[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

Klipper flaps attached thusly:

2vdjxhw.jpg

Barreling down the runway, after engine cutoff, FULL pulling-back deflection on controls - flaps don't move, craft stays grounded.

1gq5mu.jpg

I'm sure I've done something wrong, but for the life of me can't figure out what.

For context - the exact same craft, using "Elevon 4" instead of the Lynx flaps takes off and flies great (but looks horrible, of course).

Edited by tjsnh

I'm trying the kliper with your updated configs - how/where are the flaps intended to attach?

I can't seem to get them to work - attaching them at the back of the wings, as normal flaps, yields nothing - they dont act as control surfaces.

(stock, no FAR)

Hi tjsnh, Thank you for the feedback. Can you list your other mods? Are they not moving at all?
Got a screenshot of how you attempt to attach them? Working well for me. :)
Me too.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vdjxhw.jpg

Barreling down the runway, after engine cutoff, FULL pulling-back deflection on controls - flaps don't move, craft stays grounded.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/1gq5mu.jpg

I'm sure I've done something wrong, but for the life of me can't figure out what.

For context - the exact same craft, using "Elevon 4" instead of the Lynx flaps takes off and flies great (but looks horrible, of course).

You are not doing anything wrong. The Kliper is not designed to take off horizontally: it is a reentry vehicle. It's only meant to glide downwards, and it will not have enough lift (under normal circumstances) to take off like a plane.

The other problem is that the flaps are too small to do much good. Beale and I have already exchanged messages about a possible new design for the wings/flaps. Hopefully when he is less busy we will see larger, inline flaps so that the control surfaces have more effect.

Odd problem. I made a lander with the "Libra" parts. Good enough.

It keeps disappearing on the Mun, leaving debris...

I found the problem. I landed another vehicle nearby to make a base. All good, come back, Base module is there, my "Bug" lander is just gone, poof. Tried again, but this time I actually quick saved. Same thing happened, but when I reloaded the save and checked, the Libra lander had the Libra.Leg.A part not deployed… Switch back to KSC, for a while (long enough for a persistent save), and Bug is gone. Reload save. Deploy legs. Leave scene. Can return to Bug… if I have a persistent save, and load it (quit, restart), then the legs are stowed again.

What happens is it is stable, but when it reloads with the legs tucked in, it must fall over (maybe KSP treats it as "suborbital" for an instant?).

I checked a quick save with legs deployed, and the next persistent file...

Quicksave:

{ LowerLeg

{

active = False

guiActive = True

guiIcon = Lower Legs

guiName = Lower Legs

category = Lower Legs

guiActiveUnfocused = True

unfocusedRange = 4

externalToEVAOnly = True

}

RaiseLeg

{

active = True

Persistent:

{

LowerLeg

{

active = True

guiActive = True

guiIcon = Lower Legs

guiName = Lower Legs

category = Lower Legs

guiActiveUnfocused = True

unfocusedRange = 4

externalToEVAOnly = True

}

RaiseLeg

{

active = False

Anyone else seeing this, or might it be another mod (I have few installed right now, ATM, USI Life Support, PF, and KJR).

I'm really getting the hang of N1 munar missions! Finally nailed the LK powered descent profile, and I even got the old girl properly gussied up for the trip...

http://i.imgur.com/ysc3ipb.png

Great greeble! Is most of that AIES?

It seems there are size issues with the HAMAL control block

http://i.imgur.com/TsedJ8J.png

I'm actually working on updated TweakScale configs right now. Had a big weekend project that ended up taking up a lot of my time IRL.

Speaking of: (off-topic?)

Meet IRL Alnair:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vdjxhw.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/1gq5mu.jpg

Yup, as Crisk say, the Kliper and its control surfaces will not really behave as a normal plane.

Try to think it is less flying and instead "falling with style" :wink:

E.g. Try launch it vertically and re-enter the atmosphere, you will find it allows you to steer a descent quite well!

Odd problem. I made a lander with the "Libra" parts. Good enough.

It keeps disappearing on the Mun, leaving debris...

I found the problem. I landed another vehicle nearby to make a base. All good, come back, Base module is there, my "Bug" lander is just gone, poof. Tried again, but this time I actually quick saved. Same thing happened, but when I reloaded the save and checked, the Libra lander had the Libra.Leg.A part not deployed… Switch back to KSC, for a while (long enough for a persistent save), and Bug is gone. Reload save. Deploy legs. Leave scene. Can return to Bug… if I have a persistent save, and load it (quit, restart), then the legs are stowed again.

What happens is it is stable, but when it reloads with the legs tucked in, it must fall over (maybe KSP treats it as "suborbital" for an instant?).

I checked a quick save with legs deployed, and the next persistent file...

