Silliest Reason You Ever Heard?

NASAFanboy

What's the silliest reason you ever heard as to why humanity cannot travel to deep space destinations made by people who have no clue about space exploration?

Mine was that the sky on Mars is similar to the ground, and because of that, any crew landing on Mars won't be able to tell the sky from the surface and won't be able to walk out of their habitat without thinking they were upside down and throwing up inside a spacesuit. This wasn't made by a child either. Oh, how my faith in humanity has fallen.

We just shouldn't. It's not in our destiny. The fact that there is no life on a lot of these rocks means that there shouldn't be. (He didn't care for my reply that maybe it was humanity's destiny to bring life to places it almost certainly otherwise never have been.)

Not to religify the thread, but: "God created Earth for Man." Even if you believe in such things, what were the other planets created for?

I agree they were made for us to move to and some may be the second earth in revelations and one may be heaven. Some may be for aliens.

this is actually true for not advanced spacecraft

Define "not advanced".

Every spacecraft we've ever used has been advanced enough not to be vaporized, and anything less advanced isn't really a "spacecraft".

Some absolutely unintelligent individual I met in highschool simply said she didn't believe in space. Although I definitely think she was unintelligent enough to legitimately hold this belief, when I pressed her further, I got the distinct impression she was just being difficult, so this reason might need an asterisk.

It wasn't serious, but someone suggested that people can't survive away from the Earth because the Earth sustains them, meaning that the ISS is there, but the Moon landings were faked.

That's, ironically, one of the most valid reasons. We don't have the technology(Yet) to survive indefinitely, independently away from earth.

On the other hand it could be argued that most people don't have the ability to survive indefinitely, independently on earth. No deliveries of groceries from the local store and most people would die.

If the sun will vaporize your spacecraft without a atmosphere, then it's not a spacecraft...

Lol that's what I said!

And my brother thinks that if EVERYTHING has gravity, then they all suck together and stuff, I've tried explaining it to him, like that if you were to set two hats in space, EVENTUALLY they'd drift together, but noooooooo he has to be his stubborn self and think that I'm wrong,

But I'm the physics expert in my family, he refuses to recognize that.

Not to religify the thread, but: "God created Earth for Man." Even if you believe in such things, what were the other planets created for?

To explore, terraform, and populate (all three of which we are currently/somewhat capable of. Also why I don't believe in rapture: if God created this world/humanity just to destroy it, why would he create it in the first place (we may not know all of his reasons for doing certain things, but he certainly ain't stupid)?)

• 2 weeks later...

I still dint understand how people think that we are stuck on Earth and shouldn't go colonize because we have to fix Earth up first.

Well screw it. Let's abandon Earth instead and move our industries into space, it'll fix itself faster than it would if we kept trying to "help" this shoddy mudball of a planet.

Agreed, by that standard we'll never go anywhere. There will always be things that need fixing down here.

I always tell the people who say that stuff .. The solutions to the world's problems are up there. Not down here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.