[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

56 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

Is there any chance of waterfall plumes for electric engines? Not the end of the world but it is good to see.

Those *are* waterfall plumes :P

But, I will be making some custom ones.

Tug

ZSzg0y7.jpeg

21 hours ago, LmIkks77 said:

I've seen Tantares and CRE, but have you made any other part mods?

In case signatures are hidden for you, I have:

39 minutes ago, Beale said:

Tug

ZSzg0y7.jpeg

Just looked closer/opened the image url and noticed it lol sorry guess I need new glasses.

18 hours ago, Beale said:

Tug

ZSzg0y7.jpeg

Looking good! What docking system would all of this use? SSVP, APAS, or a hybrid port?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Looking good! What docking system would all of this use? SSVP, APAS, or a hybrid port?

Good question actually hahaha. Roughly I think by the time-frame it would be some kind of APAS-89 type thing. I'll probably have to make that then. The docked direction is really important for the engine blocks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgynous_Peripheral_Attach_System

HmY6CuP.png

More tug work

o5pBfLL.png

Next up is the giant extending telescopic part

dBafLFS.png

Edited by Beale

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Good question actually hahaha. Roughly I think by the time-frame it would be some kind of APAS-89 type thing. I'll probably have to make that then. The docked direction is really important for the engine blocks.

That's what I was figuring. Buran would also maybe possibly be flying at some sort of regular rate so it would be a standard too. 
The tug looks great btw, lot's of kit bashing potential with the insulation blankets.

On 8/6/2024 at 4:36 AM, Beale said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgynous_Peripheral_Attach_System

HmY6CuP.png

More tug work

o5pBfLL.png

Next up is the giant extending telescopic part

dBafLFS.png

I don't think you would need to make an APAS-89, benjee has already made an APAS port. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, crberus said:

How will the landing vehicle look like... One can only imagine as of now. More detailed renditions of soviet/russian marsian modules looked... Non-trivial.

We actually have a really good drawing of this one:

uvXwuQw.pngVrwF18h.png

This is basically a separate project entirely though tbh, and you'll be able to use whatever vehicle you want to get it to Mars (or Duna).
Likewise you could attach whatever lander you wanted to the MEK, or even an airless lander for outer solar system.

zGPkQaA.png

6Ql5QhU.png
MIyL7uR.png

DlpYkDM.png

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

And at that point, we can mockup most of the whole thing, to give you a sense of scale:

NVZLvUn.png

dh4y7c5.png

Proton first stage for scale:

yUxjmsZ.png

With how long it is I am debating to throw on a Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mikes or Penn Station logo on it.

It takes flight.

Unfortunately yes, the pistons will require that you have Breaking Ground installed. If you don't, they will simply not show up in the VAB.

IqofBRd.jpeg

M8CJLXJ.jpeg

C5Uzymv.png

k7rSkgC.png

13 minutes ago, Beale said:

It takes flight.

Unfortunately yes, the pistons will require that you have Breaking Ground installed. If you don't, they will simply not show up in the VAB.

IqofBRd.jpeg

M8CJLXJ.jpeg

C5Uzymv.png

k7rSkgC.png

Breaking news! Soviets just finished orbital assembly of a gaint nuclear space noodle and now are ready for a manned mission to Mars!
Amazing work!

23 minutes ago, Beale said:

It takes flight.

Great work! Now on to the lander!

Also, I wish there was a way to make robotic parts act like animations (I.e. Wheels, solar panels, etc) when robotics aren't installed. I have BG, but I know some to a lot of people don't, and thus will miss out on your great parts. 

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Great work! Now on to the lander!

Also, I wish there was a way to make robotic parts act like animations (I.e. Wheels, solar panels, etc) when robotics aren't installed. I have BG, but I know some to a lot of people don't, and thus will miss out on your great parts. 

What about Infernal Robotics? I own BG, but I know IR's been around for a lot longer and IIRC, its still being maintained?

2 hours ago, Grenartia said:

What about Infernal Robotics? I own BG, but I know IR's been around for a lot longer and IIRC, its still being maintained?

I'm not sure if IR can be substituted for BG. 

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I'm not sure if IR can be substituted for BG. 

I vaguely recall BDB and I think some of benjee10's mods having done it but I may be mistaken. Perhaps they might know how to do it?

You may get into trouble. It's easier to do this with BG, what's the problem? This add-on came out a long time ago, it is almost free on sale. And it is much cheaper in price than KSP2 (on the basis of which you planned the further development of Tantares)

On 8/10/2024 at 9:34 AM, marxman28 said:

Tried the Beryl parts for the first time...

3yrgcpdojg4.png

Seems suboptimal.

Whoops!

If you can log a bug for that on the tantaressp github that would be great, that way won't be forgotten.

8 hours ago, BadModder54 said:

Is there an up-to-date craft file anywhere for Mir?  Apologies if I missed it.

I think there are craft files for each part of Mir in the download, but not one for the entire station, could be good to add.

Mir looks intimidating, but not so bad to build once you see all the modules laid out:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Mir_diagram.svg/800px-Mir_diagram.svg.png

On 8/10/2024 at 2:54 AM, Grenartia said:

It's unfortunately quite messy to make it work properly, you need to kind of basically ship two separate parts that get merged into one whether you have IR / BG or not. For simplicity's sake I think it has to be BG.

On 8/11/2024 at 8:13 PM, Beale said:

Mir looks intimidating, but not so bad to build once you see all the modules laid out

...until you want to perform all the IRL movements of modules in a historically accurate sequence.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, crberus said:

...until you want to perform all the IRL movements of modules in a historically accurate sequence.

We just ignore that part!

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

Focus has been on improving PBR, for which there will be a forum post soon. We've hopefully made the conversion process very easy, so that mod authors, or if absent, anyone can patch PBR onto existing part mods in a (somewhat) easy way.

This isn't using TU, but a new more lightweight thing.

cgKRoFn.png

iMzqeMI.jpeg

nQWDAvM.png

WvWJNGD.png

fVqK4bf.png

9iWSpqp.png

Edited by Beale