Quicksave:

Persistent:

Anyone else seeing this, or might it be another mod (I have few installed right now, ATM, USI Life Support, PF, and KJR).

Hiya!

Thanks for the bug report, very interesting with what is recorded in the files.

There are known bugs with the landing legs resetting under timewarp, but no craft breaking problems have come forward so far, making me think it could be something else causing this. :)

I'll see if I can fix these damn legs from doing what they do once and for all.

Great greeble! Is most of that AIES?

Speaking of: (off-topic?)

Meet IRL Alnair: http://imgur.com/a/BId5g

Oh! You do make me blush :D

Cute little model rocket! I like this a lot!

MIR-2 Truss, Untextured.

11c707a220.jpg

FYI. The current DL distributes a cfg for DR compatiblity. it is not needed ATM so it is best to remove the file. It actual caused a minor conflict as the new DR edits the heat shields modules itself for compatibility and your file adds the old method on top. Starwaster may in the future leave the changes to you as he has in the past, may want to PM him.

FYI. The current DL distributes a cfg for DR compatiblity. it is not needed ATM so it is best to remove the file. It actual caused a minor conflict as the new DR edits the heat shields modules itself for compatibility and your file adds the old method on top. Starwaster may in the future leave the changes to you as he has in the past, may want to PM him.

Thanks for the info, I'll get rid of it.

Texture Truss

9ecfd8a94c.jpg

Stacked

237c352a86.jpg

In-game.

220d254251.jpg

Tomorrow, IGLA!

Edited by Beale

Beale, I think the only reason it is destructive is that the lander tips over… any error associated with time warp I suppose might make the craft become briefly "suborbital" and then deleted due to the larger physics radius now?

Try putting a Libra parts lander on the Mun, gear out. Then exit the game, and go back with another lander someplace nearby… then exit KSP, and see if the lander is in the tracking station. I can likely try tonight with a slightly more vanilla install for you.

Thanks for the info, I'll get rid of it.

Texture Truss

http://puu.sh/hL6om/9ecfd8a94c.jpg

Stacked

http://puu.sh/hL6xt/237c352a86.jpg

In-game.

http://puu.sh/hL7GP/220d254251.jpg

Glad to see this part getting started! What would make this part more useful, was if it were hollow inside. That way, you could insert different 1.25m modules inside it, or clip in batteries or MP tanks like the stock truss. It just currently looks a little bulky for what should be lightweight structural truss. Have you considered a dull white instead of gray?

Tomorrow, IGLA!

YESSSS!!! Can you make sure it folds forward, curved to the profile of the Soyuz OM, and not backwards like the current KURS dish does?

"Michetta" Lunar Lander TweakScale Demo

Javascript is disabled. View full album

TweakScale config progress! Mocked up a quick lander using rescaled FOBOS and Cygnus parts. (Probe, RCS, Kontact Docking Probe) Works like a charm so far. Got ATV, Cygnus, and FOBOS done, just working on Fuji now. Might get most of them done by the end of the night.

Edited by curtquarquesso

Tomorrow, IGLA!

International Lesbian & Gay Aquatics? Someone please tell me what that means before my mind wonders any further.

Edit: I have been informed that "IGLA" is in fact, not the International Lesbian & Gay Aquatics, but rather an antenna system.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

So, apparently new rescue contracts spawn capsules instead of Kerbals.

And these capsules can be from mods, too.

J7NXMoJ.jpg

This is (or better was) Khleb. Looks... creepy. Also, you can see Zond (without solar panels, as I haven't researched them yet).

And look at the pilot's name :wink:

Edit: I have been informed that "IGLA" is in fact, not the International Lesbian & Gay Aquatics, but rather an antenna system.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Instantaneous Gold Laminated Asparagus. Do your research! :D

So, apparently new rescue contracts spawn capsules instead of Kerbals.

And these capsules can be from mods, too.

http://i.imgur.com/J7NXMoJ.jpg

This is (or better was) Khleb. Looks... creepy. Also, you can see Zond (without solar panels, as I haven't researched them yet).

And look at the pilot's name :wink:

Oh I know whats going on when they spawn a pod for contracts they spawn it without resources which then triggers the ablation shader when there is no ablator. personally I edit the ablator out of my tantares mod pods sure its a nice gimmick but it's behavior is inconsistent with other parts I use.

Sorry, Beale, I was gonna test my issue for you tonight, but my daughter had a paper she put off writing until the night before it was due and she needed my computer (even though there are 3 others in the house, LOL). I watched Interstellar, instead :)

Yup, as Crisk say, the Kliper and its control surfaces will not really behave as a normal plane.

Try to think it is less flying and instead "falling with style" :wink:

E.g. Try launch it vertically and re-enter the atmosphere, you will find it allows you to steer a descent quite well!

