has done much to reverse all of the progress in racial and sexual equality that TNG and DS9 spent close to 14 years building - a very troubling sign as Star Trek has been in some ways a measure on how American society views itself. More and more people are fed up with racism and sexism - and getting vocal about it - so if Trek continues to embrace those qualities, it will find itself without fans fast.

I liked Enterprise at first, but right after 9/11 the plots shifted to interstellar terrorism and I quickly lost interest.

TNG remains my favorite, but I tend to like "thinking man's SF" more than space opera.

TNG: Best, superb cast and well written. Very few dud episodes, and some all-time great TV e.g. The Measure of a Man.

DS9: Some great, gritty stuff once the cast found their feet, but finished badly. S5 was it's peak iirc.

TOS: Haven't seen enough of, some great movies though (the even ones)

Voyager: Tried to follow on from TNG but simply didn't have the cast or scripts. Had its moments but too much mediocrity. Some characters never got anything to do. Best character by a mile was the Doctor - all eps featuring him as lead are worth watching.

Enterprise: Started tamely and never got any better. Ended up ripping off other ST stories and even movies. So much stuff they could have done about birth if federation with the races already known without that temporal nonsense. Scott Bacula was hammier than a pig farm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.