[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

Huh the legs look good, but not realistic. The stock legs are some of my least favourite parts cause they don't look anything like real landing legs. Below is a picture of Viking at the National Air and Space museum. All flown (and almost all concept) Moon and Mars landers have had legs that look like it. There are no exceptions that I know of.

viking_MOF.gif

Also, since the LPU assembly won't be separable do you thing you could make it lower profile, and maybe angled in a little bit?

Well, you are the expert. I'm sorry if my request came off in a negative manner. I simply like your work and want to show my appreciation by offering ideas.

The legs look good, and you already know that I like the gold.

Crazy idea #2: a Fallout Virgo II LK texture. I kid. ;)

Non no, don't worry. I know it is only ideas.

Virgo 2: Somewhere I have used textures from the in-game fallout 3 textures (Just the grime and stuff) - but I definitely have the Virgo 2 sheet somewhere! :)

Huh the legs look good, but not realistic. The stock legs are some of my least favourite parts cause they don't look anything like real landing legs. Below is a picture of Viking at the National Air and Space museum. All flown (and almost all concept) Moon and Mars landers have had legs that look like it. There are no exceptions that I know of.

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/exploring-the-planets/online/mars/marsimg/viking_MOF.gif

Also, since the LPU assembly won't be separable do you thing you could make it lower profile, and maybe angled in a little bit?

LK legs are an exception - very simple style, but just with two suspension supports.

979fb71667.jpg

But, yeah, I know what you mean - real legs are very more hydraulic.

Your idea for LPU - can't quite understand, can you sketch it out maybe? :)

Sorry I can't write English to save my life tonight - bleh.

Non no, don't worry. I know it is only ideas.

LK legs are an exception - very simple style, but just with two suspension supports.

http://puu.sh/glfDm/979fb71667.jpg

But, yeah, I know what you mean - real legs are very more hydraulic.

I agree with Kibble. The stock legs don't make any sense from an engineering perspective. It puts all the load in the wrong place. The two struts going from the foot-pad to the base of the structure are crucial. I believe AIES Aerospace has some good parts you could reference.

The two suspension supports is what I was referring to! As well as the whole deployment mechanism, although I don't completely understand the engineering behind it. Plus rounded foot-pads with a lot of surface area.

Your idea for LPU - can't quite understand, can you sketch it out maybe? :)

I just meant make the structure around Blok E fit a little closer.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but the 'Priority' antenna can't open or close. I use tweakable everything so I can open it in the VAB, but I can't use action groups or manually open it in flight. It does display 'locked' when I right click it, however.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but the 'Priority' antenna can't open or close. I use tweakable everything so I can open it in the VAB, but I can't use action groups or manually open it in flight. It does display 'locked' when I right click it, however.

I had the same thing happen with the TKS backup antenna. I'd blame it on a bug in Tweakable Everything, since Tantares has no dependencies.

Realistic landing legs would be tough, especially when the real LK legs have suspension arms running all the way under the fuel tank/engine structure. Maybe this would look a little better though:

3ojMjIs.jpg

That red line could be instead of or in addition to the existing suspension arm.

I had the same thing happen with the TKS backup antenna. I'd blame it on a bug in Tweakable Everything, since Tantares has no dependencies.

Hm, the backup antenna works for me, but the big one doesn't. The solution I found was to edit the config to use Firespitter animation modules instead, since I already had the plugin installed.

Firstly, real sorry - Knee deep in my thesis now. So active development will be awfully slow.

Please, keep bug reports and such coming in - as generally they are quick fixes. But, modelling and texturing will suffer for a while.

Turns out you can make a cute little Kliper with the Spektr pod. Because of the aerodynamics and lifting bodies in Kerbal it doesn't really fly, but it does fall with style!

http://imgur.com/a/M8kPd

Very nice, I like a lot!

There is chance, for me to make Kliper after PPTS, adaptation from Niemand's old Kliper models from MOSOI.

Do you use RemoteTech by chance?

The two suspension supports is what I was referring to! As well as the whole deployment mechanism, although I don't completely understand the engineering behind it. Plus rounded foot-pads with a lot of surface area.

I just meant make the structure around Blok E fit a little closer.

Block E - I don't really want to change that, as it is currently really spot on the orthographic, I like to keep it accurate. :)

Leg suspension, maybe I can fix that - having a few problems here.

