[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

Fantastic work! What tool do you use for modelling?

Thanks! :) I am using Blender for modelling. You can really do much with it, and it is free! :)

Edit: Oh, and the 4.1 release will be postponed until the 1.0.3 release, simply due to the fact that they stated they were revising the heat system (and if I remember correctly, they also said that they were changing the atmosphere again a bit), and it wouldn't make any sense to work it out now perfectly, if they are changing the atmosphere and heat system again. Hope you guys understand this, sorry, I know it takes much much much too long, but I don't want to redo things several times, only because the guys up there changed something!

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

Well, after those "excellent news", that KSP is coming to PS4, and that it "totally won't affect the PC version development", I decided to go ahead with reconfiguring the rockets for 1.0, you never know how things turn out. Anyway, here is the Atlas V.

Atlas V for KSP 1.0.2 compatability update

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS ONLY A TEST VERSION!

5AdhmqJ.png

Use on your own risk, though there shouldn't be any game-braking bugs. Though you never know. :P The Atlas V is heavily rebalanced, the major things are:

• Thrust and Propellant of Common Core Booster reduced

• Mass of almost all parts increased
  • Thrust of RL-10 upper stage engine increased to 100kN, resulting in shorter orbital insertions
  • AJ-62 SRB's now have gimbals to compensate for asymmetrical number of boosters on each side
  • Rocket performances are now much more like the performance of the real rocket:

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Version[/TD]

[TD]Payload to LEO (Real)[/TD]

[TD]Payload to LKO (KSP)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]401[/TD]

[TD]9.8t[/TD]

[TD]6.27t[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]501[/TD]

[TD]8.21t[/TD]

[TD]5.25t[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Yeah, as you can see, I've balanced it that way that it meets almost exactly the real performance if you scale it down to 64%
:)

Please report what you think what needs to be changed!

DOWNLOAD

I ran into an issue where the Delta K gimbal is inverted, meaning that if you steer to the right the stage goes to the left, when you steer up it gets down. This is a really *fascinating* phenomene, because it doesn't appear everytime, it only appears sometimes, but often enough that it appears in every flight, but not the whole time. I have absolutely no idea what's causing this, I already had something similar with the Atlas V Centaur, but only one or two times, which is really strange, it didn't happen in 0.90 before, and as far as I know Squad didn't change anything on the gimbal module. Nah, anyway, I wasn't sure if it could have something to do with the fact that the engine and tank is one single part, so I just splitted the engine from the rest of Delta K. As I did that, I realized how ugly the AJ10-118K engine was!

So I reworked it, it is the first "high poly" part I am fabricating for this mod, meaning that it has 48 sides, in relation to the other parts, which all still have 24 sides as normal KSP parts, some modifiers on it which makes it look even better and more smooth.. though it has no memory impact, from the side of the model! Of course, I also made a complete new texture, and I think it looks much much better now!

EpiIV5S.png

Dlw9lbw.png

I will see if that makes a difference in gimballing, if not, you at least have a new engine! ;)

Thanks you two!

Did someone already test Atlas V in KSP 1.0.3? Any new bugs? How is it flying? I can't update to 1.0.3 until tomorrow, and would like to know if everything is still working.

On development side, the engine works now, it has its own FX (for those who don't want to use the Smokescreen and Hotrockets FX) now. I will remake some parts of the Delta K upper stage, such as the ACS (it is terrible, a) it is offcentered, meaning that the thrust won't be there where it should be, and B) it is just not right. If you looked clother at it, it has 12 nozzles pointing all in one direction, and even if I haven't really seen any images of its ACS, I am sure that this is definetely not right. :P

Falcon 1 won't be supported anymore, and won't be included in the next Launchers Pack version. It is just too ugly, and it will get a remake soon once I got Falcon 9 finished for texturing. Kestrel will be seperated from the 2nd stage tank, 1000% better models (:P) and of course better textures.

From a first look the development version of the Atlas V works perfectly! I built and launched an Atlas V 401 for a quick trip to the Mun with an FL-R1 RCS tank as a payload. No problems were detected. It flies like a charm! :)

I will try later with different launch configurations to confirm that everything works 100%.

Tested on a Stock + SmokeScreen + LaunchersPack (Atlas V Dev) installation.

OK fine reese1221.

OMG IT'S SO BIG

http://i.imgur.com/dq6Pp8a.png

http://i.imgur.com/aXlBrBt.png

Almost done with UV unwrapping, though I am still working on the RS-68 engine, it is so complex!:sealed: Just sended the Delta IV to our texturer!

damn, lol. also my whole ksp file was corrupted so i reinstalled everything including the atlas v and it works now

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or are the Atlas V and Delta II difficult to control, even with MechJeb? It's as if they're very sensitive to pitching over.

EDIT: It seems to me that the fairings could be the problem; have they been configured to properly shield parts?

Edited by AppleDavidJeans

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.