I had very poor luck launching vertically - even inside a fairing, the kliper capsule produces a small amount of sideways "lift" which, even with a good amount of fins and reaction wheels, causes the rocket to veer and flip on the way up.

(the launcher being otherwise tested and known-stable). I'm sure there's just something I'm not doing right, but I haven't spent too much time trying to figure out what.

Tantares - prime contractor for Il-28 Beagle bomber rear turret mount!

0RaHpdh.jpg

(Yeah, I know that in reality Beagle bomber had 2x23mm cannons, not "Totally-not-mockup-of-Gatling-Gun-made-of-six-antennas". Gatlings look cooler. Deal with it.)

EDIT:

Cold War Rivals - Ilyushin Il-28 Beagle and Martin B-57 Canberra:

ew5MSN5.jpg

Sadly, not many people remember those two today.

(Canberra is kinda smaller than it should be, sorry!)

Edited by biohazard15

Cold War Rivals - Ilyushin Il-28 Beagle and Martin B-57 Canberra:

http://i.imgur.com/ew5MSN5.jpg

Sadly, not many people remember those two today.

(Canberra is kinda smaller than it should be, sorry!)

Needs bigger engines, and also you need to rotate the Canberra's cockpit bubble slightly off-centre (unless the Martin version didn't have that 'feature', I don't remember) :)

I had very poor luck launching vertically - even inside a fairing, the kliper capsule produces a small amount of sideways "lift" which, even with a good amount of fins and reaction wheels, causes the rocket to veer and flip on the way up.

(the launcher being otherwise tested and known-stable). I'm sure there's just something I'm not doing right, but I haven't spent too much time trying to figure out what.

Thank you for your feedback. I will create a few craft files with the Kliper and post them this evening. I have not experienced these problems, but I believe you.

These problems will be far easier to diagnose and fix after Beale has time to re-do the model. The real trouble is that the Kliper is currently a pod and a wing all in one. As a result, it flies/falls a little strangely.

Edit: FAR users, Ferram very kindly offered me a bit of advice via PM. Thank you, Ferram. :cool:

Edited by CrisK

Sorry, Beale, I was gonna test my issue for you tonight, but my daughter had a paper she put off writing until the night before it was due and she needed my computer (even though there are 3 others in the house, LOL). I watched Interstellar, instead :)

Well alright, alright, alright, alright.... :cool:

Needs bigger engines, and also you need to rotate the Canberra's cockpit bubble slightly off-centre (unless the Martin version didn't have that 'feature', I don't remember) :)

Actually, B-57 bombers had small engine nacelles - but RB-57s had a quite large intakes and a elongated wings. Interestingly, the "Bomber" variant came on the top in "Top Ceiling" contest (see Modular Rocket Engine thread for details).

Cockpit: AFAIK, B-57s had their cockpit in center - in contrast of British Canberras, which indeed had off-centered cockpit. Just like you, I'm not sure about that.

Both planes cannot break the sound barrier (which is obvious). Canberra is kinda tricky to fly - it can achieve up to 18 km, but it becomes basically uncontrollable. Beagle feels like a fighter jet - although it's slow (275m\s max) and it struggles above 10Km.

Actually, B-57 bombers had small engine nacelles - but RB-57s had a quite large intakes and a elongated wings.

Ah yes, this is true. I confused them with the later B-57 type, I thought All US models were like that ;) Well apart from the WB-57F which looks like Jeb put 2 fuel barrels on as air intakes ;)

Cockpit: AFAIK, B-57s had their cockpit in center - in contrast of British Canberras, which indeed had off-centered cockpit. Just like you, I'm not sure about that.

Ah, right. I'm too used to the original RAF version (we invented it, you know! ;) ).

ANYWAY this is rapidly drifting off-topic.

Beale I'm having trouble finding the Capella + Ariane parts in a science/career game? Are they all in the science tree? I can only find the Capella engine block :\

EDIT: I Should add I unlocked the entire science tree, but no parts :\

Edited by MDBenson

I can't believe that I didn't think of this, but please delete the PartDatabase.cfg file in your KSP folder. PartDatabase.cfg is a cache that KSP creates of all parts. It will have cached (saved) the old Kliper config, and it will ignore the changes in the new config.

Edit: Also, re-create any sub-assemblies that you have that contain the Lynx. KSP will cache the old config file in the subassemblies files.

Edited by CrisK

Hey I know this may be a noob question, but I have looked everywhere for the answer in this thread, I downloaded each of those craft files and they all give me the error that there is an invalid part for most of the MIR modules, its vega.solar.d. I have seen in the parts that there is no such part anymore, so how do I change it in order for it to work? thank you