Realistic landing legs would be tough, especially when the real LK legs have suspension arms running all the way under the fuel tank/engine structure. Maybe this would look a little better though:

http://i.imgur.com/3ojMjIs.jpg

That red line could be instead of or in addition to the existing suspension arm.

Yeah, this is an easy alteration, good idea!

Firstly, real sorry - Knee deep in my thesis now. So active development will be awfully slow.

Oh, I thought Tantares WAS your thesis :wink:

Understood, RL has priority. Hope it's going well!

There is chance, for me to make Kliper after PPTS, adaptation from Niemand's old Kliper models from MOSOI.

That would be very cool.

So, ive updated my 0.24.2 career with latest Tantares parts, and i have a blast!. New textures are way better than od ones. Couple of problems came up:

1) Almach, G-OP, TK and PP+ chutes seem stock. Is that intentional? Im positive that at least almach used to work with 24.2 realchutes.

2) TST return chute, staging or pressing 'decouple' decouples the chute itself if nothing is stacked above it.

3) Fuji heatshield is about 1m wider than the command module.

4) T-OMS top attachment node seems off. Part clips well inside anything above it. Soyuz pod`s bottom node clips things alittle aswell, only 1/4 of it sticks out.

76HbCzps.png?1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.585, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.585, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Which value moves nodes vertically?

I realise that being 2 versions behind may cause problems, but until now Tantares pack seemed pretty backward-compatible.

Edit: Also, over 500 pages. Congrats are in order!

Edited by Plusk
Typo

I realise that being 2 versions behind may cause problems, but until now Tantares pack seemed pretty backward-compatible.

IIRC, in 0.25 Squad fixed some scaling-related bugs, and since new parts are made without keeping these bugs in mind, they'll be scaled wrong.

Why do you use an old version, BTW?

Why do you use an old version, BTW?

In 0.90, having only a half of my 24.2 mods im running out of memory in about 30 minutes. 24.2 is stable @ 3.58gb after 3-4h, while 0.90 crashes @ 3gb in said 30 min. So yeah, still waiting for U5.

Those legs honestly look WAY too small to me, maybe it's just the perspective, but in your post on the dev forum it looks like they aren't even as tall as the fuel tank...

Mmm, they're scaled to the orthographics, so they should be reasonably close. Maybe I'll take another look at size when they're working.

Holy quick-reply! In most of the pictures I've seen, the leg struts are around the same length as the diameter of the cabin 'sphere', but I would trust your blueprint over my eyeballing.

Ohoho

No, you may be right, they certainly feel small..., I'll play around with the rescale factor :)

Beale, I know it would be a tremendous pain in the butt, but....

would you consider changing from the old "part.cfg" for every part to the new "partname.cfg" for your configs?

I'm trying to do Coolrockets configs, and having several of your "part.cfg" files open in Notepad++ is *really* confusing. Squads choice to switch over to "partname.cfg" makes editing/comparing configs way easier...

Just a thought.

/ ALV_Engine_A.cfg\/ALV_Engine_B.cfg\

much better then

/part.cfg \/part.cfg \

Beale, I know it would be a tremendous pain in the butt, but....

would you consider changing from the old "part.cfg" for every part to the new "partname.cfg" for your configs?

I'm trying to do Coolrockets configs, and having several of your "part.cfg" files open in Notepad++ is *really* confusing. Squads choice to switch over to "partname.cfg" makes editing/comparing configs way easier...

Just a thought.

/ ALV_Engine_A.cfg\/ALV_Engine_B.cfg\

much better then

/part.cfg \/part.cfg \

Yup, it's already happening. Im converting the configs names. So no worries.

The N-1 folder is a good example of how Im reorganizing.

It is more a pain in the butt when they all have the same name - yeah I use N++ also.

So, ive updated my 0.24.2 career with latest Tantares parts, and i have a blast!. New textures are way better than od ones. Couple of problems came up:

1) Almach, G-OP, TK and PP+ chutes seem stock. Is that intentional? Im positive that at least almach used to work with 24.2 realchutes.

2) TST return chute, staging or pressing 'decouple' decouples the chute itself if nothing is stacked above it.

3) Fuji heatshield is about 1m wider than the command module.

4) T-OMS top attachment node seems off. Part clips well inside anything above it. Soyuz pod`s bottom node clips things alittle aswell, only 1/4 of it sticks out.

http://i.imgur.com/76HbCzps.png?1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.585, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.585, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Which value moves nodes vertically?

Try the second value for vertical! :)

But yeah 0.24 support I can't guarantee things to work, you'll understand °^°

Edited by Beale